Search

Getting ECU 261 Compensation from IB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Was downgraded last November on the MAD-MIA leg of a VCE-MAD-MIA trip as a plane with smaller J cabin was substituted for our flight.

Filed a complaint with Iberia through their website and also wrote to AESA or Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aerea which manages these compaints. Haven't heard back from Iberia but today got a letter from AESA stating that they've reviewed the case and that Iberia does in fact owe us 75% of the cost of the ticket.

The claim on Iberia.com shows as "closed" and have not received any compensation.

Any info or help is appreciated. FYI, ticket was bought with 50,000 AA miles, so I think we are owed 37,500 miles or the cost to purchase these miles which is currently $1,200.00.

Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's actually 75% of the MAD-MIA segment, so somewhat short of 37,500. As you can see, it was a waste of your time to have complained to AESA as, like all the NEB's, IB could care less.

As a starting point, you will need to go back to IB to figure out why it lists the claim as "closed" when it ought not to be and then what the status is.

If you can't get this handled yourself, you will likely need a claims agency and I am not sure if any will handle a mileage claim.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well, Iberia are not really in a position to give you back 37500 AA miles (Avios would be a different matter), and unfortunately you're quite unlikely to be given the cash equivalent of buying those miles. You're more likely to be successful with an argument for 75% of the difference in cash fare between J and Y.

You need to go back to IB or get yourself a lawyer / claims agent.

Have you tried a complaining to AA? It's not their responsibility, but they do tend to throw around goodwill miles for delays, broken IFE, etc..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.