Bid or Buy Upgrade?

Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by eugnk
I From the booking moment and until bidding period end only a bid for TLV->MAD sector was possible. My rather low bid was eventually successful. During OLCI a cool 530$ upgrade offer for MAD->SCL sector appeared.
Interesting if the trip was on a single PNR...
BTW the one thing annoying about IB's paid upgrades is that they don't entitle you to the higher avios and tier points (unlike BA for example).

Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:22 am
Gho

Programs: Ba, Iberia, icelandair
Paid for upgrade successes iberia

I am in the last leg of the error fare BRU-MAD-NRT-MAD-VIE. Fare was Ł180 ^
My experience on the legs was as follows with paid for upgrades. All were done via the Iberia website one week before flying the sector
MAD-NRT Ł519.00 to business accepted
NRT-MAD Ł400.00 to business accepted
MAD-VIE Ł34 (cheeky) build to business accepted
I am an Iberia Plus member that might have helped and I have a friend in Japan that gave me a reason to visit! And my sister lives in Vienna which made the idea of this return even better

All in all, just over Ł1k for business return. And the Iberia product is good.

Hope this helps in any bidding you have coming up.

GHO
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Does Iberia let you bid for upgrades if you book the flights as an AA codeshare?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I just flew mad-ord yesterday Dec 7. As I had booked with American, it was not possible to bid for an upgrade at all. I checked with business, at check-in and at the gate. An upgrade via American was 1200 euros. I declined. Business went out half empty. However there was no one in coach. I had 4 seats to myself and there were completely empty rows in the back. Plane arrived almost an hour early, and it was a very comfortable flight. I am glad to have saved the €€. But it makes no sense for them to turn down an extra 400€ on an empty flight. Bottom line, book with Iberia if you want to bid for an upgrade!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Gho
I am in the last leg of the error fare BRU-MAD-NRT-MAD-VIE. Fare was Ł180 ^
My experience on the legs was as follows with paid for upgrades. All were done via the Iberia website one week before flying the sector
MAD-NRT Ł519.00 to business accepted
NRT-MAD Ł400.00 to business accepted
MAD-VIE Ł34 (cheeky) build to business accepted
I am an Iberia Plus member that might have helped and I have a friend in Japan that gave me a reason to visit! And my sister lives in Vienna which made the idea of this return even better

All in all, just over Ł1k for business return. And the Iberia product is good.

Hope this helps in any bidding you have coming up.

GHO
How did you bid just Ł34 for MAD-VIE?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:18 am
Gho

Paid for upgrade successes iberia

How did you bid just Ł34 for MAD-VIE?

I know, I was wondering this myself, but I bid, it accepted my bid (it was just one "hammer") and it was succesful.

Even better was that it was an IB A320 with the large 2x2 seats and plenty of legroom. Best I have experienced on an inter-European flight.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Gho

Even better was that it was an IB A320 with the large 2x2 seats and plenty of legroom. Best I have experienced on an inter-European flight.
Glad it was a good experience. Just to be pedantic with aircraft (this is FT, after all) it's a subfleet of the 319s that are in the mid-haul configuration with the 2x2 business cabin.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC
How do you find out what the minimum is? I'm interested in upgrading the madrid to havana leg of a flight in march
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:07 am
Gho

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Glad it was a good experience. Just to be pedantic with aircraft (this is FT, after all) it's a subfleet of the 319s that are in the mid-haul configuration with the 2x2 business cabin.
Indeed it was. A quick look at Seat Guru confirmed that. Great seat but not as good as the olive oil and bread they start every meal with. mmm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
I just flew MAD-MIA on 12/10/17 on a ticket in IB premium economy purchased directly through BA's website. I asked at check-in at Barajas about buying an upgrade and was offered one for 300 euros. Needless to say I took it. I was not reticketed - I got a receipt for a class upgrade. My boarding pass still had my BA ticket number, although the fare class was now U (upgrade) and not T (premium economy).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by thorofare
I just flew MAD-MIA on 12/10/17 on a ticket in IB premium economy purchased directly through BA's website. I asked at check-in at Barajas about buying an upgrade and was offered one for 300 euros. Needless to say I took it. I was not reticketed - I got a receipt for a class upgrade. My boarding pass still had my BA ticket number, although the fare class was now U (upgrade) and not T (premium economy).
HI thorofare,

can you please advise if the miles corresponding to premium economy(T) have posted correctly?

Thanks,

​​​​​​​
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I flew MAD-LHR yesterday and accepted the offer of a €46 upgrade to business class, presented when I tried to check-in for the flight using the Iberia app.

The app failed to complete the upgrade, it also failed to check me in. A few hours later, i jumped onto the Iberia website hoping to have a second crack at checking in. Low and behold, the upgraded seat was still showing and hadn't disappeared into the ether as I thought it had. I was then able to complete the payment and boom, i retrieved the BP on my iPhone.

Note: the underlying ticket was issued on 075 (IB) stock

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.