FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Minimum connection time at Madrid? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1795126-minimum-connection-time-madrid.html)

BA6501 Mar 28, 2019 5:34 pm

It's under MCT, you will probably be rebooked automatically in a few days when the system catches up. I'd probably call up and ask for exactly what you want, though.

BuffaloBills10 Dec 26, 2019 11:03 pm

Hey all,

Itinerary is as followed for me

ATL - MAD on DL
MAD - TFS on IB

I have a three hour layover between the two flights and they are on two separate tickets. If everything is on time should this be feasible? I do not carry OneWorld status and do not have expedited check-in abilities. Have never been to MAD or flown on IB before so wanted to make sure.

LupineChemist Dec 27, 2019 1:03 am

It should be okay if all is on time and no checked luggage.

With luggage it might be tight.

craigthemif Dec 27, 2019 2:34 am

Originally Posted by BuffaloBills10 (Post 31879541)
Hey all,

ATL - MAD on DL
MAD - TFS on IB

I have a three hour layover between the two flights and they are on two separate tickets. If everything is on time should this be feasible? I do not carry OneWorld status and do not have expedited check-in abilities. Have never been to MAD or flown on IB before so wanted to make sure.

You will have to take a bus to change terminals.

Will be very tight if you check luggage and any serious delay kills your chances.

tobsw Dec 27, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by BuffaloBills10 (Post 31879541)
Hey all,

ATL - MAD on DL
MAD - TFS on IB

As long as you don't waste your time... and your DL flight is on time, it's doable. You only need to change terminal, to T4. There's a shuttle bus service (free) between terminals.

IB check-in time for domestic flights closes 45 min prior to departure.

jmsfla2002 Dec 31, 2019 6:25 am

Doable?

There’s biz award availability on Iberia’s IAD-MAD flight that arrives at 10:15am but no award availability on the Air Nostrum noon MAD-GRX. The next MAD-GRX flight is at 4:20pm. If I don’t check a bag, how doable is connecting to the noon flight on separate tickets? I’ve been to Madrid but not the airport. Thanks!

craigthemif Dec 31, 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by jmsfla2002 (Post 31892426)
There’s biz award availability on Iberia’s IAD-MAD flight that arrives at 10:15am but no award availability on the Air Nostrum noon MAD-GRX. The next MAD-GRX flight is at 4:20pm. If I don’t check a bag, how doable is connecting to the noon flight on separate tickets? I’ve been to Madrid but not the airport. Thanks!

With no mobility issues and no checked bags, you'd have a decent chance of making it. You will have to clear passport control and security again.

Most importantly, just have a Plan B in case you miss the noon MAD-GRX, and book it as a one-way so no further travel is impacted by a missed flight.

tobsw Dec 31, 2019 7:43 am

If your flight lands and on-time, it's doable even with luggage.

I've recently self-connected arriving with BA at 9:55, cleared passport, T4S to T4, collected baggage and checked in for a domestic departure at 11:45. I still had 25 min to spare. I had a plan B, just in case.

With HBO it's perfectly doable. You have to clear immigration and security regardless (connecting or separate tickets).

If your IAD plane is late, then you may need a plan B.

schrodingerdog Jan 4, 2020 8:29 am

Originally Posted by tobsw (Post 31892646)
If your flight lands and on-time, it's doable even with luggage.

I've recently self-connected arriving with BA at 9:55, cleared passport, T4S to T4, collected baggage and checked in for a domestic departure at 11:45. I still had 25 min to spare. I had a plan B, just in case.

With HBO it's perfectly doable. You have to clear immigration and security regardless (connecting or separate tickets).

If your IAD plane is late, then you may need a plan B.

You should not need to clear security coming from the UK, Ireland or the US. IB flights that arrive in the non-Schengen area of the T4 do not clear security when arriving (after passport control you are in the main T4 area) and my understanding is that in T4S flights from these countries if you follow connections they put you on the departures area of the T4S (and there you can clear immigration and go to the T4 if needed).

tobsw Jan 4, 2020 3:50 pm

IB and IBS non-Shengen arrivals in T4 don't have to clear security.

But if you land from a non-Shengen origin in T4S and have a T4 or T4S connection, you have to go through security - there's no alternative option. (There's a small security channel next to the IB booth before immigration, for T4S connections, and there's a rather large security channel when you arrive with the train in T4, on your way up to the departure floors).

BA6501 Jan 4, 2020 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog (Post 31908054)
and my understanding is that in T4S flights from these countries if you follow connections they put you on the departures area of the T4S (and there you can clear immigration and go to the T4 if needed).

While it might have been like this previously, all arrivals into T4S now go to the 'upstairs stream' where all pax reclear security or proceed to immigration.

(Not sure if this happens on FRA-MAD-SCL, though.)

tnt10 Jan 19, 2020 11:12 am

So since this is clear as, er, mud, I thought I'd post and ask the experts here on Flyertalk about my specific situation:
We will be flying LHR to MAD, (on IB), connecting to MAD to EAS (on Air Nostrum)... all booked via BA using Avios.
Connection time in MAD is 1 hr 10 mins. Info shows IB flight arriving into MAD at terminal 4, and connecting Air Nostrum flight departing from terminal 4.
Should I be concerned? (Will have 2 carry-on luggage, if that makes a difference, as well as luggage checked through in the hold). Thanks everyone for your valuable info and insight!!

Chorbs Jan 19, 2020 3:16 pm

You will be arriving at H gates and departing from K gates at the other end of the terminal. 1h 10min is plenty of time.

tnt10 Jan 19, 2020 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Chorbs (Post 31970370)
You will be arriving at H gates and departing from K gates at the other end of the terminal. 1h 10min is plenty of time.

Thank you very much!! One less thing to worry about...... Now, about flying Air Nostrum on an ATR 72....(I know, topic for another thread!!).
Thanks again!!

james318 Jan 21, 2020 6:45 am

Looking for a reasonable MCT on this with checked bags, in J on the ORD-MAD segment.

AA - DFW-ORD
IB - ORD-MAD
<separate ticket>
IB - MAD-BCN

I realize there are quite a few MAD-BCN flights, but if I miss mine, will IB accommodate me on another one?