Minimum connection time at Madrid?

Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's nice to see a post based on realistic expectations. Let us know how it goes...

Of course, some people might not mind simply paying the 4,500 Avios + tax in advance and taking their chances. One of the things about IB is that they have padded schedules in order to claim good on-time performance, so on-time or early is something that you can gamble on with some confidence...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Thanks LupineChemist, and of course you're right. It's MUC-MAD tonight...

Yes, I was wondering about minimum check-in time.

And craigthemif, I'm almost with you on taking the gamble... I had been looking on BA and they only had availability in business, but I've just checked on iberia and they have economy. It's still 6,750 avios plus 32 euros, mind, so I still have a little pause for thought...

I might wait until we're boarded at MUC and press the button if it all still looks good. Agree that the usual padding in the schedules should make it very do-able.

Thanks again
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I doubt you would be able to check in with under an hour to go before departure - that's the deadline mentioned on iberia.com
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:39 am

Thanks, BA6501!
Looks like I'll have to take the gamble at the Munich departure stage...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:13 am

Just to update: this turned out to be an absolute breeze.

I waited until boarding was complete at MUC, saw we were ahead of schedule, booked the MAD-ALC flight on avios and checked in.

We ended up arriving at Madrid a few minutes early and I even had time for a brief stop in the lounge before heading all the way off to K92 (if memory serves) for the late flight to the coast.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
My flight from SVQ to MAD is 09:20-10:30 Terminal 4
MAD-PVG 1205-07:50+1 Terminal 4S
These are two separate tickets wit two different booking reference numbers.
Iberia won't through check bag on a separate ticket.
On time rate of flight SVQ to MAD is 86%
I have 95 minutes between two flights. Is it enough to claim bag and re-check in?
Official website suggests 55 minutes is minimum required. I wonder is it doable?
I can also do hand bag only if it would be safer to connect my flight to PVG.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by TransAsia; Jan 31, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by TransAsia
Two flights and two separate tickets.
Iberia won't through check bag on a separate ticket
I have 95 minutes between two flights. Is it enough to claim bag and re-check in?
Official says 55 minutes is minimum required. I wonder is it doable?
Any suggestions?
Go hand luggage only.

This is very tight with luggage. Ground handling at MAD is certainly a weak point. Hand luggage only and then just get straight on the train to T4S and it should be enough assuming no delays.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Two flights and two separate tickets.
Iberia won't through check bag on a separate ticket
Official says 55 minutes is minimum required. I wonder is it doable?
Any suggestions?
HBO for sure.

I am always amazed that people are willing to risk no-showing expensive long-haul flights like this...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
HBO for sure.

I am always amazed that people are willing to risk no-showing expensive long-haul flights like this...
My choices are very limited. I have booked the earliest flight from SVQ to MAD on my departure day. There is no AVE train from Seville to Madrid Atocha station on my departure date, even the day before if I want to stay overnight. Is Mar. 5th and 6th any special holiday in Spain? There is a 06:45 flight from XRY (Jerez) to MAD. But is it worthwhile to get a taxi from Seville Santa Justa station all the way down to XRY to catch a flight?

Last edited by TransAsia; Jan 31, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My choices are very limited. I have booked the earliest flight from SVQ to MAD on my departure day. There is no AVE train from Seville to Madrid Atocha station on my departure date, even the day before. Is Mar. 5th and 6th any special holiday in Spain? There is an 06:45 flight from XRY (Jerez) to MAD. But is it worthwhile to get a taxi from Seville Santa Justa station al way down to XRY?
I wasn't targetting your itinerary in particular. I would stay the night before in MAD if I couldn't put the connecting flight on the same ticket, but I get that other people might have other plans and can't be so cautious.

P.S. The problem isn't that there are no trains - it's that Renfe often doesn't release AVE seats for sale very far in advance. Right now I think only up until 3 March is for sale... Check the schedule for an earlier date to know if a train would work better.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:51 pm

Hi folks,

Looking at a flight that is JFK-Madrid-Barcelona. The connection is 1:15, and we will have checked bags.

I understand there are tons of flights between Madrid and Barcelona, so missing the connection should be an issue right?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:05 pm

Yes, if it's all on the same reservation you should definitely book the shortest one (unless, for instance, you wanted to take a shower in MAD), there are tons of flights to be rebooked on if there is a delay.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Yes, if it's all on the same reservation you should definitely book the shortest one (unless, for instance, you wanted to take a shower in MAD), there are tons of flights to be rebooked on if there is a delay.
Great, thanks.

Now Im trying to figure out if theres a baggage fee?

The booking comes up as a Finnair flight operated by Iberia. Economy class fare type O. I am getting conflicting information if there is a charge or not.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:12 am

I've got AGP-MAD-MAN booked for May connecting IB8809 to IB3692 and just received notification that IB8809 has been rescheduled so the connection time is now just 35 minutes (arrives 15.10, connection departs 15.45). I can't remember if MAD-MAN leaves from 4S (and I'm assuming there's no hope if it does) and I'm currently sat at the very back of the bus, so wondering if it's worth trying to find another routing?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
MAN leaves from T4 main and it's doable if everything goes right. But regardless it's now under MCT so you can see if you can get an earlier flight to MAD or go with BA through LHR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.