Search

Customer SERVICE?? !!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Angry Customer SERVICE?? !!!

Hello all,

I am not sure how frequently computer errors happen on Iberia's online booking site, but the story is worth telling, if only as a warning to others.

I booked today a Paris - Madrid - Paris trip in "Promotional Business Class" at a price so low that it made no sense to buy the trip as a Oneworld Award with AA miles. All apparently went well (I checked the dates on all screens) until I received an email confirmation message with a departure date in July instead of August. That was at 1.21 PM

At 1.23 PM I called the Iberia Plus Center (I am Oneworld Emerald through AA) where I was told that this was a "Change of Plans" (??!!... In two minutes ?) and that, for a change of plans, the fee was 60 Euros. I replied that this was preposterous, that I was not responsible for Iberia computers' errors, and I demanded to speak to a supervisor or manager. There are none.

As to contacting Iberia by email, this is all but impossible.

Does anybody on this board have any experience with dealing with those people ?

Thank you
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Skywards, HHonors
They are tricky people to deal with IME.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:07 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If you are based in NYC and purchased the transaction on IB US web side, 24 hour hold/cancellation period is a DOT mandate. Do you have proof you contacted them within first 24 hours? If yes, use online form (https://www.iberia.com/web/program.do?menuId=CEATCL)
to basically tell them you are complaining to DOT (it can be done for free on DOT web site) unless your case is addressed.

PS> Technically if they offer free on-hold booking facility they do not have to offer 24 hour cancellation period, but it will cost you nothing to try to use the DOT argument...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The DOT are unlikely to get involved in a Paris to Madrid itinerary that has nothing to do with the U.S.

I personally find it hard to believe that the Iberia website magically moved the OP's date of travel one month forward, but best of luck to the OP as no matter what avenue is pursued, it will be one person's word against a large company's. Pay the 60 euros before the fare goes up on the desired dates and resolve to never fly Iberia again...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Thanks all...

Looks like I spoke to an intellectually challenged agent the first time (I miss the times when one could simply say "Moron", this political correctness is killing us). I should simply have HUACA (Hang Up And Call Again).

I did call again 2 hours later, prepared to accept the charge as I needed to have confirmed flights, but the agent of the 2nd call made no difficulty whatsoever and rectified the error in no time.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked flights for myself and 7 year old child back in January.
When part of the journey was changed from Iberia to Vueling, our seats were split up to different sections of the plane. Changing this involved several miserable phone calls.
Haven't been able to select seats on the long haul parts of our trip; even though I should be able to select certain seats for free, the system won't allow us options where we are together and would be entirely happy to let us choose to sit apart. Something seemed wrong, but I couldn't work out what it was.

Today I went online to see what meals are available to order. Couldn't do this without putting contact details in. Then I couldn't put in my contact details because the system has recorded my child as an adult and insists on having her email and mobile number.
Called Iberia. No way would the agent amend the system to reflect that my child is a child. They saw she paid for a child fare and have her date of Birth. Apparently, the OTA I used didn't enter her birth date in a specific field and Iberia would only make the change if the OTA contacts them.

Thankfully, my OTA were easy to get hold of and were much more pleasant to deal with. So, after a good ten minutes talking to Iberia they seem to have managed to convince them to record my child as a child in the correct part of Iberia's system.

One would think that Iberia would be grateful to find out that there is a weakness in their system - there are obviously several markers that could flag up if a passenger is a child but only one (one that is not necessary to complete a booking) counts in the system. But no. The system is in place and needs to be adhered to, no matter what.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now my child is a child in the system.

However, the system still insists that I provide an email and mobile number for her (this seems vaguely illegal to me - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37359470 specifically the part about companies must not keep dossiers on children which can later be used to scam them - obviously, I've entered mine)

It's also still happy to give us seats for free, in different locations.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I can't even register for any of the promotions that I am offered by email, such as double or triple miles to wherever. It always ends in a mess, with errors and time wasting. It's this sort of thing that prevents me from making Iberia Plus as my main oneworld programme, even though I am completely off British Airways. It seems impossible, or truly not worth all the endless effort, to sort things out each time. The customer service attitude is DREADFUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.