Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

How to Prevent Iberia Avios from Expiring?

Old May 30, 16, 8:22 am
Original Poster

I and two family members have Iberia accounts that I'd like to keep active so that when I need to I can xfer British Avios on short notice. The 125 points I had in one Iberia account expired (gasp!). We have 1K points in another account, expiration unknown; and have just xferred 250 MR's into another account so that it will have more than 0 points, and therefore be eligible for British Avios xfer when the opportunity arises.

According to the Iberia website, "The issuing or acceptance of Avios transferred is not considered an activity." How to keep Iberians from expiring? The only method I can see is to buy them, 2K for 54 Euros, but this looks like a poor value, unless you're trying to rescue a boatload from expiration. Does xfer of AMEX MR's work? Ideas?
Old May 30, 16, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you set your iberia.com country setting to Spain, you will get the chance to use the Iberia shopping portal. At the moment, you can sign up for Amazon VIP (no idea what it really is, but you can set your account to receive only one spam email per week) and get a few free Avios. That should keep your account active when they eventually post.
Old May 30, 16, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
You can buy 2k Avios via Groupon for 19 €, which is a good deal:
https://www.groupon.es/deals/ga-avios-iberia-2

There's a looong thread about it, too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...ios-spain.html

edit: that opportunity is dead. The promo has expired. Sorry...

Last edited by bhomburg; May 30, 16 at 4:55 pm Reason: oops....
Old May 31, 16, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks people. Or, could I simply transfer the Avios from Iberia back to British, where there are more ways to keep them from expiring? I realize that the transfer in and of itself does not re-set a clock, but the points would then be subject to the same expiration as the other British points, right? Let's say I had Avios in Iberia that were going to expire in two months, and I moved them to British where the existing Avios were due to expire in 18 months, would the newly moved avios also expire in 18 months?
Old May 31, 16, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GoGreen View Post
Thanks people. Or, could I simply transfer the Avios from Iberia back to British, where there are more ways to keep them from expiring? I realize that the transfer in and of itself does not re-set a clock, but the points would then be subject to the same expiration as the other British points, right? Let's say I had Avios in Iberia that were going to expire in two months, and I moved them to British where the existing Avios were due to expire in 18 months, would the newly moved avios also expire in 18 months?
Now you're confusing things I think. It seems to me it's not so much about saving a handful of Avios, but keeping nice clean, standard, active Iberia Plus accounts for when you need them. Zeroing out the IB+ accounts and leaving them empty for long stretches is the opposite of what you want to be doing.
Old Jun 1, 16, 4:30 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Let's say I had Avios in Iberia that were going to expire in two months, and I moved them to British where the existing Avios were due to expire in 18 months, would the newly moved avios also expire in 18 months?
Yes, if you move them to BA their expiration will be the same as the BA account. However, after the two months pass, you will have an inactive IB account and cannot transfer back.
In fact, any activity resets the clock, except transfers between IB, BA and avios.com. There used to be a lot of free bonus points from Iberia, like register for Easytaxi and get 400 avios. Haven't seen any recently.
Old Jun 1, 16, 6:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I thought the requirement for an IB account to be active was 1) open for 3 months and 2) have earned at least 1 Avios? Not that it had to have earned at least 1 Avios every 3 months?
Old Jun 1, 16, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Well, to answer your question, you don't need to earn an Avios every three months to keep your account active, it's once every 24 months (unless you're an elite member then it's 36 months).

I am wondering if x-ferring MR's from AMEX to Iberia will serve to extend the life of the Avios?
Old Jun 2, 16, 12:46 pm

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
If you set your iberia.com country setting to Spain, you will get the chance to use the Iberia shopping portal...
I have US addresses on both accounts I administer, and I was able to get the Amazon bonus on both

...you don't need to earn an Avios every three months to keep your account active, it's once every 24 months (unless you're an elite member then it's 36 months).
As far as I can tell, there only needs to be activity every 36 months. I can't find any reference to 24 months.
http://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus/questions/#ancla6
https://www.iberia.com/ibcomv3/conte...s_mar15_en.pdf (paragraph 10)
Old Jun 2, 16, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post

I have US addresses on both accounts I administer, and I was able to get the Amazon bonus on both

As far as I can tell, there only needs to be activity every 36 months. I can't find any reference to 24 months.
http://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus/questions/#ancla6
https://www.iberia.com/ibcomv3/conte...s_mar15_en.pdf (paragraph 10)
OK my bad -- looks like it's 36 months. I was confusing it with another program, Aegean I think.
Old Jun 2, 16, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post

Yes, it has nothing to do with your account address, just setting your browser preference to Spain.
Old Sep 30, 16, 2:08 pm

Is buying Avios in your Iberia account considered activity and will purchases of Avios in the account stop points from expiring?
Old Oct 3, 16, 5:08 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Crusty1 View Post
Is buying Avios in your Iberia account considered activity and will purchases of Avios in the account stop points from expiring?
Yes.

As is transferring points from Amex MR or other credit card schemes, or from hotel stays or loyalty schemes, or car hires, etc.
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:41 am

Has the above been confirmed? Transferring points into Iberia Avios resets the clock?
Old Aug 3, 17, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by drdavidge View Post
Has the above been confirmed? Transferring points into Iberia Avios resets the clock?
Yes, transferring points form Amex, hotels points,... in reality any Avios you obtain will reset the clock.

Mind you, Avios transferred from BAEC or Avios.com do not reset the clock.

Happy flying!

Search this Thread