Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

How to Prevent Iberia Avios from Expiring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Prevent Iberia Avios from Expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Household Account?

Otherwise you should just figure out an activity for your IB+ account. Travel-related activity might be harder than usual, but you've always got the "buy Avios", hotel point conversions, credit card points, etc.

And FWIW, moving your Avios to BA doesn't extend their life either, unless you've had much more recent activity over at BA.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:39 pm

It did happen with me a few years ago with BA Avios. I called them and they gave me 30 days to spend some and restore my 250k points.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I just remembered I have a LOT of Iberia Avios that MIGHT be expiring Jan 5. I earned Avios by flying on Jan 5 2018. I then transferred Amex points to IB Avios on 11/14/2018. Then I did some "Combine My Avios" transfers in 2019/2020. It seems clear that the "combine" transfers will not extend expiration, and less clear but doubtful that the Amex transfer will count. Now it even seems doubtful that purchasing miles will work.

I have a household BA account (where I believe nothing will expire), so maybe I can transfer Avios there until I can make sure that I've legit earned Avios on Iberia, but it sounds like that's gotten more difficult.

What are my options (given that I'm not flying or renting a car or staying in a hotel in the next 2 weeks)?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Well, I just lost 45k Avios. No warning received, other than the one from Awardwallet, but I forgot about it due to other personal matters. A year or so ago I transferred some BA avios to combine with some IB Avios that I've already had in order to use for upgrade on a future IB flight, covid hit, the trip kept getting postpone and I was not able to apply for my upgrade until I could get an idea on when I can take the trip, eventually it had to be cancelled. I cant transfer back to BA. Fast forward to today, I noticed that my IB Avios balance dropped to 0. I sent a tweet to their team, hopefully I get a 2nd chance. Its harder for a non resident to keep his balance active on foreign accounts as opposed to a local.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arollins
Well, I just lost 45k Avios.
<snip>
I sent a tweet to their team, hopefully I get a 2nd chance. Its harder for a non resident to keep his balance active on foreign accounts as opposed to a local.
An AA flight could have earned Avios. But in these time that can be hard or impractical.
Will be 1000's of people now losing ff avios/miles/points from inactivity. More than the usual ffp breakage.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
Its harder for a non resident to keep his balance active on foreign accounts as opposed to a local.
Both foreigners and locals can just buy the minimum Avios...

Good luck with IB+. The pandemic has only taken up 9 months of the 36-month inactivity period, so I don't know whether IB+ are being that sympathetic...
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:54 am

seems like the easiest way would be to transfer some Chase points
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I sent them a message via tweeter and the decision stands, lack of activity, lost of AVIOS.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold; Hyatt - Globalist
Hi all - an recent experiences on expiration policy? If I transfer from Chase or Amex - will it reset the clock? Also, what about donating Avios? TiA.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:24 am

Their General Conditions reads as follows:

A monthly check will be performed of the expiry of the total Avios balance in the account of members who have not made any movement to earn or use Avios in 36 months. Forthese purposes, Avios transfers carried out between the programmes BA Executive Club, the Avios Programme (in the UK), the Iberia Plus Programme and any other programme which may use Avios as currency are not considered movements as they do not involve collection or redemption. Transfers between Iberia Plus members are also not considered movements. Clients, regardless of their own responsibility to follow and control their Avios account, will have information on the date their balance is due to expire will appear on their balance and movements statement when, according to the check date of the last transaction in the Iberia Plus system, there are 6 months or less prior to expiry.

https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus/conditions/
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
I transferred points from Amex(US) to Iberia Avios in September (with the bonus) and then contacted Iberia to check when any Avios would next expire. They stated September 2024, so I’m presuming this transfer counted as activity to reset my expiration.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott, AA, United, BA,
Anyone know where the expiry date is visible? I can't find such a thing in my account and aI want to determine if a transfer reset the expiry date.

Cheers
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Pittspilot
Anyone know where the expiry date is visible? I can't find such a thing in my account and aI want to determine if a transfer reset the expiry date.

Cheers
I have never seen the expiration date on either IB or BA, though BA sent us emails when we had about 8 months left til some of ours expired. IB says they will give at least 2 months notice, as stated below from their FAQ.

From IB's site:

Do my Avios expire?

Always use your Iberia Plus card on your flights or those of any of the Programme's partners. That way your Avios won't expire.
Regulation stipulates that you earn or spend Avios at least once every 36 months to make sure the entire Avios balance doesn't expire. Issuing or receiving Avios transferred to you is not considered to be an activity.
The expiry system will inform the customer of the number of Avios set to expire with at least 2 months’ notice. The information will appear on your account status, which may be consulted at Iberia.com.

Last edited by fredc84; Nov 8, 2021 at 6:48 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:05 pm

Thanks, I see that. I noticed that some commenters are saying they looked at their IB account to determine that the expiration date had been extended and wondered where/how.

Cheers
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:07 pm

Did you contact Iberia in the US? I'm trying to do what you did and determine of my expiration dates have changed after a transfer.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.