Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

How to Prevent Iberia Avios from Expiring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Prevent Iberia Avios from Expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:21 am

Is this right on a separate aspect of the issue? There's an Award Wallet piece https://awardwallet.com/blog/how-to-...eria-accounts/ saying "Even if your Iberia account is over 90 days old, your account needs qualifying activity every six months to remain active. After six months of no earning or redeeming action, your account is marked dormant, and you cannot buy/gift/transfer points until you earn Avios in that account." So 36 months before the Avios expire, but these limits on use after 6 months?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by rove312
Is this right on a separate aspect of the issue? There's an Award Wallet piece https://awardwallet.com/blog/how-to-...eria-accounts/ saying "Even if your Iberia account is over 90 days old, your account needs qualifying activity every six months to remain active. After six months of no earning or redeeming action, your account is marked dormant, and you cannot buy/gift/transfer points until you earn Avios in that account." So 36 months before the Avios expire, but these limits on use after 6 months?
I don't know where the 6 months thing comes from...I can't find it anywhere on IB's site. The only thing I can find is expiration in 36 months. I transferred 1,000 Amex points into my account to have the activity so I could then transfer between IB and BA. That transfer was Mar 2018 and my points are still active. Unless I'm just lucky....
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Avios expiration date

How do I check to find the date when my Iberia points would expire, I can't seem to find it on their website.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Brian2d
How do I check to find the date when my Iberia points would expire, I can't seem to find it on their website.
2nd this. Anyone know how to find Iberia points expiration date? As far as I can see it's not anywhere on their desktop website for Iberia Plus.

If it's really not listed anywhere, can anyone with at least 3 years of activity with Iberia confirm that their account page shows activity going back at least three years?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
3 years from the last earning activity.

EDIT: you can send them an e-mail asking for the actual expiration. Also, you should receive a warning e-mail 6 and 3 month before expiration.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:58 am

you can combine avios to airlingus and then go back to Iberia it should reset 3 years clock
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:01 am

Transfer avios via combine my avios does not extend Avios expiration.

This can be a little bit misleading. In reality what happens is that the transferred Avios will acquire the expiration date of the destination account. If you transfer Avios from IB to Avios (Aer Lingus/Vueling Club) the Avios will acquire the expiration of the Avios account. But if you send them back, they will again, acquire the expiration date from the IB account. So indeed, you did not achieve anything.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tobsw
Transfer avios via combine my avios does not extend Avios expiration.
Yet far too many Flyertalkers jump in with advice saying that it does...

People don't even realise that if you move Avios into an account that is already 3+ years since the last activity, those Avios will immediately expire!

Sort of like the 90k promo, maybe people think that if enough people interpret the rules a certain way, they will actually work that way.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yet far too many Flyertalkers jump in with advice saying that it does...

People don't even realise that if you move Avios into an account that is already 3+ years since the last activity, those Avios will immediately expire!
Isn't it true that they won't let you move Avios into that account because they will have classified it as "dormant"?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by huge
Isn't it true that they won't let you move Avios into that account because they will have classified it as "dormant"?
No. A friend of mine lost some Avios this way. IB+ will happily take your Avios and immediately expire them...
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
I don't know where the 6 months thing comes from...I can't find it anywhere on IB's site. The only thing I can find is expiration in 36 months. I transferred 1,000 Amex points into my account to have the activity so I could then transfer between IB and BA. That transfer was Mar 2018 and my points are still active. Unless I'm just lucky....
i cant believe something like this hasnt been cleared up yet. what a headache. info all over the web isnt clear either. since im interested in transferring BA to IB which currently has 0 from many years ago, im so happy to have randomly stumbled upon this thread. i dodged a bomb.

so we still dont know if bank point transfers like UR reactivate IB accounts? and that blog post saying something about requiring activity every 6 months? argh. what about buying points? ive read you cant buy points if youre at 0? dude. why is this so complicated? i will just wait 2 years to get below 5/24 for the chase card. that should just end this.

found this blog post to be helpful:
https://www.turningleftforless.com/h...ou-cant-travel

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jun 25, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:05 am

Problem is, even IbPlus and BAEC have different Avios "activity" rules for Avios expiration.

-Buying Avios in IBPlus does NOT extend Avios validity in IbPlus. Buying Avios in BAEC, DOES count for extending Avios validity.

-Banc transfers. I would say no, but I can't guarantee.

Reality is, I've never been in a situation where my Avios expire.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by tobsw
Problem is, even IbPlus and BAEC have different Avios "activity" rules for Avios expiration.

-Buying Avios in IBPlus does NOT extend Avios validity in IbPlus. Buying Avios in BAEC, DOES count for extending Avios validity.

-Banc transfers. I would say no, but I can't guarantee.

Reality is, I've never been in a situation where my Avios expire.
yea. basically i need to get the chase iberia card to end this stupid confusion. after reading so many blog posts and comments about this topic, the end result is YMMV which is totally unacceptable when it comes to expiring valuable miles. why is this such a complex topic? so now, its either fly or earn through partners thats the only guarantee other than a CC. after all these years, i thought we would have solid answers for something so simple.

just to confirm, how do you know buying iberia avios do NOT count as activity? post above contradicts. hence this confusion.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27298594-post13.html

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jun 27, 2020 at 5:41 pm
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Best way against expiring Iberia miles

What is the best way to prevent my 53000 Iberia miles from expiring?
I tried to combine using the BA link, I am getting an error message since the last 4 months.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kay_jay
What is the best way to prevent my 53000 Iberia miles from expiring?
I tried to combine using the BA link, I am getting an error message since the last 4 months.
Do you have BA avios?
Are the details in both account 100% the same?
Last time any BA/IB avios were earned?
Several threads in the BA sub forum on combing avios. Do an advanced search "combine"
BA
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...help-desk.html
PSA : Avios.com tightens enforcement on matching account details for Combine My Avios
combine my avios broken?
IB
Iberia account not allowing combine avios

IB thread----? How to Prevent Iberia Avios from Expiring?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.