FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Iberia Express Y Legroom (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1752219-iberia-express-y-legroom.html)

lkar Mar 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Iberia Express Y Legroom

I just flew LGW-MAD in IB express in Y. Well I guess it's one thing to read about it, but another to experience it. I've made do in low cost carrier seats, and while it's never pleasant, you just sort of get through it, and that's that. This, though, was different. It was as cramped and uncomfortable as I've flown. I'm not exactly small at 6' 3", but I usually make do in just about any configuration. I had not a millimeter to spare. In fact, if I hadn't been flying with a companion who graciously allowed me to invade his space from time to time to get the circulation back in my leg, I'm not sure what I would have done.

I'm being partly dramatic, but the difference between 28" and 30" is more significant than a mere two inches might suggest. If you're under 6' you should be able to make due just fine, but I would think there are some people who are not excessively large who simply would be unable to fit in these seats.

Otherwise, though, the service was good. Everything was on time, and the crew was lovely. The price was great. Deplaning at MAD was a bit cumbersome. I think they used a gate that was inside the schengen area in T4, so they had to actually bus us from our gate to one of the London gates on the other side of the passport/police control at the end of T4, so there was quite a bit of up and downing on stairs with bags. A bit more expensive to get to Gatwick than Heathrow, but much more manageable. I guess I would do this again, all things considered, but at more than 2:30 in that seat and I don't know if I would have made it.

citricut Mar 12, 2016 3:42 am

I just can agree with you. I've just flown MAD-IBZ with them but it was a terrible experience when it comes to comfort. As you mentioned, the crew was really nice and the flight on time.
I guess their business model works like it is, no need for more space as long as they keep on selling tickets.

LupineChemist Mar 12, 2016 3:58 am

I supposedly have an IB express flight with the slimline seats. They didn't adjust the pitch, just put narrower seats so it should add to the effective legroom. I'm 185 cm and definitely note the 28" pitch.

Oaxaca Mar 12, 2016 7:04 am

Although I'm not particularly tall, it is a bit cramped in I2 economy. I've taken to making sure I have exit row seats if I'm not in business class. Of course, the OP's comment that he would do it again despite the discomfort, indicates that the airline's strategy is working. I fly on I2 several times a year and the flights are mostly heavily loaded.

I've only flown in business class on the aircraft with the new seats, but they do appear to be more spacious.

DELLAS Mar 12, 2016 12:27 pm

The new seats as I posted in the other thread are indeed much nicer than the old product. Eventually as they all get refurbed the whole product will be quite decent as they are usually on time have nice crews and the J meals are really nice too. The in seat power is a great bonus ^

martinfjord Mar 22, 2017 3:13 am

Im not sure what upgrade or "new seats" are you guys refering to, all my flights with IBERIA took place just now (early-mid March, 2017) most of them on brand-new looking airplanes and the experience was shockingly bad.

Ive flew 8 times with them in the last 2 weeks (back and forth to Geneve-Madrid-Jerez and back and forth to Malpensa-Barcelona-Palma) and my honest, perfectly unbiased opinion is that this airline is hands-down the worst in Europe, easily worst than Ryanair, any day of the week. In terms of saving on legroom they have went to a length (no pun intended) that even the most notorious budget airlines did not dare to go before.

I did notice exactly what the thread-starter refers to, flights like Ryanair/Wizzair give you a legroom that is super tight but still just about lets you seat free of contact with the seat in the front of you. It seems that this Airline has managed to cheat off the last few centimeters with how their seats are mounted making it an EXTREMELY unconfortable ride for anyone I would say 185cm and over. Im 189cm (6ft2) and it was a straight up torture trying the balance most of my bodyweight on my knee caps. There was just no way out of it, if you want to find a position where your legs are not in contact with the back of the seat, you WILL invade someone else's space. In addition they have no seat-pockets, nor cup-holders so you can carry your must haves in your lap.

(...and correct me if Im wrong, as I might very well be, but arnt they supposed to be the National Airline of Spain?, if thats so, they are also the only National Airline I know who wont even give you a cup of water during your flight, ...OK I get it, thats perfectly normal with the budget airlines and I did pay a price that was in the "budget" range for sure, but if they are the only airline carrying the spanish flag across the globe, maybe there are certain standards they should force on themselves, instead of sinking to lows that even budget airlines didnt sink before...)

The crew by the way was super friendly and looked very well trained. No complaint there, but I need my knee caps for a few more decadaes, and will refuse to travel like a farm animal thank you very much.

Concerto Mar 22, 2017 4:10 am

I thought the crew was awful on the only Iberia Express flights that I have done in Y. This was MAD-PMI and vv. In addition to other things, they allowed someone in an inebriated and drugged state to board the flight and that should never have happened. However, his tactic of not taking a shower for over a month was quite good for getting lots of free seats beside him. Dreadful airline. I really hate this low cost mode the airlines have developed.

I did Business once, on MAD-TFN and vv, but it was nothing special. A bit like Economy from about 15-20 years ago.

Tricialac Mar 22, 2017 3:28 pm

I am flying on ib3177 operated by BA from heathrow to mad and mad to eas on ib8324 operated by air nostrum. What can I expect? can anyone tell me the exact hand carry allowances? When I search the iberia website it shows me their dimensions but says iberia operated by air nostrum could be different but it does not say from what I can tell on the air nostrum site what the dimensions are.

BA6501 Mar 22, 2017 4:17 pm

IB3177 is operated by Iberia. The main flight number is indeed BA518, but it is operated by Iberia.

For the ATR to EAS, anything larger than a duffle bag will have to be "checked in" - literally given to a baggage handler as you board the aircraft steps, and retrieved the second you step off the aircraft.

Concerto Mar 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Remember, if you want to check a bag book it in advance, otherwise they'll ding you at the airport. That's what really got me on my MAD-PMI flight with I2 and how utterly, laughably rude they were at MAD. The bag fee really was not clear during the purchase process, unlike on normal, decent LCCs. No doubt has changed since then (2015).

Tricialac Mar 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Does anyone have detailed dimensions for hand carry? I called iberia and they said to just follow their requirements but not sure if i can rely on that answer after reading some other travellers experience. And am i still allowed a personal item such as a purse?

Capturescratch Nov 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Easily the worst airline in Europe, definitely the worst flag carrier. Flew DUB-MAD, after an Iberia computer error the staff member at the desk couldn’t find one of our tickets. After 1 hour of blaming me, she miraculously found the tickets - and then promptly stated we’d be blacklisted from the airline because of our attitude! Had to run to make the flight, only to be met with seats that really shouldn’t be allowed (at any tickets cost). I’m tall at 6ft 3 but this is a joke. Painful 2.5hr flight in the Recaro seats. Few days later there was an extra 52 Euro charge on our debit card. Have contacted customer care multiple times but they refuse to acknowledge it saying that credit cards get a credit card fee added - it was a debit and 52 Euro is a hefty processing fee. Flown with full fat Iberia since and they use they same planes as IB Express, same painful legroom at bigger prices. Awful airline.

BA6501 Nov 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Yes legroom on I2 is awful, but no mainline Iberia do not use the same aircraft and do not have the same configuration, with fewer seats per aircraft (at least one row).

DELLAS Nov 14, 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Capturescratch (Post 29045619)
Easily the worst airline in Europe, definitely the worst flag carrier. Flew DUB-MAD, after an Iberia computer error the staff member at the desk couldn’t find one of our tickets. After 1 hour of blaming me, she miraculously found the tickets - and then promptly stated we’d be blacklisted from the airline because of our attitude! Had to run to make the flight, only to be met with seats that really shouldn’t be allowed (at any tickets cost). I’m tall at 6ft 3 but this is a joke. Painful 2.5hr flight in the Recaro seats. Few days later there was an extra 52 Euro charge on our debit card. Have contacted customer care multiple times but they refuse to acknowledge it saying that credit cards get a credit card fee added - it was a debit and 52 Euro is a hefty processing fee. Flown with full fat Iberia since and they use they same planes as IB Express, same painful legroom at bigger prices. Awful airline.

You don’t get the threat of being blacklisted at DUB without reason. Especially by the handlers that IB use there. My guess is that you were very aggressive towards them. Otherwise something doesn’t add up!

dcas Nov 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Capturescratch (Post 29045619)

Epic first post bro!