Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble signing up for Iberia Plus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Trouble signing up for Iberia Plus

I bought a ticket on Iberia for someone to visit me, using AAdvantage points. Her flight was supposed to be tomorrow, but she can't get her visa until next week so I need to reschedule the flight. I looked and there is one miles seat available for next week. I called American but they said they are having trouble liaising with Iberia, and can't book any seats there until it is fixed. I've been calling back every few hours for the past couple of days, but it's still not fixed, and they said last time this happened it took 2 weeks to fix it. I looked on Iberia's website, and it's only 40k Avios to buy the flight there. They also list it as only one seat left there. I have lots of points from my Chase credit card that I can transfer there, so I tried to sign up for Iberia Plus so that I can get the flight with points. Every time I fill out the Iberia Plus registration form on the Iberia website, I get the same error message: "oops...a connection error has occurred." I tried multiple different browsers - same problem. I called their customer service, and they said they can't do anything on the phone and that I have to send them an email, but every email I write to the address they gave me just comes back with an autoresponse saying I need to put my Iberia Plus number in the subject in order for them to address it. I wrote to them on Twitter and Facebook, and got no response. Has anyone else had this problem, and any suggestions for ways to get around it? Also, is this a typical experience with Iberia? Not really confidence inspiring so far.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

FYI, if anyone has this problem in the future, I finally was able to do it by adding a fake second last name.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:40 pm

Was trying to sign up for a new account to buy some avios and was getting the same error

Oops…A connection error has occurred.

Added another last name and it created the account first time, many thanks!

Edit;

However, it won't let me remove my second surname in my profile

Sorry, a connection error has occurred and you can't update your details at this time

Last edited by Tomallen123; Mar 2, 2019 at 12:41 pm Reason: More info
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by remily
FYI, if anyone has this problem in the future, I finally was able to do it by adding a fake second last name.
A fake second last name is going to cause you no shortage of problems...

Besides that, you are going to immediately run into anti-fraud measures. Set up brand new account, transfer in credit card points, book a reward for a third party for a flight within days. Pretty much exactly what a fraudster would do with hacked account details...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:14 pm

I'm having the connection problem too when trying to sign up. I want to link it to a BA account for Avios so require the names to match. Hopefully they will fix the bug and I'll then try again.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:17 am

Fully agree with craigthemif’s comment – you set yourself up for all sorts of problems with this approach and should rather start over with a new account

Perhaps this could help: A typical work-around for people outside Spain is either to repeat your family name as second surname again or to enter “notengo” (Spanish for “I do not have”) in that field. The latter will not really help when your name is automatically verified (e.g. against your cc) but at least that is a fairly well known work-around for non-Spaniards forced to provide a non-existing second surname and usually will be recognized as such and not cause problems when dealing with an agent in person (e.g. at a Spanish airport)
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:54 am

After you've got the account set up you can email them to remove the extra name
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by noturbulence
Fully agree with craigthemif’s comment – you set yourself up for all sorts of problems with this approach and should rather start over with a new account

Perhaps this could help: A typical work-around for people outside Spain is either to repeat your family name as second surname again or to enter “notengo” (Spanish for “I do not have”) in that field. The latter will not really help when your name is automatically verified (e.g. against your cc) but at least that is a fairly well known work-around for non-Spaniards forced to provide a non-existing second surname and usually will be recognized as such and not cause problems when dealing with an agent in person (e.g. at a Spanish airport)
Yep. Back in the 90s BBV had my second surname as "No Tiene".
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
Well as of today the "oops...a connection error has occurred" error still occurs when I tried to sign up. I called and got the runaround to three different phone numbers who could supposedly help me but did not, then gave up.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 60614
Well as of today the "oops...a connection error has occurred" error still occurs when I tried to sign up. I called and got the runaround to three different phone numbers who could supposedly help me but did not, then gave up.
I have the same problem too. No connection message (and I've tried on multiple browsers) - has anyone found a work-around?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:46 pm

I got the same problem, so what I did is to enter the 'second' surname as 'NOTENGO' which works, then email their support team to remove it and see if it works. Reason for doing this is I need at least an Iberia member number before I can email their support team.

Even I managed to successfully remove the second surname, I am still sceptical their system works because I can login, but if I click on anything with the word 'PROFILE', it will kick me out. Their system looks very fragile.

I have a feeling Iberia support is non-existent. Tried their email, facebook, twitter and you might get somebody understand what you said, but most of the time they dont seems to understand English at all. Never come across any airline support that is so frustrated !!
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Works for me without needing a second surname by using the Mobile App instead of the desktop version of the site.
gizzard and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Rumples
Works for me without needing a second surname by using the Mobile App instead of the desktop version of the site.
Thanks for that. I managed to create another one without 'second surname', just that when I try to logon the desktop version, it just log me out whenever I click on 'profile' try to check information I entered. Looks like the web version is not very reliable, hopefully all other stuff works well especially when Iberia customer support does not exist at all !!
Rumples likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Rumples
And for me too. Much appreciated.
Rumples likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: One World
Hi. I am having the same problems. In addition, it won't let me get past the flat number/ letter. We live in a regular house not in an apartment building. any thoughts on getting around this issue. trying to get an account to take advantage of the groupon avios deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.