Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Interesting: Groupon is selling Avios in Spain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting: Groupon is selling Avios in Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by rrgg
Have you tried starting over to redeem your Groupon certificate for Avios? Maybe it didn't go through the first time. What is "a specific site which I cannot access?"
I did redeem them immediately, and I took screenshots of the data I put in, so I can see that the data provided is correct (and prove that I did redeem them). One of the vouchers also shows as redeemed on the 5th of April on Groupon, but no Avios has been added to my account. The other voucher is showing as expired. I could try to redeem them once again, but I am more interested in a refund, as I have already purchased the required Avios (at a higher cost).

Iberia sent me a link to the Iberia PluStore, which is apparently not accessible outside of Spain (although I believe it might be possible by changing the location to Spain).
Old May 2, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
I did redeem them immediately, and I took screenshots of the data I put in, so I can see that the data provided is correct (and prove that I did redeem them). One of the vouchers also shows as redeemed on the 5th of April on Groupon, but no Avios has been added to my account. The other voucher is showing as expired. I could try to redeem them once again, but I am more interested in a refund, as I have already purchased the required Avios (at a higher cost).

Iberia sent me a link to the Iberia PluStore, which is apparently not accessible outside of Spain (although I believe it might be possible by changing the location to Spain).
I asked because I once redeemed a voucher but had to repeat it. Something went wrong with the website. I can access Iberiaplustore from the US with https://ibplustore.iberia.com/en/
Old May 17, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
Prices have increased

Groupon selling avios again but the prices have gone up this time. https://www.groupon.es/deals/avios-24
Old May 17, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by palcsaky
Groupon selling avios again but the prices have gone up this time. https://www.groupon.es/deals/avios-24
Beware though. Still haven't received any Avios or my money back on my purchase from the 29th of March. They have completely ignored me until yesterday, where I got one e-mail from them saying that they are having issues with it. No ...., it's been almost two months.

I wouldn't buy through Groupon. BA currently has a sale, that seems like a much safer option.

Also, they have removed all the bad reviews that they received recently. A lot of people gave 1 or 2 stars, but Groupon have just deleted all those reviews (including mine). Quite dodgy behaviour.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:18 am

Thanks for posting this. At least the IB Plus store is offering 13 points per Euro this time.

Last edited by rrgg; May 17, 2019 at 11:01 am
Old May 17, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Better luck here

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Beware though. Still haven't received any Avios or my money back on my purchase from the 29th of March. They have completely ignored me until yesterday, where I got one e-mail from them saying that they are having issues with it. No ...., it's been almost two months.

I wouldn't buy through Groupon. BA currently has a sale, that seems like a much safer option.

Also, they have removed all the bad reviews that they received recently. A lot of people gave 1 or 2 stars, but Groupon have just deleted all those reviews (including mine). Quite dodgy behaviour.
I may do this again based on my experience in March.

Purchased 10 of the 8,000 Avios Groupons for about $1,121 on March 8th. All 10 credited on March 30th, plus an additional 12,870 for going through Iberia Plus store, so just over 1.2 cents per Avios. Already used 68,000 of the 93,000 for RT ORD-MAD business class this September. That means I'm paying $821 for a round trip business class ticket! Is it Qatar or Singapore? No, arguably not even Polaris/Flagship level, though I'd say the superior soft product makes up for a lesser hard product. In any event, I'll pay $821 for RT business class to Europe any time.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just did the math. Best deal is going through IberiaPlus store, getting the 13 Avios per Euro and buying the 35,000 Avios package for 429 Euro/$479 US.

You'll end up with 40,577 Avios for 1.18 cents each. Pretty great price actually...
Old May 17, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You really think so? You need to be sure you're getting good value when you redeem, not forgetting all the taxes, although those are less with Iberia. I'm a bit reluctant to throw any more money at this as the programs devalue at a shocking rate these days (witness the recent changes at BA and LH).

I see that you are now paying €19 for only 1,000 Avios, unlike the 2,000 previously. There's definitely no way I am jumping in at these prices.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
RIP Groupon.

2,000 Avios for 19 euros (less cashback) made the aggravation worthwhile. Without those cheap Avios, it makes far more sense to buy direct from BA or IB...
Old May 18, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
RIP Groupon.

2,000 Avios for 19 euros (less cashback) made the aggravation worthwhile. Without those cheap Avios, it makes far more sense to buy direct from BA or IB...
Does anyone know what has been the cheapest rate for buying direct? There was a recent promotion to get them at 0.0135 USD. I didn't purchase any, but I know it billed as a travel purchase category too. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Does anyone know what has been the cheapest rate for buying direct? There was a recent promotion to get them at 0.0135 USD. I didn't purchase any, but I know it billed as a travel purchase category too. Thanks.
That's a good point - with the (US) Amex TPC that'd give 5x bonus points per USD. Although the 13/EUR IberiaPluStore bonus - if credited - might be a better deal...
Old May 18, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
You really think so? You need to be sure you're getting good value when you redeem, not forgetting all the taxes, although those are less with Iberia. I'm a bit reluctant to throw any more money at this as the programs devalue at a shocking rate these days (witness the recent changes at BA and LH).

I see that you are now paying €19 for only 1,000 Avios, unlike the 2,000 previously. There's definitely no way I am jumping in at these prices.
I wouldn't buy them to bank them - but I've already got a use, RT ORD-MAD in business for 68,000 Avios. You are correct, there are of course fees/taxes, but at least for my route RT fees/taxes are under $205. So, all in I'm getting a RT in business class for $1,026. I'll take that any time.

As for the 1000 Avios deal, agree that it's not a good value. But the 35,000 Avios deal is and you'll need that many anyway.

Last edited by Happy Traveling Consultant; May 18, 2019 at 11:02 am Reason: Put in actual price
Old May 18, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by craigthemif
RIP Groupon.
Well, considering upcoming devaluation, it's questionable whether it makes sense to buy any Avios at all.
And the new price on Groupon is ridiculous indeed.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by HappyTravelingConsultant
I wouldn't buy them to bank them - but I've already got a use, RT ORD-MAD in business for 68,000 Avios. You are correct, there are of course fees/taxes, but at least for my route RT fees/taxes are under $205. So, all in I'm getting a RT in business class for $1,026. I'll take that any time.

As for the 1000 Avios deal, agree that it's not a good value. But the 35,000 Avios deal is and you'll need that many anyway.
It depends on whether the IberiaPlus store actually tracks and experience has been a bit spotty with this. Otherwise, 35,000 Avios for €429 is definitely not a “good deal” in my book. But if you have an immediate redemption planned then that is good and changes the sense of value considerably.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Well, considering upcoming devaluation, it's questionable whether it makes sense to buy any Avios at all.
And the new price on Groupon is ridiculous indeed.
A lot people buying Avios have convinced themselves that the UK's 2-for-1 Amex voucher is the best thing since sliced bread, but then have to buy Avios to have enough "to use the 2-for-1 properly". Despite this being FT, I try not to judge...

Still lots of value in IB J rewards, with reasonable availability to everywhere except the US. So I would happily buy when necessary, but certainly no longer the 2,000 Avios each time this offer comes around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.