Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Weird problem with online checkin [Country of origin error - workaround below]

Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL

Trying to check in online for flight back to US from Madrid. I get an error response telling me to review the country of origin for my documents. It's all correct but can't get past this issue. I had no problem doing online checkin for flight to Spain. It's annoying because I was hoping to change my seats. Any ideas why this is happening?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
SSSS I bet
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Fortunately not SSSS.
I just checked in at the airport and all is good. I was even automatically moved to the seats I was going to ask for. Some times you just get lucky!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:01 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
This just happened to me as well, MAD-LHR-USA on US passport. The website and mobile app are totally unhelpful for explaining what the issue is. Now I have to go to the airport earlier to take care of this stupidity.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I know one weird trick to solve this problem that the airlines HATE!
lensovet likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:09 am
TA

Well, do you care to share it, or just quietly broadcast that you know how to fix the problem but just won't tell others? What's the point of your post?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by TA
Well, do you care to share it, or just quietly broadcast that you know how to fix the problem but just won't tell others? What's the point of your post?
Welcome to the internet, you must be new here.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Welcome to the internet, you must be new here.
Oh, I think everyone here is familiar with the passive-aggressive, anonymous internet troll.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:05 pm

You guys have seriously never seen the clickbait ads all over the internet like "This mom learned one weird trick to good health that doctors HATE!"

It's always something ridiculous with "weird trick" or "weird routine" or "weird food." It's the first thing I thought of with the thread title.
lensovet likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:09 am
TA

Well, to actually provide some useful information:

On checking in at the airport, it turned out to be an issue where there was a Visa # populated in the PNR. The number was not something immediately recognizable, and the agent found it odd too (and there was no expiration date, etc, triggering the block). Maybe something populated by the travel agency.

It was removed, and all clear. However, it is a problem because it only seems to be able to be done at the airport (or maybe phone, but I did not try that).
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:46 am

I'm doing a connection tomorrow out of Madrid and I'm getting the above error. It's in no way clear what the problem is.

I'm flying to Madrid on a BA avios ticket, then getting on a separately AA booked, IB operated flight over to Boston.

The problem being that I don't plan to go landside to fix it.

The phone people were spectacularly unhelpful. They advised me it all looked fine and I prompted them to check several things but nothing came up.

Can I (possibly) deal with this airside at a desk in T4S? Can I get a boarding pass issued there? I've got enough time to get landside and back if I have to (2.5 hours) - I'd just prefer not to if I can.

Unfortunately I don't know MAD or T4/T4S well enough to know what I'm doing or where I'm going to get this done.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
I'm doing a connection tomorrow out of Madrid and I'm getting the above error. It's in no way clear what the problem is.

I'm flying to Madrid on a BA avios ticket, then getting on a separately AA booked, IB operated flight over to Boston.

The problem being that I don't plan to go landside to fix it.

The phone people were spectacularly unhelpful. They advised me it all looked fine and I prompted them to check several things but nothing came up.

Can I (possibly) deal with this airside at a desk in T4S? Can I get a boarding pass issued there? I've got enough time to get landside and back if I have to (2.5 hours) - I'd just prefer not to if I can.

Unfortunately I don't know MAD or T4/T4S well enough to know what I'm doing or where I'm going to get this done.
And just to follow up on this - I was told on the phone:

Them: "I want to talk to a supervisor - please call back in 30 minutes" ... me: "ok who should I ask for?" them: "oh - I won't be here - just talk to anyone."

Call back ...

Them: "The reason is that no one can check in online for the USA." Me: "Really?" Them: "Yes."

Finally - fired up the android app - checked in no problem first time. Wish I'd done that in the first place.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:11 pm

And a further follow up - there WAS API data that required fixing at the gate.

Indeed - it was the country of issue for the passport. It was fixed with a bunch of keystrokes and off I went.

Still no idea why the android app let me check in - but glad it did as it gave me some time in the lounge in MAD.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
To resurrect this thread, I experienced the same thing flying MAD-JFK. I was unable to do online check-in, and when I had my boarding pass printed at the airport, it had SSSS on it. The TA made no mention of there being quirks in the visa number. In the end, SSSS took away my online check-in ability and I had to get additional screening (about 5 minute's worth) before my flight, but after I landed stateside, I had no additional hassles (Global Entry worked fine).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Happened to me yesterday, as well. Couldn't check in via either app or website due to "Country of Issue" error, very frustrating. I was on a revenue ticket; my husband on an Avios award checked in via app no problem. Agent at counter issued boarding pass quickly but had no idea why I couldn't check in online. No SSSS, no trouble with security in MAD or GE in MIA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.