FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Connection time in Madrid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1605403-connection-time-madrid.html)

flightmedic Aug 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Connection time in Madrid

We were able to get 5 business award seats for next June from PHL to MAD on US Airways. The flight arrives at 8:45 am. Will we have time to make a 10:00 am flight on IB to DUB? Would our bags be checked through? Do we have to clear customs and immigration in MAD?

Thanks

LupineChemist Aug 24, 2014 1:49 am

Assuming everything's on time, I'd say you're fine. The IB minimum connection time for T4S to T4 is 55 minutes. Even though it's a non-Shengen to non-Shengen connection, you will actually have to go through immigration. Then you go to T4 for the Schengen section and go all the way down to the right after clearing security and then have to clear immigration again in a mini post that only serves flights to UK and Ireland.

KIXJNB Aug 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Don't worry about bags. They will be checked through.

DELLAS Aug 25, 2014 3:28 am

I have transited MAD from DUB recently. A few on board had connections of 1 hour and made them no issues. All bags checked through to final destination so unless there was a major delay everything should be fine.

Zach1213 Aug 29, 2014 7:23 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 23414111)
Assuming everything's on time, I'd say you're fine. The IB minimum connection time for T4S to T4 is 55 minutes. Even though it's a non-Shengen to non-Shengen connection, you will actually have to go through immigration. Then you go to T4 for the Schengen section and go all the way down to the right after clearing security and then have to clear immigration again in a mini post that only serves flights to UK and Ireland.

Is it truly immigration, or a passport check to make sure you have the proper documentation for your next flight (which is common)? I have not transited in Madrid but will on Sunday going non-Schengen to non-Schengen (DFW-MAD-RAK), so this intrigues me.

LupineChemist Aug 29, 2014 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Zach1213 (Post 23443239)
Is it truly immigration, or a passport check to make sure you have the proper documentation for your next flight (which is common)? I have not transited in Madrid but will on Sunday going non-Schengen to non-Schengen (DFW-MAD-RAK), so this intrigues me.

You will not get a passport check. The case I responded to was a special case for IB metal to LHR and DUB which has a separate area that you can't get to without entering Schengen.

Zach1213 Aug 29, 2014 8:13 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 23443266)
You will not get a passport check. The case I responded to was a special case for IB metal to LHR and DUB which has a separate area that you can't get to without entering Schengen.

Great, thank you for clarification.

julianin Aug 29, 2014 9:43 am

I don't know if this is the case for DUB flights, but at least the LHR flights that depart from the T4 mini non-schengen area also get a gate on T4S from where you're bused to the plane directly so you save yourself the hassle of going through inmigration and taking the APM from T4S to T4.

ned Aug 31, 2014 5:50 pm

LHR-MAD-SCQ

Can we make it without to much stress? LHR - MAD - SCQ. LHR-MAD on BA0462 arriving Terminal 4S at 6:35pm. MAD-SCQ on IB3880 departing Terminal 4 at 8:00pm. ls 1 hour 25 minutes adequate for both passengers and baggage? We will be traveling on two separate award tickets, LHR-MAD and MAD-SCQ so I do not think there is any protection if we miss. It is also the last flight of the day to SCQ. We are flying to LHR from LAX so I assume all immigration and customs is addressed at LHR. Thanks

julianin Sep 1, 2014 12:38 am

Even tho that ex-LHR flights usually have poor on-time performance it should be enough even if your inbound flight is 20-30mins late.

UK isn't part of the schengen area so you will go through inmigration at Madrid, don't expect long queues as that time of the day is not busy at T4S.

XmaX Sep 2, 2014 4:55 am

I'm flying DUS-MAD-SCL in November. Originally, the flight from DUS was supposed to arrive MAD at 10:40, and flight to SCL depart at 12:30, which definitely seemed like a nice connection.

However, since booking, Iberia changed the flight times of both the flights, so that now I have exactly 1 hour to make the connection.

I am a fast walker, but is it realistically doable? I suppose using a lounge is out of a question?

LupineChemist Sep 2, 2014 7:03 am

It's definitely doable and you may even get enough time for a drink in the lounge if you're quick. It's an extra few minutes if you happen to land at the very end of the T4 and have to make it to T4S, but you'll probably be somewhere more toward the middle just by sheer probability and you just take the tram over, clear passport control quickly and you're good to go. That said it's 5 minutes under their MCT so you can try and reschedule if you want, but I don't know how much will be available realistically.

abfab80 Sep 23, 2014 5:47 am

On a separate note, does anyone know the connecting time between an arrival at T4 from LHR with Iberia and departing to Las Palmas from T4 again with Iberia ? thanks

mike2200 Sep 23, 2014 8:01 am

Deleted

N0LID Oct 2, 2014 9:55 am

We're in the same situation

We booked 4 X seats for next summer ORD-MAD-ORY and our connection time has dropped to 70 minutes from 85 with a connection from T4 to T4s.

Is this doable for a family of 4 with 2 teenage girls?