BA8198 [operated by Vueling] delayed

Old Jul 25, 14, 10:27 am
Original Poster

BA8198 [operated by Vueling] delayed

BA 8198 operated by Vueling was scheduled to take off more than 2h ago yet we are still waiting in the boarding area, where no Vueling or Iberia representative is present to offer us refreshments according to the european directive 261/2004. The official anouncement said that the delay was caused by unfavorable weather conditions. All the other flights are taking off according to schedule. What should we do ?
Old Jul 25, 14, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Wait patiently until the plane comes.

Or speak to someone and remind them of the EU legislation and see what they say.
Old Jul 25, 14, 11:53 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Veuling? Have become fairly unreliable of late.....
Lots of negative comment.
No rieplies to e.mails to customer services, no telephone number either, no visible staff.....
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

The plane took off at 18:00, with a 2h 45min delay. There was no Vueling staff around the boarding area. The European directive 261/2004 was breached, we were not offered any refreshments after 2h. Should I complain to the company who issued the ticket (BA) or to the one who operated the flight (VY) ?
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
You complain to the operator.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Octavian Antony View Post
The plane took off at 18:00, with a 2h 45min delay. There was no Vueling staff around the boarding area. The European directive 261/2004 was breached, we were not offered any refreshments after 2h. Should I complain to the company who issued the ticket (BA) or to the one who operated the flight (VY) ?
There is an exemption in the regulations that states that an airline may decline to provide 'care' if the provision of that care would make the flight delay even longer.

see point 18 on page 2
Old Jul 25, 14, 7:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread has been moved from the BAEC forum to here as the flight is operated by Vueling and therefore this is a more relevant forum.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jul 26, 14, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Precisely why I think there shouldn't be BA flight codes attached to VY flights. The different in service levels is substantial.

I guess IAG think they can get a bit more incremental revenue by selling VY flights to BA customers, but at what cost to the BA brand??
Old Jul 26, 14, 6:57 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Precisely why I think there shouldn't be BA flight codes attached to VY flights. The different in service levels is substantial.

I guess IAG think they can get a bit more incremental revenue by selling VY flights to BA customers, but at what cost to the BA brand??
The purpose of a code share is not to make the passenger think they are flying on another airline, but rather to allow you to sell the service separately, and to open it up to more people who have all sorts of corporate deals, etc.

It is a huge benefit to be able to book Vueling flights under BA codes.

A wide array of airlines with different service models exist and codeshare happily.

Completely irrelevant issue.
Old Jul 27, 14, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
The purpose of a code share is not to make the passenger think they are flying on another airline, but rather to allow you to sell the service separately, and to open it up to more people who have all sorts of corporate deals, etc.

It is a huge benefit to be able to book Vueling flights under BA codes.

A wide array of airlines with different service models exist and codeshare happily.

Completely irrelevant issue.
That may be true, except there are loads of people, even on Flyertalk, who think they will be flying BA direct between say New York and Madrid when of course they are getting Iberia metal... Even more people think they are flying IB (and can access Oneworld lounges, etc.) when they are actually getting VY (and get nothing). People often think they are getting service standards of the company selling the ticket (more or less) and can easily be unpleasantly surprised when they get a mediocre low cost carrier.

When somebody books Ryanair or Easyjet directly, they know what they get and that's fine. Most people don't expect to get another carrier when they book on ba.com. I get a lot of blank stares when I mention codeshares or airline alliances to people...

I'm also not sure the typical BA-only corporate client is now thrilled that they are allowed to enjoy the Vueling experience. A few people though are probably happy at being able to earn Tier Points on Vueling flights, but that's about it...

Hardly irrelevant...
Old Jul 29, 14, 4:01 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I still say irrelevant. Because the issue you raise is a general one, irrespective of service standards.

"I'm also not sure the typical BA-only corporate client is now thrilled"
But if you we are talking corporate, who is the customer the passenger or the company paying?

Search this Thread