FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   45min transfer in MAD??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1579784-45min-transfer-mad.html)

Tony Ng May 24, 2014 12:32 pm

45min transfer in MAD???

I am new to FT, and I got some questions towards my IB flights in July.

I will be travelling from Munich to BCN ( transit in MAD)

I will take
IB3539 arriving MAD at 15:00
IB2720 leaving MAD to BCN at 15:45

I would like to ask is 45minutes okay for transit ?
The tickets have been successfully issued. What can I do for this transit?

Thank you very much

KIXJNB May 24, 2014 4:40 pm

This should be alright. You will leave from the same terminal you arrive. No extra security or anything.

craigthemif May 25, 2014 10:45 am

There are quite a few flights from MAD-BCN every day. Even if you miss the flight, you shouldn't have to wait too long for the next one...

Tony Ng May 25, 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 22922214)
There are quite a few flights from MAD-BCN every day. Even if you miss the flight, you shouldn't have to wait too long for the next one...

I think I would be more worry about my checked baggage at that time :rolleyes:

Viajero Millero May 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Intra-Europe flight. Shouldn't be a problem if you depart on time.

WoodyWindy Jun 1, 2014 6:30 am

RJ to trans Atlantic took over 45 minutes in constant motion to get from the end of 4 to end of 4S (isn't it always that way when you have a relatively tight window?) If I were to do that again, I would certainly shoot for a 2 hour (or more) window.

callum9999 Jun 4, 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by WoodyWindy (Post 22959046)
RJ to trans Atlantic took over 45 minutes in constant motion to get from the end of 4 to end of 4S (isn't it always that way when you have a relatively tight window?) If I were to do that again, I would certainly shoot for a 2 hour (or more) window.

That would depend on how busy the flights are. With Madrid-Barcelona being such a high frequency route I'd personally risk it. If the OP misses the 15.45 they can take the 16.10 or 17.10. If you book straight onto the later flight and arrive in time for the earlier one then you're stuck waiting (though of course have your seat guaranteed).

Tony Ng Jun 6, 2014 12:01 am

I got Iberia email today, and said they have changed my flight time as below

http://i.imgur.com/NomOsYs.png

As my another flight to Barcelona from Madrid is departed at 15:45.

What could I do right now?

LupineChemist Jun 6, 2014 1:19 am

You are still within Minimum connection time.

http://www.iberia.com/fly-with-iberi...d/?language=en

I wuold leave it and worst case get booked on another IB or VY flight within an hour or so.

MAD T4 is the biggest terminal I know purpose built with Schengen in mind. It's really just a long hall and is just like US airports in that you deplane directly into the departures area. Try to get a seat toward the front and you should be more than fine.

Even if the checked luggage doesn't make it, there is a decent chance it will and you wouldn't lose any more time than you would have by changing in the first place and you shouldn't have to wait too long for the next flight that will have your bag.

beachfan Mar 11, 2019 10:11 am

I just got a schedule change for my MIA-MAD-EAS flight.

MIA-MAD arrives at 7:45 AM. My MAD-EAS was changed from 11:45 (4 hour layover) to 1:50 departure (6 hour layover). I thought I might just take an Air Room, but they don't accept day use until 10AM and given they are in T4 but outside security, I'd need to leave 90 minutes before flight time (i.e., an hour to get through security) - my TATL is business class but my MAD-EAS is coach so I'm guessing no priority to get into T4 airside. It seems like not enough time to make it worth leaving airside.

Perhaps I can change it to Bilbao, that flight leaves at 9am. Is that enough time (1 hour 15 minutes for the transfer)? I'll be in business class, and it will be Saturday morning (if no delay). The next flight to BIO is 11:35 which gets me in at 12:35, which should get me in to my hotel in EAS just a little earlier (but maybe not much if I have to take a bus, and then a taxi to the hotel).

I'm not even sure they will let me change the flight to BIO since it's an award ticket (first try came up "NO"). But if I can, is the 75 minute transfer doable? I'm guessing it would be T4S to T4.

BA6501 Mar 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Very doable. Don't know whether they would accept such a change, mind.

You would also have lounge access before your MAD-EAS, even though that's in Y, if you want to stay in the T4 lounge.

beachfan Mar 13, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks!

Hoping for an answer in my other thread about whether it's possible to change the destination on an award ticket (LAX-MAD-xxx) without cancelling the TATL portion.

LupineChemist Mar 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Honestly it would depend on the agent but it seems like a lot of hassle to save not that much time.

transportbiz Mar 14, 2019 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Tony Ng (Post 22918721)
I am new to FT, and I got some questions towards my IB flights in July.

I will be travelling from Munich to BCN ( transit in MAD)

I will take
IB3539 arriving MAD at 15:00
IB2720 leaving MAD to BCN at 15:45

I would like to ask is 45minutes okay for transit ?
The tickets have been successfully issued. What can I do for this transit?

Thank you very much

Don't do it. I recently had a 45min connection there, if you do miss connect don't count on Iberia to put you on the next available flight, even in full paid business class they don't guarantee that. Also, they will do nothing at the outbound flight to avoid the issue compounding at the connecting city. This happened to me last week, took me 24 hours to get from Malaga to Frankfurt. Dreadful as their parent company airline, but at least that one some people do speak English.

Still trying to figure out how to claim compensation too, Iberia really works hard to make that process as difficult at possible.

Yllanes Mar 14, 2019 10:47 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 30886813)
Don't do it. I recently had a 45min connection there, if you do miss connect don't count on Iberia to put you on the next available flight, even in full paid business class they don't guarantee that.

If both segments are in the same reservation, of course they'll put you on the next flight (and to BCN there are many, so the 45 min connection is not risky). If it's two separate reservations, you are on your own.

transportbiz Mar 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes (Post 30886993)
If both segments are in the same reservation, of course they'll put you on the next flight (and to BCN there are many, so the 45 min connection is not risky). If it's two separate reservations, you are on your own.

Then why didn't they? My ticket booked through Iberian website was GVA-AGP (via MAD) and returning AGP-FRA again via MAD. The AGP-MAD flight was delayed 70 minutes and I missed my 4pm flight to FRA. There was an 8pm flight that was overbooked and they wouldn't even wait-list me for it. Further, they would not put me on the Swiss flight that would have left AGP to FRA via ZUR at 3:20 and would have had me in FRA about 3 hours later than planned and avoided the mess of miss-connecting entirely. No, I ended up on a 6:15 am flight on LH, with an overnight in Madrid.

So, no, they won't put you on the next flight, and no they won't make any effort to get you there anywhere near your planned arrival. And no, don't bother booking business class thinking that will prioritize you in any way.

BA6501 Mar 14, 2019 1:49 pm

They'll put you on the next available flight - did you honestly expect them to bump people off to accommodate you?

Iberia do do a lot of standby listing - the fact it wasn't offered to you is most likely because it already had many passengers on standby for that flight. Would you have really preferred to hang around with uncertainty until past 8pm, then having to be rebooked at that time on whatever is left at that point in time? Or be rebooked from the onset and go to your hotel?

Not sure how you get to 24 hours from AGP to FRA, mind.

Yllanes Mar 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 30887432)
Then why didn't they?

By your own account, because it was full...

If there is only one later flight, with a 45 min connection you run the risk of what happened to you (i.e., the next available flight not leaving until next morning). This is a negligible risk if your final destination is BCN, as in the case of the person to whom you were replying.