Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
He is doing great thanks , I am waiting still to hear via email and FB the status of this cancelation.
Oddly enough though while looking at the T&C in Spanish it states that changes can be made outside of 3 hours and tariff conditions.
ib
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Well I am having a meltdown... I have called again and submitted forms via their website ( hard to find) and have been told via Iberia FB that the flights are non refundable due to calling 1hr and 50 min ahead of flight... INCORRECT !
So I took a screenshot of my call and sent it especially in reference to the flight from Mad to LPA on the 30th of March with was 4 days before departure.I called 7 hours ahead of the Miami flight and 4 days ahead of the Gran Canary flight.
I am fed up with their incompetence, I have sent doctor's/hospital letter, and phone call screenshot.
Also printed out the cost of 40k avios since the insurance I took out was only for $2k refund and that was mostly for the cruise since I knew that was nonrefundable but did not realize that Iberia beats to a different drum than the other airlines in the US which charge you for re-depositing miles.. which by the way American Airlines waived.
I am also contacting Chase to see if the fees and taxes can be disputed for a flight I didn't take.
I have learned my lesson about charging flights, fees etc with anyone but Chase Sapphire Preferred .
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
so i stupidly booked an internal flight in business on one of AA's worst planes using ib90k. only their worst plays fly this route.
if i understand, no other options.. allowed other than date change? destination can't change ..
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Changes are only allowed on IB and BA metal. With AA the booking cannot be changed in any way and you can’t get any Avios back either. You might be able to cancel and get the taxes back.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
so i stupidly booked an internal flight in business on one of AA's worst planes using ib90k. only their worst plays fly this route.
if i understand, no other options.. allowed other than date change? destination can't change ..
What route is that and what plane?

I have a flight that I booked using Avios and flying with American Eagle Envoy Bombardier CRJ-700
to Chicago from Rochester then Boeing 737-800 to SLC.

I tried changing the flight to a later return and couldn't do it..
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Changes are only allowed on IB and BA metal. With AA the booking cannot be changed in any way and you cant get any Avios back either. You might be able to cancel and get the taxes back.
Why do they have such a strict policy with regard to partners? Only round-trip, no changes, no cancellations. Aren't they *required* to allow changes/cancellations within 24 hours for to/from/within the U.S.?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:34 pm

A Miracle just happened!

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Sad news. Hoping for a swift recovery.

To be honest, you probably won't get your Avios back for the flights canceled within 24 hours. All the phone agents do is send the cancellations off to their back office to be processed, where they might be rather more strict about the T&Cs.

As for insurance, I would probably use the standard price for buying 85,000 Avios directly from IB+. You could also try for the regular price of Business Class tickets if paying cash, using the argument of going to Spain at some point in the future under the same conditions as your missed flight. Neither might be accepted by your insurance company but I'd start there.
After sending a letter to the CEO, after continually hounding the agent through FB about their rules and how my cancelation was not on a whim that it was a medical emergency and debating with several agents during my calls, after receiving their standard reply in Spanish to why they couldn't accommodate my requests ( refunding avios and taxes) the unexpected happened today.
Two out of the 3 flights that I submitted claims for have been refunded.
I received from their administration office a refund statement for each of our flights from MIA to MAD and then within minutes my 85k Avios were returned.
It has been a long 2 weeks of back and forth with them.
The first flight that was quickly refunded was from MAD to LPA and I thought it was a fluke since my husband's wasn't . So I still am waiting for that one to be taken care of.. I am still chatting with the agent via FB.
Oh Happy Day!
Yllanes likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:42 pm

Thanks for reporting back. In my experience, IB has been pretty good allowing changes in this sort of situations, I am glad it is working out for you.
duranza likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:17 am

I have now been waiting two weeks for a refund of Iberia Avios and taxes. Still no resolution. Tried contacting customer service numerous times, then CEO, still no resolution. Last week was told they are investigating. Everything was done in accordance with their policies and I am due the refund of Avios and taxes for theis Iberia flight. Really disgusting and unprofessional service. What else am I supposed to do? they dont seem to care.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:13 pm

Contact [email protected] .
Her name is Sol Orduna
She was very quick to get results.
You need to supply your Iberia plus number and details.
I wrote to her in Spanish, try Google translate .
I finally got the last trip refunded after 21 days of initially canceling.
Good luck.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:06 am

Has anyone successfully returned avios for a "promo 90k" for canceling a ticket after December 1st 2018? I want to cancel my tickets, but I don’t know if the avios will be returned?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by anim
Has anyone successfully returned avios for a "promo 90k" for canceling a ticket after December 1st 2018? I want to cancel my tickets, but I don’t know if the avios will be returned?
Welcome to FT Anim.

Latest reports suggest yes. See here Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking, 21 to 24 June 2018 on iberia.com

I cancelled over a week ago but can't report back yet since it true IB style no sign yet of any refund, cancellation email or anything of the sort, so based on the reports here I'm fully expecting to have to chase this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
Welcome to FT Anim.

Latest reports suggest yes. See here Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking, 21 to 24 June 2018 on iberia.com

I cancelled over a week ago but can't report back yet since it true IB style no sign yet of any refund, cancellation email or anything of the sort, so based on the reports here I'm fully expecting to have to chase this.
Keen to know whether youve made any progress here myself! Keeping fingers crossed for a positive outcome
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA, IB, LH, U2
I am feeling pretty envious of all of you above who managed to at least cancel the flights, even if was then a hassle to get the refunds.
I cannot get as far as cancelling the flights (my wife has just had an emergency operation, and the first flight is on 6th February)
Has anybody managed to cancel flights recently using English rather than Spanish?
I got past the website links to non-existent pages, and the two numbers that are on MYB just not working (that's +34 901 111 500 and +34 901 201 214)
So, then:
+34 917 742 607 on hold for >30 minutes and then cuts me off.
+44 20 3684 3744 first got me an extraordinarily rude agent who suggested I HUCA !
A second time the agent just could not hear me (I am using a UK mobile at my end, and could hear her fine) so we agreed I needed to HUCA.
I eventually got a helpful agent there who also struggled to hear (perhaps they have cheap VOIP and cheap headsets)
He said that he couldn't cancel the reservations it because it needs Iberia+, but he did tell me I could get Iberia+ by calling the UK 3744 number and when the robot asks for what one wants help, saying "Iberia Plus".
That gets to it asking for more details, and both "Cancel Bookings" and "Amend Bookings" lead to the line going quiet, and ten seconds later cutting off.
I tried again and tried "Amend Reservation", which got me a real person. :-)
"You want to amend the reservation"
"No, cancel it because my wife has had an emergency operation"
"You need to email the medical department [email protected]"
"But I'm happy to pay the EUR25 fees"
"No, I can't see whether it is cancellable because it is an Avios ticket"
My confirmations say that the bookings (the first is one flight on IB, the second is one on IB and one on I2) are cancellable until 24 hours before the first flight.
So perhaps he was not actually Iberia+ ?

I have sent the email now, but I fear there will be no prompt response..
Any suggestions?
Time of day? day of week?
I rather suspect I will get "Cancellations cannot be accepted by email" although if I cannot reach them by 'phone I guess I can only email them and then make legal claim afterwards saying they refused any other form of service.
Perhaps I should have been robotic and not mentioned reason for cancellation?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:27 pm

Try messaging them through Facebook, they were pretty prompt with me then.

Originally Posted by zsalya_fly
I am feeling pretty envious of all of you above who managed to at least cancel the flights, even if was then a hassle to get the refunds.
I cannot get as far as cancelling the flights (my wife has just had an emergency operation, and the first flight is on 6th February)
Has anybody managed to cancel flights recently using English rather than Spanish?
I got past the website links to non-existent pages, and the two numbers that are on MYB just not working (that's +34 901 111 500 and +34 901 201 214)
So, then:
+34 917 742 607 on hold for >30 minutes and then cuts me off.
+44 20 3684 3744 first got me an extraordinarily rude agent who suggested I HUCA !
A second time the agent just could not hear me (I am using a UK mobile at my end, and could hear her fine) so we agreed I needed to HUCA.
I eventually got a helpful agent there who also struggled to hear (perhaps they have cheap VOIP and cheap headsets)
He said that he couldn't cancel the reservations it because it needs Iberia+, but he did tell me I could get Iberia+ by calling the UK 3744 number and when the robot asks for what one wants help, saying "Iberia Plus".
That gets to it asking for more details, and both "Cancel Bookings" and "Amend Bookings" lead to the line going quiet, and ten seconds later cutting off.
I tried again and tried "Amend Reservation", which got me a real person. :-)
"You want to amend the reservation"
"No, cancel it because my wife has had an emergency operation"
"You need to email the medical department [email protected]"
"But I'm happy to pay the EUR25 fees"
"No, I can't see whether it is cancellable because it is an Avios ticket"
My confirmations say that the bookings (the first is one flight on IB, the second is one on IB and one on I2) are cancellable until 24 hours before the first flight.
So perhaps he was not actually Iberia+ ?

I have sent the email now, but I fear there will be no prompt response..
Any suggestions?
Time of day? day of week?
I rather suspect I will get "Cancellations cannot be accepted by email" although if I cannot reach them by 'phone I guess I can only email them and then make legal claim afterwards saying they refused any other form of service.
Perhaps I should have been robotic and not mentioned reason for cancellation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.