Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
I cancelled a flight on October 1st and got my avios and credit card refund on 30 October.

I had to call them 3 times; it seems the first time they cancelled the flights and did nothing else; the 2nd time they did nothing - and the 3rd time they did what they should have done the 1st time.

You just have to stay patient and remain pro-active.

I did need the avios recrediting for a November 2019 redemption - so not totally urgently so I guess I could afford to be a little more laid back.

Good luck

Last edited by dewsburyborn; Nov 2, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Originally Posted by Yllanes
No. The only refundable redemptions are on the IB group, VY and BA.

I've got an award ticket on AA metal that was hit with an 8 hour schedule change. This wont work for me. Will I be able to cancel this and get my Iberia avios re-credited?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:42 pm

Yes, in general with a significant schedule change you can cancel (you will have to call, though).
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Not sure if this should go here or the 90K promo thread as it involves those Avios. Last month I booked an award, then immediately cancelled since I had forgotten to add on an extra segment (which apparently you can't even do anymore per the other mixed class booking thread). Called a few times, including the Spanish number, but hadn't gotten the Avios redeposited yet.

About 10 days ago I got the refund email. Called +34 917 742 607 today and was eventually told that they may be non-refundable as they were promo Avios. And to email [email protected] for an explanation. Now I'm running out of time to actually redeem them before they expire at the end of the month. Is this just a case of HUCA? Or would the email address given actually help out quickly enough? Scoured all threads and don't see anyone in the same predicament. It's been about three weeks since I cancelled, so it may just be taking it's time to get refunded but after what the person said about it may be non-refundable, and she wouldn't be able to help, I'm a bit worried now.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, I would HUCA.
Tell them you urgently need the Avios for a new award booking. They can put them back into your account immediately, as long as it’s been more than 2-3 days since you canceled.
I wouldn’t mention the promo, just say you had received the cash back after an award cancellation, but not the Avios.
Good luck.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Yes, I would HUCA.
Tell them you urgently need the Avios for a new award booking. They can put them back into your account immediately, as long as it’s been more than 2-3 days since you canceled.
I wouldn’t mention the promo, just say you had received the cash back after an award cancellation, but not the Avios.
Good luck.
Thanks, did call back. They said they had to hand it off to a supervisor and hopefully will hear back within 24 hours. Yeash, wish I'd read this thread before I cancelled and not listened to the first phone agent that said it would be 2-3 days to get the Avios back. I'd have just kept my original reservation.

Account has been open and active for 6+ years as well, fwiw.

Also emailed, hopefully that wasn't a mistake. Having multiple groups working on it probably wouldn't be good. Or worse, the Iberia email folks rule that it is ineligible for a refund due to it being promo miles rather than the phone agents just depositing them.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Don’t worry, their email support is so slow, by the time they have read your email, you will long have flown the ticket. ;-)

If you don’t hear back, I would definitely call again tomorrow. They deposited my miles back while I was still on the phone.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Not sure if this should go here or the 90K promo thread as it involves those Avios. Last month I booked an award, then immediately cancelled since I had forgotten to add on an extra segment (which apparently you can't even do anymore per the other mixed class booking thread). Called a few times, including the Spanish number, but hadn't gotten the Avios redeposited yet.
Well you are in luck I canceled late last week and my Avios were re-deposited today (as promised, less than 24 hours for the refund e-mail and less than 72 hours for the Avios refund). I thought I read somewhere that the promo Avios once booked can't be canceled (change of dates is permissible prior to 01DEC), but I am glad I was mistaken. I was assured by two different agents that my Avios will be refunded in 72 hours.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Don’t worry, their email support is so slow, by the time they have read your email, you will long have flown the ticket. ;-)

If you don’t hear back, I would definitely call again tomorrow. They deposited my miles back while I was still on the phone.
They did email back within 12 hours saying they only deal with Iberia Plus related things (which this was I thought this was?). But they were still able to get the Avios redeposited. So I'm all set now, and only took a few weeks Award space for what I wanted is gone, but can figure something else out.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:19 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
What is the general experience once you request a refund, get the email informing you of said refund.

Do the avios generally appear a few days later or should one call back and say you urgently need the miles ?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:21 pm

If you're not in a rush, the miles should appear after 2 weeks or so.
If you don't want to wait that long, you can call 2-3 days after canceling over the phone, whether you got an email or not.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:38 am

Cancelled two avios bookings on Iberia today (85k avios). The agent said the refund might take up to three weeks. Let's hope they can do it a bit faster so they don't expire on the 1st of December.

I'll probably give them a call in a week or so.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:47 am

Yesterday, I gave them a call regarding a couple of Avios bookings I cancelled 10 days ago - the money had been refunded but not the Avios. They checked and saw the previous agent had forgotten to refund the Avios when they did the refund so they did the refund of the Avios on the phone and they appeared in my account immediately. I would suggest calling them and saying the money has been refunded but not the Avios - this should get you your Avios back immediately.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:04 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by afirm
Cancelled two avios bookings on Iberia today (85k avios). The agent said the refund might take up to three weeks. Let's hope they can do it a bit faster so they don't expire on the 1st of December.

I'll probably give them a call in a week or so.
Same thing here. Two agents told me to email the contact centre and that it would take 3-4 weeks minimum. Didn't want to help.

Between that and their awful prompt selection which lands me on a normal Iberia agent 9/10, I can't say I'm very happy with the experience.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:31 am
GVA

Originally Posted by mikeecix
I would suggest calling them and saying the money has been refunded but not the Avios - this should get you your Avios back immediately.
In the end it took me 13 phone calls (!!!) but I did get through to an agent who - following the above method - posted back my avios immediately.

The other agents I spoke to either didn't look after Iberia Plus (thanks to Iberia's great phone system) or didn't want to help (see my previous post, but basically it wasn't their problem - send an email and/or wait 3/4 weeks).

Except for the last agent, IB's service levels are shockingly poor and I had a couple of agents hang up on me. The "don't give" attitude is prominent and it seems their metrics are measured on how many phone calls they can process rather than actually resolving problems or helping the customer. Overall a 0 out of 10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.