Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Old May 27, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Are Iberia avios tickets on AA able to be changed to different dates?

I did exactly that for 4 of my party of 5 and when AA opened additional seats I tried to move the fifth and the agent noticed that flights were on AA and said that the four already moved were done so in error and they would have to escalate to supervisor.

I have email confirmation of the change but am now concerned that they will cancel my seats.
AA awards via IB+ are non-refundable and non-changeable. You may get lucky or they may put you back on the original flights.

Well, considering it is IB+, it might get even worse and you end up with neither flight (if the original flight no longer has award space) and a big fight for your Avios back.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
AA awards via IB+ are non-refundable and non-changeable. You may get lucky or they may put you back on the original flights.

Well, considering it is IB+, it might get even worse and you end up with neither flight (if the original flight no longer has award space) and a big fight for your Avios back.
Called back and a different CSR changed my ticket and I have emails from Iberia confirming my seats and seats for the family. They charged me $40 per seat on the first four and did mine for free. No consistency at all. Saved 15th avios vs BA but never again.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:42 pm

i tried doing as others have suggested and contacting IB through Facebook after a week of waiting for a refund (it was an IB flight and the agent had said 3 days). Although they refunded the Avios immediately, it's still been almost 10 days and still no refund. Will just keep trying, I guess.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
If I am reading this correctly,, If I were to cancel an Iberia+ reward booking that includes a BA flight I will not get an avios refund.

Flight is MIA-MAD (IB) MAD-LHR (IB) LHR-LBA (BA) the last leg is not an IB flight so do I lose all the Avios or just the 4000 for the last leg.

Hope this makes sense.

I was on phone to Iberia agent but no matter what I asked he just said yes I would get the Avios back. Not sure he understood me, I hardly understand me half the time.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'm pretty sure IB/VY/YW/BA bookings are refundable.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
I'm pretty sure IB/VY/YW/BA bookings are refundable.
VY awards are definitely non-refundable.

IB/YW definitely are refundable.

I believe BA is refundable when booked alone or with IB flights. When part of a multi-airline Oneworld award itinerary I believe the whole thing is non-refundable.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Indeed VY is non refundable - I knew it was four airlines that an exception, turns out the 4th is I2...

refund (in each direction)
Permitted with a surcharge of €25 up to 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on the ticket, as long as this does not include any IB5XXX flight. Refunds only permitted on flights with codes IB, YW, I2 and BA, unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme.
If I understand this correctly:
IB/YW/I2/BA = ref
IB+other airline = ref
Any other airline/combination = nonref
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed VY is non refundable - I knew it was four airlines that an exception, turns out the 4th is I2...

IB/YW/I2/BA = ref
IB+other airline = ref
IB+ other airline = nonref
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Thanks for the replies. I phoned again and this time got a really good agent who assured me I would get the avios back and because there had been a slight time change to one of the flights I would not be charged a cancellation fee.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by IB+
refund (in each direction)
Permitted with a surcharge of €25 up to 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on the ticket, as long as this does not include any IB5XXX flight. Refunds only permitted on flights with codes IB, YW, I2 and BA, unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme.

IB/YW/I2/BA = ref
IB+other airline = ref
Originally Posted by craigthemif
IB+ other airline = nonref
I read it the way BA6501 does, i.e:

Refunds are only permitted on IB/YV/I2/BA and not any other airlines, unless the booking is IB+other airline in which case that is also refundable.

Anyone have actual experience of this?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Anyone have actual experience of this?
I'm also curious to see any actual example, I think the extra sentence "unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme" is relatively new.

I also read it like craigthemif, but it would mean that IB+BA is not refundable when IB and BA separately are, so it is not completely clear cut.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:34 pm

Turns out you can't book BA Comair flights with IB+ anyway, so sadly I can't be the guinea pig on the IB+BA question as I'll book as two separate tickets.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yllanes
I'm also curious to see any actual example, I think the extra sentence "unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme" is relatively new.

I also read it like craigthemif, but it would mean that IB+BA is not refundable when IB and BA separately are, so it is not completely clear cut.
IB+, particularly in English, is a nightmare for poorly-worded T&Cs.

My understanding is that a combination of IB + any airline outside the IAG group flips over to the Oneworld award chart. And that ANY award based on the Oneworld award chart is non-refundable. Therefore the sloppy language re. refunds.

http://www.iberia.com/web/webPartner...&idPartner=711
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:27 am

That makes sense and is what I would bet, but it really is poorly worded (the Spanish version is not much better in this case).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Is this normal?

I just cancelled a one-way IB+ award flight from MAD-GUA.

Apparently I'll get the Avios re-credited (I'll wait & see), but no refund at all of fees / fuel charges / taxes.

According to the IB booking, I paid £120 in fees, plus another £45 in "taxes and surcharges", plus another £20 or so in airport charges and so on. The agent on the phone informed me that "fuel surcharges" (she actually said fuel "taxes") would not be refunded. Apparently though, that covers £165 = £120+45, so both sets of fees charged. The remaining £20 of my original payment is soaked up by the £25 change / cancellation fee.

In other words, I get back my Avios, but it's cost me £185 to book and cancel the flight itself. I'm pretty unhappy about that - is it right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.