Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
Did yiu pay any fees for cancellation I booked a flight using avios from jfk to athens but Greece just got upgraded to cdc level 4. Just wondering since I booked with miles for business class if i would lose any compensation
If it's the same as I'm seeing in a similar award search in Business, the refund rules are:
Permitted with a surcharge of €25 up to 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on the ticket, as long as this does not include any IB5XXX flight. Refunds only permitted on flights with codes IB, YW, I2 and BA, unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:53 am

Canceling an award Business ticket after 24h

Could you please clarify if it's possible (in theory) to get the Avios back if the client cancels a Business award ticket after 24h.
I can see that when paying with cash, one has to pay extra to make it refundable after 24h,
so I'm concerned about the award that doesn't have that "pay extra to make it refundable" option.
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by NikSem
Could you please clarify if it's possible (in theory) to get the Avios back if the client cancels a Business award ticket after 24h.
I can see that when paying with cash, one has to pay extra to make it refundable after 24h,
so I'm concerned about the award that doesn't have that "pay extra to make it refundable" option.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if the 24hr window after booking that you can cancel a paid booking is what you mean, points bookings can be canceled anytime...I've never had an issue doing it.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 11:15 am

The rules are as quoted on the preceding message. Cancellations are:

Permitted with a surcharge of €25 up to 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on the ticket, as long as this does not include any IB5XXX flight. Refunds only permitted on flights with codes IB, YW, I2 and BA, unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:03 pm

This is getting ridiculous. Canceled over the phone (actually talked with someone) over two weeks ago. No email confirmation or anything. But it definitely got canceled because the record locator doesn't show anything anymore.
Nearly 100k and $600 still just sitting out there somewhere still waiting to be refunded to me.

I've tried email. I've tried the form https://contacto.iberia.com/ . I've tried twitter. Nothing.
This was booked so long ago, I can't imagine a chargeback would even work.

Anybody had any luck?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by gooch69509
This is getting ridiculous. Canceled over the phone (actually talked with someone) over two weeks ago. No email confirmation or anything. But it definitely got canceled because the record locator doesn't show anything anymore.
Nearly 100k and $600 still just sitting out there somewhere still waiting to be refunded to me.

I've tried email. I've tried the form https://contacto.iberia.com/ . I've tried twitter. Nothing.
This was booked so long ago, I can't imagine a chargeback would even work.

Anybody had any luck?
Some agents are better than others... I have recently cancelled a flight with 68k and $$ and they reimbursed incorrectly in my favor as they didn't charge me the cancelation fee and when the receipt came back with the miles only 34k was listed even though I received all. You can try calling again , also this email might get you a quicker resolve.. just put your Iberia acct # in the subject , nothing else. [email protected]
I usually send screenshot of my receipts too.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:10 am

Used the magical email [email protected] yesterday with success. Points credited to my account today. The person who emailed me back from that email box now is:
Susana Lorenzo
Iberia Customer Relations
B2B Customer Center & Claims
Customer Engagement

Of course, I also used the [email protected] and FB direct message. BUT if I had to guess, I'd say it was the email to [email protected] that worked. The FB was just a standard chatbot.

They gave me back the taxes and fees and didn't take out the change fee. Interesting.

Last edited by formfacts; Sep 22, 2021 at 11:39 am
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:09 am

So, I canceled our trip on Jan 7th around 12:00PM, 3 separate reservations. First departure was Jan 8th at 9:00PM Bos-Mad(about 34 hours before flight departure), other 2 reservations were for Jan 13th and Jan 24th for shorter flights in Europe. I just received points back and refund email for the shorter flights, but of course nothing for the main flight. Will fire off some emails, had a feeling this would happen.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:55 pm

points and cash refunded!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Am I correctly understanding that the IB Avios award cancellation fee is 25Euro per direction per passenger?

Example:
Total of 2 passengers
Lets say I book a round-trip itinerary (all on one PNR/Record Locator): JFK-MAD-BCN / BCN-MAD-JFK
OR
I book two one ways (on two separate PNR/Record Locators): JFK-MAD-BCN /// BCN-MAD-JFK

So, regardless of how I structure the booking, I'd pay the same award cancellation fee of 100EUR (calculated as 25EUR for the outbound, 25EUR for the inbound, and then multiply that times two since it's two passengers)?

Last edited by HoKo; Feb 16, 2022 at 3:32 pm
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HoKo
Am I correctly understanding that the IB Avios award cancellation fee is 25Euro per direction per passenger?

Example:
Total of 2 passengers
Lets say I book a round-trip itinerary (all on one PNR/Record Locator): JFK-MAD-BCN / BCN-MAD-JFK
OR
I book two one ways (on two separate PNR/Record Locators): JFK-MAD-BCN /// BCN-MAD-JFK

So, regardless of how I structure the booking, I'd pay the same award cancellation fee of 100EUR (calculated as 25EUR for the outbound, 25EUR for the inbound, and then multiply that times two since it's two passengers)?
No, it's 25 euros per passenger. (for Blue and Business awards)

If you book a return on the same e-ticket for 2 people, you would only be liable for a 50 euro cancellation / change fee.

However, if you have any temptation to change dates, destinations, etc. you should book one-ways nonetheless. It will be far easier to deal with IB if needed.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by craigthemif
No, it's 25 euros per passenger. (for Blue and Business awards)

If you book a return on the same e-ticket for 2 people, you would only be liable for a 50 euro cancellation / change fee.

However, if you have any temptation to change dates, destinations, etc. you should book one-ways nonetheless. It will be far easier to deal with IB if needed.
Ah I see. Ok thanks for the feedback!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:55 pm

Cancel return segment only?

I have an ORD-MAD return flight booked with Avios. I no longer need the MAD-ORD return segment. Will Iberia allow me to cancel just the return segment, but keep the outbound?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
I have an ORD-MAD return flight booked with Avios. I no longer need the MAD-ORD return segment. Will Iberia allow me to cancel just the return segment, but keep the outbound?
Maybe, but this is why you book IB+ awards as one-ways...
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Maybe, but this is why you book IB+ awards as one-ways...
I am traveling with a lap child, so fees (10% of fare) are a lot less if I book return vs one way.

would appreciate if anyone has experience dropping one leg of a return with IB+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.