Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Seat assignment changing immediately after I pick it?

Old Jun 10, 13, 6:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member

This is a new one, to me anyway.

I checked my seat assignments today for an Avios flight booked for next month. The aircraft type had changed and my exit row seats were now ordinary compressed seats! So I changed them to exit row seats, which were still available as opposite aisles. A few minutes later I went back to check and one of the seats had been moved 2 rows away. Weird! I moved it back where I wanted. A few minutes later it was one row away from where I requested. Double weird!

After 3 or 4 iterations of this the seats appear to be staying in the exit row as I requested. Oddly, one of the seats is now the exit window, a seat which I never selected because it was consistently shown as unavailable in the seating chart. Either the system or a clever CSR read my mind that I wanted 2 seats together (on separate PNRs) rather than opposite aisles.

All's well that ends well. Does anyone know what causes this odd behavior with online seat assignments?
Old Jun 10, 13, 8:05 pm
nsx
Original Poster

I just saw this post:
Originally Posted by globalste View Post
Really? I have never been able to pre-select seats online unless booked on IB.com.

no pre-selecting an exit seat is impossible, but they can normally be bagged at T-36.
Will my exit row seat assignments be canceled? Or will they stay the way they are?

Is this related to my mysteriously changing seat assignments?
Old Jun 17, 13, 6:51 pm
nsx
Original Poster

They changed the equipment BACK to what it was before. And when I changed my mind about a new seat selection I got: "This flight does not permit seat selection "

Grrr. What is going on? Do they lock the record for a few hours when you change your selected seat? The error message is user-unfriendly.

Edited to add: My guess is that award tickets don't actually qualify for advance seat assignment, yet the website allows it if a human being confirming the assignment doesn't catch it. I think my luck on that ran out today. I won't mess with my other reservations which have good assignments.

The Finnair site revealed my current seat assignments, which are acceptable though not ideal. I will try to improve on them at the airport. My chances should be excellent since this flight follows an overnight connection. So I will be asking the evening before travel.

Last edited by nsx; Jun 17, 13 at 7:16 pm

Search this Thread