Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:45 am

I recently opened an IB account (2 weeks ago) and would like to take advantage of the current AMEX MR transfer bonus. After I transfer my MR to IB, will I be able to then transfer the IB+ to BA after 90 days? Am I understanding this correctly?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by whataidiot
I recently opened an IB account (2 weeks ago) and would like to take advantage of the current AMEX MR transfer bonus. After I transfer my MR to IB, will I be able to then transfer the IB+ to BA after 90 days? Am I understanding this correctly?
I believe that other people have mentioned on FT that IB+ does not consider MR to be sufficient to "activate" an account. You should try to credit a flight, hotel stay, car rental, etc. within those 90 days.

However I am quite sure that you won't be able to move Avios to BA until those 90 days have passed.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I believe that other people have mentioned on FT that IB+ does not consider MR to be sufficient to "activate" an account. You should try to credit a flight, hotel stay, car rental, etc. within those 90 days.

However I am quite sure that you won't be able to move Avios to BA until those 90 days have passed.
I was under the impression an Amex MR transfer is enough to activate the account. Has anyone done this successfully?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by whataidiot
I was under the impression an Amex MR transfer is enough to activate the account. Has anyone done this successfully?

I did it sometime back and it worked.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:53 am

Ok, thank you both. I'll transfer the MR and hope for the best.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Yes, much lower. Just did a quick search and ORD-MAD would be $227.87 total for taxes and fees RT in business next summer.
I've now seen several conversations on this subject and I'm unclear on the mechanism. Is this really a difference between the airlines? Or is it simply the fact that the IB flights don't go through London, which incurs hefty taxes?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:53 pm

One other question: do I understand correctly that once you have activated both accounts at least once, you can simply transfer avios back and forth to keep both accounts active forever? If so, how often do you have to do that?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is there any benefit to transferring to IB? Especially for US based folks?
Yes, IB's award chart is very favorable for some things, notably awards from ORD. Also some say the fuel surcharges and taxes are better (but see the question I just asked in this same thread).
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I've now seen several conversations on this subject and I'm unclear on the mechanism. Is this really a difference between the airlines? Or is it simply the fact that the IB flights don't go through London, which incurs hefty taxes?
IB has much lower YQ than BA - and BA applies their own YQ on all transatlantic routes except for EI and AB.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
e-rewards to activate?

I have an e-rewards account (joined via Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.) I am winding down VS collecting and it is giving me the option to redeem to many other partners including Iberia Plus. My Iberia Plus acct been open c. 12 months but never managed/bothered to credit anything to it to activate it. I'd happily transfer 8k e-rewards to my Iberia acct for 3k avios...can anyone confirm that this will a) work, b) activate the acct so all can be extracted to avios.com?

Cheers,
HH
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, AMEX Canada, BAEC, IB+
Sorry for bumping the thread, I just want to mention my experience in activating my Iberia account in hopes it might be helpful for someone else.

It turns out I waited the 90 days, bought something in the IberiaPlus store but the points take a while to post (still waiting for them to post) so I looked into straight up buying points. I read a few posts where people state that you need to have some activity to buy points but this was not my case, the T&C explicitly say the account needs to have 90 days OR have a balance of more than 0 points to buy avios (Obviously I did not test whether I could buy before the 90 days). I did a quick test combining from BAEC before buying and it errored out, bought 2k avios on Iberia, then combined my BAEC points and it worked. If it matters, I did the transfer from the Iberia website. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by hedgehopper
I have an e-rewards account (joined via Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.) I am winding down VS collecting and it is giving me the option to redeem to many other partners including Iberia Plus. My Iberia Plus acct been open c. 12 months but never managed/bothered to credit anything to it to activate it. I'd happily transfer 8k e-rewards to my Iberia acct for 3k avios...can anyone confirm that this will a) work, b) activate the acct so all can be extracted to avios.com?

Cheers,
HH
Yes, e-rewards activate the account. Basically anything except Combine My Avios activates the account. If you do the transfer until Sunday evening, the Avios post at Tuesday morning, except in rare cases when you need to wait indeterminate time for them to fix the glitch.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hope everyone's having a good day.
I have a BAEC household account (Mine is the primary + 2 others), can I transfer only the Avios in my specific BAEC account into my Iberia account or can I transfer all from the household account ??

The other BAEC account holders don't have Iberia accounts yet and as such couldn't transfer anytime soon into a new one they create.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hope everyone's having a good day.
I have a BAEC household account (Mine is the primary + 2 others), can I transfer only the Avios in my specific BAEC account into my Iberia account or can I transfer all from the household account ??

The other BAEC account holders don't have Iberia accounts yet and as such couldn't transfer anytime soon into a new one they create.
I believe you cannot directly combine ANY Avios if you have a HHA. There are workarounds, but definitely none that allow you to take all of your friends and family's Avios and combine them into one IB+ account.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I believe you cannot directly combine ANY Avios if you have a HHA. There are workarounds, but definitely none that allow you to take all of your friends and family's Avios and combine them into one IB+ account.
NUTS !

Aslong as I could move my own over that would be Okay.
Need to investigate further as to whether I can move mine over & how (if there needs to be a trick).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.