Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Tips for avoiding missing connections at MAD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

I have a flight via MAD to ORD, and there is only 55 mins to change at MAD. Any tips to avoid missing the connection flight to ORD?

Both have Iberia numbers, but the first flight is operated by AIR NOSTRUM

Orbitz says arriving at Terminal 4, departing from Terminal 4S.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Are you on one ticket/booking or separarte tickets/bookings?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Minimum connection time at MAD T4 <> T4S is 90 mins. You are guaranteed to miss the onward flight.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:25 am

Are you sure your Air Nostrum flight arrvies into T4(main)?
Some go from the small downstairs (schengen level) of T4(S).

Where are you coming form?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Tips? Run like the wind, hope for the best and expect the worst. 55 minutes is generally insufficient time to connect, given you will also have to pass through Immigration outbound (last week took perhaps fifteen minutes to clear earlier this week), as well as go through a quick security and docs check at your departure gate. Given we do not know whether you will also change from T4 to T4S, can't say much other than it will add time - and take the lifts preferably over the escalators.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
Are you on one ticket/booking or separarte tickets/bookings?

One ticket, through Orbitz.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
Are you sure your Air Nostrum flight arrvies into T4(main)?
Some go from the small downstairs (schengen level) of T4(S).

Where are you coming form?

Coming from OPO.

I just googled the Air Nostrum flight (Iberia 8721).
Google says it arrives in Terminal 4S.

If this is so, is then there enough time to connect?

EDIT: Iberia's website lists a connection time of 30min between 4 and 4S, that cant be right!!!!
http://www.iberia.com/fly-with-iberi...madrid/#schnsc

Last edited by Gemuse; Apr 5, 2013 at 2:11 pm
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, ALL Diamond
It does look like IB8721 arrive to T4S, so 50 min should be enough to transit through T4S.

Last week coming on a LHR-MAD which arrived at T4, IB disembarked through the back door all connecting passengers to T4S and brought them there by bus. We had about 20 min delay, that might have been the reason. So I assume that if you have any slight delay they would make sure you make it to your next flight.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gemuse
...EDIT: Iberia's website lists a connection time of 30min between 4 and 4S, that cant be right!!!!
http://www.iberia.com/fly-with-iberi...madrid/#schnsc
Those are gate to gate walking times.

Official MCT for IB-IB/YW flights is 55-65 minutes, depending on the combination of T4-T4S. (for luggage, tickets, etc)
http://www.iberia.com/viajar-con-ibe...n/?language=en

If you have no delays on the inbound, your connection is doable. Perhaps the OPO flight arrives at the M gate area, lower level of T4S.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by to25sw
Last week coming on a LHR-MAD which arrived at T4, IB disembarked through the back door all connecting passengers to T4S and brought them there by bus. We had about 20 min delay, that might have been the reason.
No the delay would have had nothing to do with that.

(This applies to IB flights from LHR into T4(main) at MAD)

You were arriving from an European security screened origin (the UK), from inside the European common customs and VAT area (the UK) - the only thing was you were arriving from outside the schengen area.

T4(main) arrivals are sent up the bridges into the departure lougne to connect, or to then exit the airport if going to Madrid. This departure lougne area is inside Schengen.
As a result everyone coming off the flight needed to be schengne imigration entry checked, so it was done as you came off the plane.

However that would have resulted in thouse people connecting to non-schengen destrinations being entry checked, then exit checked again when to T4(S) upstairs. And some people needing schengen visas.

As a result, the busy connecting passengers direct from the aircraft at T4(main) to T4(S).

(BA operated flights from LHR to MAD arrive and depart from T4(S) upstairs non-schengen gates).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Originally Posted by to25sw
So I assume that if you have any slight delay they would make sure you make it to your next flight.
Unless it suits them in case the onward flight is overbooked. Happened to my family and me. We ran like the wind from our late TXL-MAD flight, arrived at the intercontinental flight's departure gate while other passengers were still boarding, but were refused to board ourselves.
Seemed like it was convenient for Iberia to assume we would never make it and use our seats to work through the waiting list.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Any recommendations on what to do if I miss the connection?

Will Iberia take care of lodging for the night?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gemuse
Any recommendations on what to do if I miss the connection?

Will Iberia take care of lodging for the night?
If you are on one ticket, as you say you are, Iberia will take care of things.
Accomodation, rebooking, potentially even rerouting, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KIXJNB
Unless it suits them in case the onward flight is overbooked. Happened to my family and me. We ran like the wind from our late TXL-MAD flight, arrived at the intercontinental flight's departure gate while other passengers were still boarding, but were refused to board ourselves.
Seemed like it was convenient for Iberia to assume we would never make it and use our seats to work through the waiting list.
This constitutes a denial of boarding as per Regulation 261/2004 that would have entitled you to denied boarding compensation (€600/person for an intercontinental flight).
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

An update:

I tried to get boarding passes for all legs in OPO, but was told this was not possible. Iberia only gave me a boarding pass for the 1st leg to MAD, told me to get passes at the transfer desk in MAD in the same terminal (4S). They were able to check my luggage in to ORD, but not to the final destination (I was connecting at ORD to another US city). So I was to collect my luggage and recheck it in at ORD. I was not sure this was possible (I had only 1hr 45min at ORD), but that was what I was told.

I got to MAD terminal 4S, 10 min late, and there was NO transfer desk. I was told by security to go to terminal 4, so of course I missed the flight. Iberia then rerouted me via LHR, by BA, and send my luggage to the proper final destination. I was not given an explanation on why I could not be given boarding passes in OPO.
There were a couple of empty seats in MAD -> LHR, and LHR->onwards was only half full. In the end, I was only 1hr30min late at the final destination than the original itin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.