Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Luggage Policy: Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Strange Luggage Policy: Advice Needed

I recently flew LHR - MAD - GIG on IB Business Plus. i generally like their C product, and at a fraction of BA's price, but much more flexibility it's a no brainer for me.

As I am soon moving to GIG permanently, I have been taking the opportunity to shift a few boxes of personal belongings every time I go on a business trip (since I won't be shipping a container) so as to save a bit on excess luggage when the big move comes next month.

I checked their website for luggage allowance, and found that Business Plus is allowed 3 pcs to S America. However, there was a link to further FF status holders allowances. On that page, I found out that Gold/Platinum/Emerald member were allowed 1 further piece. So I did what one would do, and called IB to confirm if, on that particular booking, as a BA EC Gold (OW Emerald) I would qualify for this extra piece, and I was told that this was indeed the case.

At LHR I had an old lady at check in, who was just the rudest C class check in attendant I have ever seen in all my years of flying C. Kind of Soviet-style service. She tells me to go weight my boxes myself at the industrial scale on a different concourse, then proceeds to tell me I'm not allowed the extra piece, as that benefit only applies to IB's FF program (even silver members, it transpires). But her computer says no, so I have to cough up £120 for excess luggage. She then has the nerve to make me weigh my carry on and tells me I'll have to check it and therefore pay for another bag since it weighs 14 kg and the limit is 10 kg (despite there not being any mention on carry on weight limits on thei website...). After a bit of haggling and me offering to put some of my carry on contents into my almost empty backpack, she finally lets me off the hook, and acts like sh is doing me a big favour!

Do I have an chance in hell of getting a refund on those charges knowing that:

- Since BA and IB are all part of IAG, a benefit available to an IB pax should obviously extend to a BA pax
- I called and was told I was allowed a fourth piece
- I would not otherwise have taken a 4th piece of luggage, much less have paid for it at theairport when paying ahead online costs £80
- The generally rude and insolent treatment I got (didn't ask for her name, but wonder if her name is on my booking since she checked me in)

Any advice on whether I not I should bother following up with IB customer service is greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
- Since BA and IB are all part of IAG, a benefit available to an IB pax should obviously extend to a BA pax
Not automatically, no. The FF programs are still different, and still have separate entitlements/benefits for their respective members.

I called and was told I was allowed a fourth piece
I suspect unless you have it in writing...

The generally rude and insolent treatment I got (didn't ask for her name, but wonder if her name is on my booking since she checked me in)
Well Iberia has a bit of a reputation (not witnessed personally). Of course you can complain and I'm sure they could identify her from your booking, but as for the other points..I don't think I'd bother.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
!
No, and it doesn't work the other way around either
as BA Gold (OW Emerald) I'm not allowed to bring any extra luggage when travelling IB short-haul economy, whereas IB elites can bring one extra piece
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some day in the future IB and BA may have their programs completely justified, given common ownership, but for now that is far from the case. It may appear obvious, but it is not so, unfortunately.

And though I have occasionally "enjoyed" crotchety service from ground employees with BA, it has been more common with IB over the years. Trying to complain will merely get you frustrated, IMO particularly as you were advocating for a benefit you were not entitled to. (Next time, instead of saying "oneworld Emerald" o a call to IB, say you are "BAEC Gold" so they understand you are not an "IB Plus Platino"; I suspect that's where some of the confusion stemmed from.)

Happy travels; sorry for your trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.