Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia business plus. Better than LX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Iberia business plus. Better than LX?

Hello everybody!

I need some expert advice from IB flyers.

In a couple of months, I will be flying BCN-JFK, business class. My 'natural' option would be Iberia (call it 'cultural heritage' or simple captive market, whatever )

Since I have to make a connection somewhere (bad experiencies with AA and CO so they are a straight "no", even if the fly non stop from BCN , I started looking for other options, and got very positive reviews of the new Swiss business class.

So my question would be which business class should I choose. IB business plus or Swiss business class?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Welcome to FT Unrue,

You can also fly DL nonstop BCN-JFK, though it's on a 767 with rather narrow, old-style seats in business class. Still it's not bad.

The LX flight is on an A330 with the new business class, which is quite nice. It's a 1-2-1 layout with full-flat beds and good IFE. On IB it will be an A340 with Business Plus, which has full-flat beds as well but they are the older-style angled beds that have been modified to go fully flat. On LX your feet will go into a tunnel that is actually the armrest of the person in front of you, on IB there is more room between the rows.

I sleep better on LX and if traveling alone like the privacy offered by the staggered layout and solo window seats.

I much prefer the food on IB, and think the service is pretty comparable between the two. ZRH and MAD about the same as far as transit and lounges.

So it's pretty much a toss-up, though I would normally pick LX since it's in my alliance. However, IB's home-market gouge is in full effect, and it seems that if you want to fly IB metal it will cost you a 50% premium over the AA, BA, or LX options.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanw
Welcome to FT Unrue,

You can also fly DL nonstop BCN-JFK, though it's on a 767 with rather narrow, old-style seats in business class. Still it's not bad.

The LX flight is on an A330 with the new business class, which is quite nice. It's a 1-2-1 layout with full-flat beds and good IFE. On IB it will be an A340 with Business Plus, which has full-flat beds as well but they are the older-style angled beds that have been modified to go fully flat. On LX your feet will go into a tunnel that is actually the armrest of the person in front of you, on IB there is more room between the rows.

I sleep better on LX and if traveling alone like the privacy offered by the staggered layout and solo window seats.

I much prefer the food on IB, and think the service is pretty comparable between the two. ZRH and MAD about the same as far as transit and lounges.

So it's pretty much a toss-up, though I would normally pick LX since it's in my alliance. However, IB's home-market gouge is in full effect, and it seems that if you want to fly IB metal it will cost you a 50% premium over the AA, BA, or LX options.
Thank you!

DL is not on any of my alliances (I am Star Alliance gold and One World Silver) so, taken into account the older seats they have, I would not choose them.

Actually, the extra price IB charges for their own metal was one of the reasons I started looking elsewhere. As you said, there is a 50% premium over the LX fare. Unbelievable! And that was when I thought, is it really worth it or is it just another result of the captive market IB has?

It seems the answer is pretty clear
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hello Unrue and welcome to FT!

You can fly with LX via Gva for arround 1800 euros rt and in IB for aprox 2350 euros. Actually IB is cheaper than what I though.

As my travel comes from my own dime, a saving of 550 euros is a no-brainer for me.

Having said that, I found the new Biz class seat in LX a bit "claustrophobic", but as alanw points out, for traveling alone the solo window seats in LX are a big plus.

Food I would prefer marginally IB, but I reckon it is a personal taste. Also in IB I have had some very good Rioja Reserva.

As to service, I consider LX unbeatable, but never had a bad experience with IB in the few long haul flights I have taken.

Regarding FFP, if the 550 euros are not important for you and/or your company, and by flying with IB you could achieve OW Gold, it might be a good reason to choose this alternative.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by saviox
Hello Unrue and welcome to FT!

You can fly with LX via Gva for arround 1800 euros rt and in IB for aprox 2350 euros. Actually IB is cheaper than what I though.

As my travel comes from my own dime, a saving of 550 euros is a no-brainer for me.

Having said that, I found the new Biz class seat in LX a bit "claustrophobic", but as alanw points out, for traveling alone the solo window seats in LX are a big plus.

Food I would prefer marginally IB, but I reckon it is a personal taste. Also in IB I have had some very good Rioja Reserva.

As to service, I consider LX unbeatable, but never had a bad experience with IB in the few long haul flights I have taken.

Regarding FFP, if the 550 euros are not important for you and/or your company, and by flying with IB you could achieve OW Gold, it might be a good reason to choose this alternative.
By far the best in Europe!!!^

I used to fly them A LOT between Brazil and Asia... but I should be moving my business to SQ now.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Cheaper, better service, better seat, better wines, better transit airport....and *A. I would go for LX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.