Guide to flying Iberia

Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by ninim2200
I was wondering if anyone knows why would an award ticket on iberia cost more avios for SFO-Madrid than LAX-Madrid, even though the SFO route is a little shorter?
Could it be a function of “dynamic” marketing.
My SFO-MAD award was 51K Avios and when I looked at LAX - MAD award for same period it was 63K Avios
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili

Could it be a function of “dynamic” marketing.
My SFO-MAD award was 51K Avios and when I looked at LAX - MAD award for same period it was 63K Avios
You probably picked different days for SFO ( off Peak) vs LAX ( Peak), if you check the same date you will see what i am talking about, (for example June 3rd )
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
LAX was historically given band 6 or 7, can't remember which making it the same as ORD (similar for MEX) even though it is technically in the next band.

I'm guessing it's just a grandfathered in curiosity and SFO was given the "proper" band pricing.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
LAX was historically given band 6 or 7, can't remember which making it the same as ORD (similar for MEX) even though it is technically in the next band.

I'm guessing it's just a grandfathered in curiosity and SFO was given the "proper" band pricing.
Thank you, this makes sense.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: QF WP
I’m at Barcelona airport and have belatedly discovered that i seem to have accidentally booked HBO (not sure how that one passed me by...). Went online and can’t find a way to add baggage, also don’t seem to be able to take an extra bag for free as OWS? Help!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:33 am

Unless you are flying Level or BA, you should be able to take a bag for free as a Sapphire.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Unless you are flying Level or BA, you should be able to take a bag for free as a Sapphire.
panic over! I managed 2 free (hurrah!)
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yllanes
I have LAX-LHR as part of my trip. It was booked via Iberia with an Iberia flight number. However, it's operated by BA. Will my Sapphire status still allow me to check a bag for free?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:15 pm

No. If it is a BA flight status does not give you free checked bags on a HBO ticket, even if marketed by IB.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:20 pm

Last time I flew HBO on an Iberia ticket and BA metal, they did not charge me for my checked bag at the counter, and I checked my second bag at the gate also for free. I think it was just a mistake but who knows.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton Gold
Is there a way to search Iberia award availability on Iberia's website without miles in the account? I am searching for flights and accurate costs and will be transferring UR when the perfect flight pops up.

Also, can I book partners through the Iberia site or call center using Iberia points rather then BA?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Sorry if this has been addressed, but I looked back several pages and didn't see it. Does anyone see any value in booking the points & cash option vs. the points & (smaller) fee option? I only have 1,000 IB miles (I did that to enable transfers from SO's Amex account) so I'm not talking about already earned avios. If I book JFK-MAD (Jun '20) with all avios, it comes out to 15˘/avios but if I do the avios/cash option it's 70˘/avios value based on buying the ticket out right. Of course, Amex MR's are worth even more than avios but i'm not going to factor that in. I'm not swimming in MR's either...if I book all avios I'll use the majority of my MR points just going over. What say ya'll?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:23 am

Yes there can be good opportunities this way. Just figure the price per point that IB is basically selling to you.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
I have two flights tomorrow on Iberia, one from GRX-MAD, and the other from MAD-NYC. On the GRX-MAD route, I was able to select any seat for free when I checked-in online, but for the MAD-NYC leg it seems like I have to pay if I want to change from my randomly assigned seat. Is there a way to select a seat for free on long-haul, or does Iberia always charge?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by skydelt
I have two flights tomorrow on Iberia, one from GRX-MAD, and the other from MAD-NYC. On the GRX-MAD route, I was able to select any seat for free when I checked-in online, but for the MAD-NYC leg it seems like I have to pay if I want to change from my randomly assigned seat. Is there a way to select a seat for free on long-haul, or does Iberia always charge?
It depends on your status and what type of economy fare you have for each leg.

Sounds like a basic economy for the long haul which won't allow it without any accompanying status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.