Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to flying Iberia

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Newbie to IB with an issue.
My flights are from SFO to BCN with IB Avios in May 2020. I could get SFO-MAD but no flights to BCN were showing when I booked 2 weeks ago (apparently a known problem about MAD-BCN segment not showing up on tome).

As there are only 2 J awards (and I needed 2) I decided to book the SFO-MAD segment and then book the other segment later. I now have the second segment but obviously they are under 2 different PNRs and speaking to IB agent it doesn't seem like they can link the 2 flights so that I don't have to pick up my luggage and recheck in Madrid.
Is that correct? It would seem reasonable to me that they should be able to link them as both flights are on IB with IB PNRs - not unlike a connecting flight with a different flight number (or even a different airline in the same alliance).
Could this maybe be accomplished at check=in at SFO?
TIA.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Newbie to IB with an issue.
My flights are from SFO to BCN with IB Avios in May 2020. I could get SFO-MAD but no flights to BCN were showing when I booked 2 weeks ago (apparently a known problem about MAD-BCN segment not showing up on tome).

As there are only 2 J awards (and I needed 2) I decided to book the SFO-MAD segment and then book the other segment later. I now have the second segment but obviously they are under 2 different PNRs and speaking to IB agent it doesn't seem like they can link the 2 flights so that I don't have to pick up my luggage and recheck in Madrid.
Is that correct? It would seem reasonable to me that they should be able to link them as both flights are on IB with IB PNRs - not unlike a connecting flight with a different flight number (or even a different airline in the same alliance).
Could this maybe be accomplished at check=in at SFO?
TIA.
IB will not link the PNRs and they are separate tickets now.

What you should have done was call in and ask to have the tickets changed and paid the change fee. Now your options are to either continue with the risk or cancel the MAD-BCN segment and then call in and have them change your SFO-MAD ticket and pay the change fee twice. All in all, not that expensive of a mistake IMO.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
Hi Iberia experts,

What can I expect for basic fare for domestic flights with OneWorld Sapphire status?
I wish I can get free one checked bag and seat selection.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You can.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
IB will not link the PNRs and they are separate tickets now.

What you should have done was call in and ask to have the tickets changed and paid the change fee. Now your options are to either continue with the risk or cancel the MAD-BCN segment and then call in and have them change your SFO-MAD ticket and pay the change fee twice. All in all, not that expensive of a mistake IMO.
Thank you. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as it may appear. The 2 awards are from 2 separate accounts (one mine and one from my DW). I don’t mind paying the change fees but how can I be sure that if the MAD-BCN segment is cancelled I will be able to rebook it as an award in J as only 2 seats were released.
My limited experience in communicating with IB staff is not very positive.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC

Thank you. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as it may appear. The 2 awards are from 2 separate accounts (one mine and one from my DW). I don’t mind paying the change fees but how can I be sure that if the MAD-BCN segment is cancelled I will be able to rebook it as an award in J as only 2 seats were released.
My limited experience in communicating with IB staff is not very positive.
Well, the seats will be released but I would also advise against booking J for MAD-BCN as I'm not sure you're aware, there's really no advantage to European short haul J other than a blocked middle seat, lounge access and a meal. Literally the same exact seat as economy. Considering you'll have lounge access from the SFO-MAD segment, and the lounge food is alright, I'd say it's definitely not worth it. Exit row seats give you far more leg room than business class anyway.

If you're on the west coast, save the Avios for AS flights to Hawaii booked through BA
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Well, the seats will be released but I would also advise against booking J for MAD-BCN as I'm not sure you're aware, there's really no advantage to European short haul J other than a blocked middle seat, lounge access and a meal. Literally the same exact seat as economy. Considering you'll have lounge access from the SFO-MAD segment, and the lounge food is alright, I'd say it's definitely not worth it. Exit row seats give you far more leg room than business class anyway.

If you're on the west coast, save the Avios for AS flights to Hawaii booked through BA
Thank you for the advice. I am aware of European business class seats.
The award is for 2 people who are not elite and one is plus size - hence the lounge access for a potentially long layover and extra hip room will be appreciated by them (as well as faster check-in, if needed, and shorter security line?)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lounge access is granted based on the inbound Business ticket. Check-in for the Puente Aéreo is as fast as can be, ditto for security.

Extra hip room - the seats are the same size in both J and Y, but J has the advantage of a blocked middle.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:46 am

Hi,

I'm flying from MAD-MIA on Monday and have just received this email from Iberia -

New US entry requirements from 24 April 2018. In view of the security measures now demanded by the USA, you must arrive at the airport four hours before the departure of your flight to allow enough time to go through the security controls and reach the boarding gate

Four hours seems excessive - is it really necessary?

Thanks

Tim
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
The lounge access is granted based on the inbound Business ticket. Check-in for the Puente Aéreo is as fast as can be, ditto for security.

Extra hip room - the seats are the same size in both J and Y, but J has the advantage of a blocked middle.
That’s interesting - most airlines give lounge access based on departing rather than arriving flights.
As for hip room - if the middle seat is empty and the arm rest is lifted than extra hip room is accomplished.
As for Puente Aereo - can an existing award ticket on IB MAD-BCN be changed into a Puente Aereo ticket (for a change fee)?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
Originally Posted by LandMiler
What can I expect for basic fare for domestic flights with OneWorld Sapphire status?
I wish I can get free one checked bag and seat selection.
Originally Posted by BA6501
You can.
Thank you BA6501.
During the booking process, I couldn't select a seat and add a checked bag.
OLCI allows me a free seat selection but no free additional bag.
I recheck OneWorld benefit but IB domestic flight is not an exception of free +1 policy.
IB counter agent will accept one checked bag for free?

Last edited by LandMiler; Jun 7, 2019 at 4:50 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The booking process does not validate your status - it's done after booking (make a note of the reference, go to iberia.com and go to manage my booking that way).

OLCI stopped showing the additional bag for status holders in the 'free allowance' a couple of months ago. You'll be fine at the airport, though.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s interesting - most airlines give lounge access based on departing rather than arriving flights.
As for hip room - if the middle seat is empty and the arm rest is lifted than extra hip room is accomplished.
As for Puente Aereo - can an existing award ticket on IB MAD-BCN be changed into a Puente Aereo ticket (for a change fee)?
It's a oneworld rule, from their website:

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The definition of 'connecting flight' depends who you ask - you're not on the same booking, so technically you're not connecting... but you'd normally be fine.

Re hip room, make sure you don't select the first row as you cannot lift the armrests there.

Re changing the ticket to a Puente Aéreo one, which would allow you jump on the next available flight (handy in case you miss your connection), I'm not sure you can simply swap to that type of ticket but would need to cancel and rebook. Changing or cancelling a ticket costs the same, though. Note that I'm not sure whether you can buy a Business Puente Aéreo redemption.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:30 pm

BA6501 - thank you for all your excellent advice.
BA6501 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:16 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows why would an award ticket on iberia cost more avios for SFO-Madrid than LAX-Madrid, even though the SFO route is a little shorter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.