Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to flying Iberia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Ibera does fly SFO to MAD in summer schedule, they started last year. Also, I do believe you can search for availability with no avios in your account.

Regardless, you will want to have some activity in your account to activate it and that will allow you to transfer between BA and IB. If you have BA avios, it would be smarter to transfer what you can from there first to save the UR points which are more flexible.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
You should be able to search for availability even though there are no Avios on your account. Availability hasn't opened for early May 2020... and in fact SFO-MAD is a seasonal flight that only operates during the summer season. I can't remember when IB loaded the flights on their site for the current S19 season - and it is not certain they will return in 2020 (it is likely though). And IB has only 2 seats available for Avios in Business, on each flight. Don't expect more.

Anyway, for the eastbound flight, you may consider flying LEVEL non stop from Barcelona to San Francisco. They don't offer business class, but do Premium Economy (it depends whether you value or not a bed on a daylight flight). Also bookable through IbPlus.

Early May can be peak season... 1st of May is labour day in Spain and a national public holiday. Key days around this date are gonna be peak days (this year the 5/5 is peak because its the Sunday after the 1, which is a Thursday, so many Spaniards do "puente", where they take Friday off and have a long weekend/break: that's why the 1 and 5 are peak this year. I suspect for 2020, the 1st and the 3rd are gonna be peak.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:44 am

Yeah, on top of the peak dates thing, the 15th is a public holiday in Madrid so the weekend around the 15th is also likely to be a peak date.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Thank you both.
How many Avios for SFO-BCN in J?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Iberia newbie here so please be gentle.
I have flown on Iberia before but it was always with AA miles or BA Avios. I just joined Iberia Plus and I am planning a trip from SFO to BCN next year in J. Have no Avios but have lots of Chase UR points that convert to Iberia Avios.
Not having any Avios, I cannot either look for award availability nor find out how many Avios it would take to fly in J SFO-MAD-BCN. It would be early May 2020 - I don’t believe it is peak season (except 5/5).
Also, I have read that Iberia will start flying from SFO to MAD. Is this true and if so, when?
All help is appreciated.
You can certainly search for lowest-tier IB award availability on aa.com. If nothing shows up there, it's possible that IB itself will have availability at different redemption levels.

But don't expect to see May, 2020, availability until later this year.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Also, I do believe you can search for availability with no avios in your account.

I don't think so.
When I search I get the message - "You do not have enough Avios to continue with the booking. If you want, you can select a more economical fare for your flight or change the flight dates in order to make your purchase with the Avios you have available".
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:45 am

Thank you both.
I can't find a real award chart on IB anymore, but someone posted it here:
https://pointstobemade.boardingarea....-reward-chart/ If it's 5501-6500 miles, then it would be 51k each way off-peak.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I can't find a real award chart on IB anymore, but someone posted it here:
https://pointstobemade.boardingarea....-reward-chart/ If it's 5501-6500 miles, then it would be 51k each way off-peak.
Thank you - that is very helpful. When are awards posted - is it like AA at T-331 or BA?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I believe more like 360 days.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Thank you so much for that. I am still unable to find any reference on the IB website or in my booking details. Very strange.
Well, I am more confused than ever, Talked to an IB rep today on an unrelated matter but asked about luggage allowance on my Biz class flights, 1 NRT-MAD, 1 MAD-ORD. He told me that the weight limit on both is 23 kgs ea piece regardless of cabin class, but the Japan flight allows for 3 pieces, while the T/A leg only for 2 at 23 kgs. Funny, he said not to worry, "we" take care of you. Whatever that means.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Feb 8, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Thank you both.
I'm very new at checking awards for this airline yet I have found no J class avail for any close in (next 3 weeks) bookings NYC-MAD/BCN or LAX -MAD/BCN. Am I doing something wrong?

Also is there a way to search only bus class and higher like on other airline search engines?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan
I'm very new at checking awards for this airline yet I have found no J class avail for any close in (next 3 weeks) bookings NYC-MAD/BCN or LAX -MAD/BCN. Am I doing something wrong?

Also is there a way to search only bus class and higher like on other airline search engines?
They normally release a couple of seats in J, odds are they already sold out all awards in J in the next few months.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:00 pm

If you search to VLC sometimes there is some married availability but the promotion last year really destroyed US availability for awhile.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I'm looking to book an award PMI-LIS under the Blue Class category. I don't see any mention if seat selection is included. Any idea if it is? And if so, is it available after I book or within a certain time frame of the departure?
Thanks!!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
Hi Iberia & MAD airport experts,

I booked SN3729(BRU-MAD 1800-2025, arrives T2) and want to connect to IB516 (MAD-LCG 2210-2325, departs T4) on separate tickets. As both BRU and LCG are in the Schengen area, all I need to do is pick-up my luggage and move from T2 to T4.

FlightAware shows SN3729 tends to delay and arrive around 2040~2115. Is 60min enough time to make this connection? If not enough, carrying-on everything with me not to check bags will make the difference?

Thanks!

Last edited by LandMiler; Apr 20, 2019 at 12:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.