Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Is 3 hours enough for a connection on Iberia/Spanair?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards

I have given myself a window of 3 hours on connecting flights in MAD Brajas.

Arriving on LH from Milan and connecting to IB to Alicante T2 to T4. Is 3 hours enough for that? I read that Lufthansa is far more reliable than Iberia, so hoping that I won't get screwed with weather delays out of MXP.

Similarly I have allowed for a 4 hour connection time between a Spanair flight from Alicante to BCN going onward AA to JFK. Is that enough of a connection time on an international leg? Again I read that south spain and BCN in particular are not as delay prone as other european airports. Am I way off on that?

thanks,
--Russ

PS. should I book some cheaper easyJet flights as back up, or if weather delays arise I'm SOL on any airline?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:58 am

Programs: MUCCI
Firstly, I think you have some very strange perceptions about the nature of 'delays' and also risk mitigation factors.

Additionally, you don't mention at all your situation with regard to luggage - something which will make it very hard to say. If not through ticketed, then don't expect your luggage to be through checked.

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
I have given myself a window of 3 hours on connecting flights in MAD Brajas.

Arriving on LH from Milan and connecting to IB to Alicante T2 to T4. Is 3 hours enough for that? I read that Lufthansa is far more reliable than Iberia, so hoping that I won't get screwed with weather delays out of MXP.
I don't know why you think LH will be less prone to delay than IB?

Further, if the only reason you are flying LH is because of fear of delay then you are mad to take a LH/IB change at MAD ahead of an IB/IB change - even if the IB wouldn't be through ticketed.

T4 is separate from the other terminals, changing is not that quick.

Where as, if you had an IB flight then another IB flight, not only would you already be at T4, but they would possibly look sympathetically on you if anything went wrong.

Similarly I have allowed for a 4 hour connection time between a Spanair flight from Alicante to BCN going onward AA to JFK. Is that enough of a connection time on an international leg?
I'd say it ought to be ok, but with luggage to recheck it would be on the limit of what I would be comfortable with - unless I had travel insurance than I *knew* would cover me.

Again I read that south spain and BCN in particular are not as delay prone as other european airports. Am I way off on that?
Honestly? I find this statement bizarre!
I wouldn't say European airports are 'delay prone'.

PS. should I book some cheaper easyJet flights as back up, or if weather delays arise I'm SOL on any airline?
What does SOL mean?

Personally, I'd always look for a direct flight or a (multiple) connecting flight.
If not, for your MAD connection, I'd try to stay with the same alliance and/also terminal.

---------

Question:
In both these journeys, will you have luggage?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I have to agree with David-A on all points. I can't imagine that LH is any more or less "delay prone" than IB. And changing terminals in MAD is a huge PITA, especially if you're only doing it because you're afraid your IB flight might be late.

In BCN, four hours is enough time to arrive, get your bags, go into town, have something to eat, come back to the airport, check in, and make your next flight.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
I remember watching a BBC report that claimed Iberia has the worst on-time performance record in Europe, hence my assumption. If they're just as delay prone as Lufthansa, no biggie.

I am traveling light, no checked luggage.

I have been to Barajas before and know how long it takes to get from T1-2-3 to T4. Just wanted to get an opinion if 3 hours is pushing it in January.

I guess my biggest challenge will be weather in Milan. (leaving)

thanks!
--Russ
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
SOL = S*** outta luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.