Iberia flight cancelled

Old Feb 13, 10, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Question Iberia flight cancelled

My Spain domestic flight scheduled for the beginning of June has been cancelled by Iberia. They want me to call their reservations department. They do have later flights still on their schedule. There is another airline now offering an earlier flight & at a cheaper fare.
Can the Iberia non-refundable ticket be cancelled & refunded since they eliminated the previously scheduled & booked flight?
Old Feb 13, 10, 11:08 am
Alt

Programs: BD (RIP); BA
yes. ask for a full refund as the later flights are unsuitable for you.

Old Feb 13, 10, 6:12 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
yes, this happened to me and my 4 other passangers on a Boston to Barcelona roundtrip flight. They moved the return flight @ 5 hours sooner & I found cheaper airfaire on Northwest. They refunded the amount in full & I saved $300 per person !
Old Feb 14, 10, 11:28 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Yes, no problem. Just tell them that none of the new flights suit you and they will refund the full amount.
Old Feb 18, 10, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Question Best action to take?

Well shortly after reading these recommendations, I find the fares presently offered have doubled! I assume that when I call Iberia that they will give me a choice of alternate flights.
My flight from EWR arrives MAD T1 at 10:05am. The next possible? Iberia T4 departure is at 12:05pm. The flight I am booked on (now cancelled) was to leave at 1:45.
The following scheduled flight is at 3:55pm.

My concern is if I get changed to the 12:05 departure & miss it because of a late MAD arrival. Would Iberia "protect" me on their later flight?
I believe that if I select the later flight but get to Iberia early, they would not put me on their earlier flight unless I paid more $$ (assume there's an earlier flight stand-by charge).

Any suggestions? I will have carry-on baggage only.
Old Feb 19, 10, 12:55 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler View Post
My flight from EWR arrives MAD T1 at 10:05am. The next possible? Iberia T4 departure is at 12:05pm. The flight I am booked on (now cancelled) was to leave at 1:45.
My concern is if I get changed to the 12:05 departure & miss it because of a late MAD arrival. Would Iberia "protect" me on their later flight?
Ok, from the description and routing I assume you have two different tickets, CO to MAD and IB from MAD to somewhere else. In this case IB has no obligation and will most definitely not protect you if your inbound is late. Unless you have a changeable ticket, then it's a whole different matter of course. The two hour connection is tight as T1 and T4 are pretty far apart and you still need to pass immigration and customs at T1, not to mention the risk of any delays.

Don't do it, settle for the later one to ease your nerves. Since you will have pelnty of time, you could always take the metro from the airport to the city for a while - it costs next to nothing and gets you there in 45 minutes directly from the terminals. Have a relaxed lunch, stretch your legs a bit after your TA flight etc.

Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler View Post
I believe that if I select the later flight but get to Iberia early, they would not put me on their earlier flight unless I paid more $$ (assume there's an earlier flight stand-by charge).
No, there's no such thing as a stand-by charge with European airlines. The only official way you could get on the earlier flight is that you have a changeable (read: more expensive) ticket and get it changed to that flight and pay any change fee and fare difference if applicable. Unofficially agents can do it, but usually need a good reason for doing so like the later flight being massively delayed, overbooked or anything like that. It doesn't hurt to be polite and ask anyway, but odds are slim.

What is your route? Have you checked LCC alternatives, there are quite a few of those now on the Spanish domestic market and the big advantage for most of them is that they depart from the old terminal complex (T1/2/3) which saves you the hassle of going to the far away (albeit very impressive) T4.