Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you cant solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of Consumer Affairs and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

Trying to redeem a BRG voucher. Best available rate on hotel web site is $116. Hotels.com offers $103. This would be a meritorious BRG (though who knows whether the BRG staff would approve it). But I don't want to file a new BRG for an ordinary paid stay. Rather, I want to redeem a BRG voucher. Of course I can use the BRG voucher on the $116 rate to bring it to $66... but really I'd prefer to use the voucher on the $103 rate, which is fairly the "best" rate in the market.

Is there a way to apply a BRG voucher to a stay with rate reduced by BRG? Feels like no: Have to book a regular rate (with no BRG voucher code) to file a BRG, and the result of a successful BRG is to reduce the rate. Could not later apply a BRG voucher code because the rebook process would rebook at prevailing rates, not at a rate manually adjusted by BRG staff.

Real catch-22! BRG voucher only usable on rates that are themselves not the best.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bedelman

Real catch-22! BRG voucher only usable on rates that are themselves not the best.
Not at all. BRG the hotels.com rate (usually a slam dunk) and get another voucher for $50. If you are staying so infrequently at Hyatt hotels such that you never manage to use a $50 voucher, then perhaps you shouldn't bother playing the game...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Not at all. BRG the hotels.com rate (usually a slam dunk) and get another voucher for $50. If you are staying so infrequently at Hyatt hotels such that you never manage to use a $50 voucher, then perhaps you shouldn't bother playing the game...
I agree that Hotels.com has been a slam dunk for me -- lower rates than Hyatt.com 100% of the time for the property I've been staying at recently. This means I have plenty of BRG vouchers... and now I want to use them. But it feels suboptimal to use a BRG voucher on a night that could be cheaper if booked through another tool.

If you find Hotels.com a slam-dunk -- if you, like me, are super good at earning them -- then isn't there a puzzle about when and how to use them? If ever $50 BRG voucher requires accepting a rate that's $10 higher, or $20 higher for that matter, then the $50 voucher is actually only worth $30-$40.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Curious if anyone can give me some direction on a unique situation.

Looking to book 4 nights at a Hyatt resort that is showing cheaper on agoda. The Hyatt is having a 3rd night free promotion. If I use the BRG claim would the rate be applied to each night (with the 3rd night showing $0) or will it just reflect in the total and disregard the 3rd night free promotion. I intend to use this in conjunction with the Prestige 4th night free as well. Any experiences?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Curious if anyone can give me some direction on a unique situation.

Looking to book 4 nights at a Hyatt resort that is showing cheaper on agoda. The Hyatt is having a 3rd night free promotion. If I use the BRG claim would the rate be applied to each night (with the 3rd night showing $0) or will it just reflect in the total and disregard the 3rd night free promotion. I intend to use this in conjunction with the Prestige 4th night free as well. Any experiences?
Agoda will quite likely be rejected. (and that's assuming that you've clicked all the way through and noticed the added fees that Agoda uses to game the aggregators to appear cheaper...)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Agoda will quite likely be rejected. (and that's assuming that you've clicked all the way through and noticed the added fees that Agoda uses to game the aggregators to appear cheaper...)
I'm still seeing Agoda as about $75 cheaper (total) even with incorporating all the fees after clicking all the way through. I'm guessing that Hyatt looks at the total price when matching the BRG rate?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
My Hotels.com BRG was denied, they replied with the below.

Please be advised that we offer rates as tax-inclusive for the Andaz Liverpool Street and compare the third party rates after taxes and associated fees are calculated into their total.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by faboi0us
My Hotels.com BRG was denied, they replied with the below.

Please be advised that we offer rates as tax-inclusive for the Andaz Liverpool Street and compare the third party rates after taxes and associated fees are calculated into their total.
Makes sense. People with hotels.com set to "USA" will see a pre-tax rate, with the taxes added on later in the booking process.

It's rare for there to be a difference between OTAs in the Expedia empire (hotels.com, etc.) and the official rates. But if you are convinced that you have found an all-in lower rate, re-submit...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:00 pm

I just got a denial because the hotels.com cancellation was three days and on Hyatts website its seven. You have to be kidding me.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The FAQs have been updated. I think the only change is that Thompson Hotels are excluded from the guarantee.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
I am excited to hear of your desire to stay with us and your interest in our Best Rate Guarantee program. After researching, I was unable to validate your submission based on our Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions. The Member Advance Rate is exclusive to members and cannot be booked by those potential guests who are not members of the World of Hyatt. For a claim to be considered for Best Rate Guarantee the rates to be compared must be public rates available for all guests to book without requirements; therefore, the claim is invalid.
Are they serious?

----
so I just called the hotel directly to cancel the reservation but just asked to see if they would price match and they said okay. Not getting the credit voucher, but whatever..

Last edited by VoiD; Apr 7, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:40 pm

That is outrageous but sadly consistent with my experience using Hyatt BRG.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by beastieb
I just got a denial because the hotels.com cancellation was three days and on Hyatts website its seven. You have to be kidding me.
Yes, it's standard that they'll deny for better terms. They say the terms must be identical.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Yes, it's standard that they'll deny for better terms. They say the terms must be identical.
I was denied as OTA shows photo with two twin beds even though description says one king bed which I booked. Getting Hyatt BRG approval is like applying for Russian Visa, every detail must match exactly. What you consider as minutiae will throw the whole thing out.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Best rate is back to 20% or 5k points.
And membership sites are allowed now.
see https://www.hyatt.com/info/best-rate-guarantee/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.