Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Viks
Fraud reported to Nebraska's Attorney General. If you receive an absurd response like I did, I encourage you to do the same. This is beyond repulsive for a company to behave like that.
Is Hyatt concerned by Nebraska's legislation ? I thought they created their own world ("World of Hyatt") so that way they can apply their own laws ?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Originally Posted by danger
Well done.

Do you have a link where others can do the same?
https://protectthegoodlife.nebraska....umer-complaint

I used this Hyatt's address:
9805 Q Street
Omaha, Nebraska, 68127
USA

Also included the agent's name who lied to me and wrote all that absurd nonsense.

Cancelled my future Hyatt bookings (was considering giving them a try, the location was better). Will continue staying at Marriott instead.

Last edited by Viks; Mar 27, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
requested 2 BRG during the weekend:

www.getaroom.com rejected > no instant confirmation. I used the side a lot in the past. But no longer possible I gues..

www.ba.com rejected > different cancellation policy. First time I used BA for a BRG.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I was just told that the Hyatt Member Rate is not eligible for a BRG, so I need to book the higher Hyatt Daily Rate and then resubmit my request. I swear they just make stuff up now. I'll probably get a response denying my new claim because I didn't book the lowest available rate.
well here's a new one for me: i just had this happen, but the denial was because of the reverse.

i booked the hyatt daily rate ($159) and they denied my price match from expedia ($143.10) because the hyatt member rate was $143.10.

so pretty much you can't brg the member rate, but they can use it to deny your claim. what a crock of......

ps. if this is old news and i missed something, apologies. i searched for a good 30 minutes prior to submitting the claim to see if the member rate was ineligible.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ahcjar103
well here's a new one for me: i just had this happen, but the denial was because of the reverse.

i booked the hyatt daily rate ($159) and they denied my price match from expedia ($143.10) because the hyatt member rate was $143.10.

so pretty much you can't brg the member rate, but they can use it to deny your claim. what a crock of......

ps. if this is old news and i missed something, apologies. i searched for a good 30 minutes prior to submitting the claim to see if the member rate was ineligible.
This is wrong and you should get it reversed. The member rate is not publicly available so shouldn't be considered for the same reasons a non-publicly available rate from a competitor is not valid.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by danger
This is wrong and you should get it reversed. The member rate is not publicly available so shouldn't be considered for the same reasons a non-publicly available rate from a competitor is not valid.
no dice. i asked for an explanation and here is what i received. this has now been confirmed by hyatt.
________

Thank you for your email and your interest in our Best Rate Guarantee program, it is my pleasure to assist you. In regards to your inquiry, per the Best Rate Guarantee Terms and Conditions, you must reserve the lowest comparable rate to the competing rate found on the internet, including guarantee and cancel policy. Depending on the dates and also the guarantee and cancellation policy of the competing rate, this could be our hyatt daily rate, member discount, or advanced purchase rate. I hope this information is helpful to you and clarifies your inquiry.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

________

my booking was at the hyatt daily rate (no advance purchase rate was available) and had the same guarantee and cancellation terms. the only lower rate was the hyatt member rate.

so while we as guests cannot book and use hyatt member rates or use comp rates from third-party sites that require a membership (even free) as part of a brg, hyatt can use their own member-only rate - that requires you to sign-up or have a woh membership - to deny a claim.

this is extremely bad policy from hyatt.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hyatt's BRG is a charade (and that's really a kind word for what they're doing).

Check out the SPG and Marriott equivalent threads. They actually honor their guaranties.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
no dice. i asked for an explanation and here is what i received. this has now been confirmed by hyatt.
________

Thank you for your email and your interest in our Best Rate Guarantee program, it is my pleasure to assist you. In regards to your inquiry, per the Best Rate Guarantee Terms and Conditions, you must reserve the lowest comparable rate to the competing rate found on the internet, including guarantee and cancel policy. Depending on the dates and also the guarantee and cancellation policy of the competing rate, this could be our hyatt daily rate, member discount, or advanced purchase rate. I hope this information is helpful to you and clarifies your inquiry.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

________

my booking was at the hyatt daily rate (no advance purchase rate was available) and had the same guarantee and cancellation terms. the only lower rate was the hyatt member rate.

so while we as guests cannot book and use hyatt member rates or use comp rates from third-party sites that require a membership (even free) as part of a brg, hyatt can use their own member-only rate - that requires you to sign-up or have a woh membership - to deny a claim.

Truly amazing.

Submit a claim without your WOH number in the claim form or the reservation.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:35 am

Had a claim yesterday that was denied and took 2 phone calls and 4 reps including a supervisor to get it honored. Hyatt AP was 259, Hyatt Member rate was 256, Priceline rate was 188 and was AP terms. I booked Member rate and sent in shot of Priceline rate. In the comments, I wrote that I had been told by Hyatt before I had to book the cheapest rate to compare, but if they needed to change my reservation to AP terms to honor it, they could, because both ways the claim was valid.

They first sent back that the rates were the same...so I called...and then they said, we can't read the screenshot, to which I said...did you zoom in at all? A few seconds later, ok I see it...now, your rates are different cancel policies. I explained THEY told me to book the Member rate since it was cheaper. 20 minute hold while she checks...disconnected. I call back...I explain everything to new rep...long hold again...sorry no, the rates are the same. I repeat the first few steps...she agrees but says she cannot help. I ask for supervisor...long hold...talk to supervisor who says..."if you want, I can honor it but I have to change your rate to AP terms." I tell her, can you read the comments I typed in the details section of my original claim? She says yes, hold on...comes back and says, I see you wrote exactly that already.

We have a good laugh and talk about the need for more training and she explains she has been doing BRG for a LONG time and we reminisce over the good ole days when they did BRG on phone. She honors the claim and changes to BRG and confirms as a senior BRG supervisor...you MUST book the identical cancel terms, NOT the cheapest rate. She says if you have refundable rate A and cheaper AP rate B, and you are claiming against 3rd party refundable rate A, you book the more expensive refundable Hyatt rate to claim, NOT the cheaper AP rate.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by antonius66
She honors the claim and changes to BRG and confirms as a senior BRG supervisor...you MUST book the identical cancel terms, NOT the cheapest rate. She says if you have refundable rate A and cheaper AP rate B, and you are claiming against 3rd party refundable rate A, you book the more expensive refundable Hyatt rate to claim, NOT the cheaper AP rate.
The Hyatt BRG T&Cs quoted in the wiki are from mid-March 2016:

When multiple publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rates for the same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay are available through a Hyatt website you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee. To be eligible, you must submit your claim request within 24 hours of both booking on Hyatt.com and finding the Competing Rate.
However, in mid-April 2016, Hyatt made a slight change to the wording:

When multiple publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rates for the same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay, same length of stay are available through a Hyatt website you must reserve the lowest comparable rate to the Competing Rate found on the internet (including guarantee and cancel policy) to be eligible for Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee. To be eligible, you must submit your claim request within 24 hours of both booking on Hyatt.com and finding the Competing Rate.
I've edited the wiki to reflect the current wording of the T&Cs.

This issue was covered by lucky9876coins on his blog at the time: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c.../15/hyatt-brg/

So the supervisor's advice is correct. If you find a lower refundable rate on a third-party website, you would need to book the lowest refundable rate on Hyatt.com before submitting a BRG claim.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Hyatt's BRG program is totally a scam.

I had no stay with them this year because of this.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:38 am

An update on a BRG claim that I have recently submitted...

Booking the room on the competing website will require payment to be charged to the credit card immediately, but can be cancelled for free.

The rate on hyatt.com can also be cancelled without penalties, but payment is taken only upon check-out at the hotel.

The claim was rejected. What kind of logic is that?

Last edited by eriond; May 4, 2017 at 9:29 am
Old May 15, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by eriond
An update on a BRG claim that I have recently submitted...

Booking the room on the competing website will require payment to be charged to the credit card immediately, but can be cancelled for free.

The rate on hyatt.com can also be cancelled without penalties, but payment is taken only upon check-out at the hotel.

The claim was rejected. What kind of logic is that?
Yeah I had the same last night. Two different sites with cancellable rate, same room etc but payment is taken right away instead of upon check in. The lower rate was huge as well, almost 200usd lower rate than Hyatt's. But they denied my two different claims.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee can be so frustrating, but it's so satisfying when you win.

For a 7-night stay at the Grand Hyatt New York in August, we found a lower, non-refundable rate on Booking.com. I booked the lowest refundable rate, asking them to change it to their non-refundable rate when the BRG was approved. Hyatt's lowest non-refundable rate was a 5th Night Free promo. I was, of course, denied, as the booking.com rate did not have the 5th night free (even though their nightly rate was lower than Hyatt's average nightly rate with the 5th Night Free promo).

So -- I made another reservation, asking them to use the Advance Purchase rate on Hyatt, a higher non-refundable rate, and resubmitted my claim. Denied again. Told me to book the 5th night free rate, which was denied the first time.

"Based on the current rates offered, if you change your reservation to the 5th Night Free offer, your claim would be valid. That rate is currently the lowest rate offered on Hyatt.com and it is a full prepaid-non refundable rate which is the same terms offered on booking.com. Once you have made this change and emailed back I would have to make sure the rates are still the same on both sites and re-validate this claim. If you are interested in changing your reservation using the full prepay-non refundable booking terms, please let me know as soon as possible to ensure that the rates offered on either site are still the same."

I called Hyatt, as I didn't want to make a non-refundable booking, and asked the agent to take care of it for me over the phone. She said she wasn't able to, and told me I'd have to reserve the non-refundable room and make another claim. I asked her about getting a refund if my claim is denied again, and she said I'd be stuck with it. So I asked for a manager, who was terrific. She said the original woman I spoke to didn't know she could have taken care of it, as I was already told my claim would be valid if I switched to the 5th Night Free rate. She adjusted the price, and kept the terms (not pre-paid, 48 hour cancellation) of my original booking made a month ago.

Hyatt Advance Purchase: $243/night
Hyatt 5th night offer: $227/night
Booking.com: $225.67/night
BRG rate: $180.54/night
Old May 19, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
So frustrating Ctrip is always lower everytime I book in Asia. Hyatt just won't budge Ctrip. I could understand if it was once in an while and they are like no but this is every trip for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.