Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold
Well this is annoying.

I'm looking to book the Hyatt House Manhattan/Chelsea and found a rate that was cheaper by about US$6 on both expedia.com.sg and hotels.com.

Just got the response and they said they can't verify the cheaper rate as both rates are the same. True enough, the rate is gone from both sites now. There's nothing I can do about it.

They could've easily rectified the rate with the OTA before replying to my booking in such a manner (though I attached a screenshot). What could I have done? Made a booking on the other site too? Something tells me they would've found some other excuse anyway.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by puddiemel
Well this is annoying.

I'm looking to book the Hyatt House Manhattan/Chelsea and found a rate that was cheaper by about US$6 on both expedia.com.sg and hotels.com.

Just got the response and they said they can't verify the cheaper rate as both rates are the same. True enough, the rate is gone from both sites now. There's nothing I can do about it.

They could've easily rectified the rate with the OTA before replying to my booking in such a manner (though I attached a screenshot). What could I have done? Made a booking on the other site too? Something tells me they would've found some other excuse anyway.
you seem to be a schemer, disputing a small rate difference using a non-local website
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Colin
you seem to be a schemer, disputing a small rate difference using a non-local website
Watch out guys, the self appointed fuzz has arriveds.

There's nothing wrong with using a non-local site, nor a $6 difference (which could be 3-5% depending upon the prevailing rate - of which you have no idea because OP didn't mention it).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
Whoa whoa, I'm based in Singapore and Expedia automatically directs us to the .com.sg even if I enter .com in the URL bar. It's not some shifty OTA but Expedia and Hotels we're talking about and they have presence in most markets.

And I assure you it wasn't a Forex difference cos no matter what exchange rate I used, it still came up to less than the published rate.

Any lower publicly available rate qualifies, technically, so be mindful of who you're calling a schemer.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:49 pm

Got some helpful info from this thread today, so I wanted to report back that I got a BRG successfully approved today in about 3 hours. Booked a $129 "Standard" rate at Hyatt.com and sent a screenshot of the last step of checkout at Expedia.com showing a rate of $103.20 for a Refundable, Pay Later reservation. Got a new confirmation with a rate around $85.

Thanks for all the info here. Hyatt could not be less transparent about this process. I first tried submitting a BRG without a reservation because the FAQ's clearly say to submit "Prior to or within 24 hours of booking". That was rejected within an hour, so I then found this TA thread. I wasn't about to take a chance booking a non-refundable rate(which was available and even cheaper) due to all the shenanigans. I'm feeling lucky to even get this approved, despite it being pretty clear cut.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I did my first BRG claim yesterday and it was pretty painless; the overall process is similar to Marriott's (I'm more familiar with that program):

Property - Hyatt Place LAX/El Segundo (one night)
Hyatt Member Rate - $170
Hotels.com Rate - $143
Adjusted BRG Rate - $114

I'm impressed that it only took two hours to get the claim processed.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I did my first BRG claim yesterday and it was pretty painless; the overall process is similar to Marriott's (I'm more familiar with that program):
Hotels.com is painless. Most other entirely legitimate OTAs are rejected by Hyatt for spurious reasons.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Hotels.com is painless. Most other entirely legitimate OTAs are rejected by Hyatt for spurious reasons.
Nothing is painless with the Hyatt BRG. I've had some rejections by the German desk of Expedia.de because there's a mention of "sale." Who cares that the rate is lower on the competing site, how dare you compare an Expedia sale rate with a Hyatt non-sale rate?!

Despite the fact that the occasional claim may still sneak through, Hyatt has turned its BRG into a complete farce.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by jpdx
Nothing is painless with the Hyatt BRG. I've had some rejections by the German desk of Expedia.de because there's a mention of "sale." Who cares that the rate is lower on the competing site, how dare you compare an Expedia sale rate with a Hyatt non-sale rate?!

Despite the fact that the occasional claim may still sneak through, Hyatt has turned its BRG into a complete farce.
+1

A 10% off sale was showing on expedia.com, booking.com and hotels.com and my claim was denied.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I didn't have much loyalty left for Hyatt but figured I'd give the BRG a shot for an upcoming trip. Hotels.com offered 1/3rd off the price found on hyatt.com w/free internet (the only rewards perk I use) for a suite at the Grand Hyatt Berlin.

I filled out the form and was told that I need to book it first on Hyatt to qualify for them to look at it, so did so after booking the hotels.com rate in the likelihood Hyatt denied the BRG claim. Not surprisingly the claim was denied because it was a hotels.com 'sale' and no payment was required through hyatt.com whereas hotels.com required a one night deposit on a 6 night stay. I would've appreciated it if they looked at my screenshot first to say that it wouldn't qualify anyways.

When did Hyatt get so bad? I used to be a Diamond for years but really slowed travels the past few years with a new kid but am ready to ramp them up again. In this instance, I even get an additional 10% kickback via hotels.com 10 stays/1 free. The Hyatt points aren't very useful anymore and perks are pretty thin so this is it for me w/the company.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I had another two denials yesterday and one I just cancelled the booking, but the second one really bothered me as the Hyatt BRG process is such a joke.

I sent a concise follow-up email and the response was well-informed and provided some advice for a follow-up claim submission. We shall see.

BTW, I can confirmed that tablethotels.com should be added to the no-no websites wiki list as Hyatt claims it is a member-only website, which is debatable.
dc_traveler likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:53 am

I am still stunned with my claim approval:

Property - Andaz Delhi (3 nights)
Hyatt rate: 5,333 INR with 3rd night free
Priceline.com rate - 3,555 INR with 3rd night free
Adjusted BRG rate - 2,844 INR with 3rd night free

**Please note that the credit card on the reservation will be charged and is now non-refundable.**

It was not easy at all, but I do feel rewarded for efforts. For reference purposes, 2,844 INR is roughly 44 USD.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by PointWeasel

**Please note that the credit card on the reservation will be charged and is now non-refundable.**

It was not easy at all, but I do feel rewarded for efforts. For reference purposes, 2,844 INR is roughly 44 USD.
Wow!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by PointWeasel

It was not easy at all, but I do feel rewarded for my efforts. For reference purposes, 2,844 INR is roughly 44 USD.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

According to the Points, Miles & Martinis blog, Hyatt will be changing the terms and conditions of the BRG on 31 July. The following is a news release from Hyatt quoted by The Weekly Flyer in the blog post:

Hyatt has offered a Best Rate Guarantee since 2003 to guarantee that Hyatt provides the lowest online, publicly available and immediately bookable rates for room reservations at Hyatt hotels worldwide. If a guest finds a lower qualifying rate elsewhere, Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee will now match the comparable lower rate and also offer a $50 credit to the guest, valid for use on a future Hyatt stay booked on Hyatt.com. The $50 credit will be provided as a single use offer code within four days of checkout of the initial stay and must be used within one year of being issued. This benefit will replace the current Best Rate Guarantee, which offers a 20% discount on valid lower rates found and is intended to underscore the value of booking directly with Hyatt for the best experience.
Personally I think this change is highly regrettable. The USD 50 credit on a future stay booked on Hyatt.com is less attractive than a 20% discount on the matched price on the existing booking. Also, will it be possible to file a BRG claim for the subsequent booking based on the Hyatt.com rate before the USD 50 credit is applied? If not, this change would represent a further devaluation to Hyatt's BRG.

I struggle to see how this chimes with Hyatt's objective of incentivising direct bookings...

Edit: Mommy Points has posted the full text of the new BRG terms and conditions which will come into effect on 31 July

Last edited by paul00; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.