Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Amoma.com is on the list of blacklisted sites. See wiki.@:-)
Thanks! The rate of success with BRG is low enough that one questions whether it's worth the effort.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dc_traveler
Thanks! The rate of success with BRG is low enough that one questions whether it's worth the effort.
I decided to be a pain and keep resubmitting the same claim over and over. Prestigia.com was the competitor, which definitely isn't a membership / voucher site, etc. and worked fine for many years.

Excuse 1 - couldn't find the competing rate.
Excuse 2 - "flexible" with prestigia is paying upfront and getting a refund - same window for cancellation
Excuse 3 - screenshot didn't show credit card payment screen, although they did put in writing the lower rate on Prestigia.
Excuse 4 - Prestigia doesn't immediately confirm because they contact hotel. A complete lie - only certain hotels/rates are "on request" and require contacting the hotel.

I knew the BRG had turned into a scam but why not just pull the BRG program entirely? Surely you would annoy fewer customers by not bothering with the BRG promise (would anybody other than "travel hackers" even notice?) and you could allocate the staff to more productive tasks...
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I decided to be a pain and keep resubmitting the same claim over and over. Prestigia.com was the competitor, which definitely isn't a membership / voucher site, etc. and worked fine for many years.

Excuse 1 - couldn't find the competing rate.
Excuse 2 - "flexible" with prestigia is paying upfront and getting a refund - same window for cancellation
Excuse 3 - screenshot didn't show credit card payment screen, although they did put in writing the lower rate on Prestigia.
Excuse 4 - Prestigia doesn't immediately confirm because they contact hotel. A complete lie - only certain hotels/rates are "on request" and require contacting the hotel.

I knew the BRG had turned into a scam but why not just pull the BRG program entirely? Surely you would annoy fewer customers by not bothering with the BRG promise (would anybody other than "travel hackers" even notice?) and you could allocate the staff to more productive tasks...
How do you get past excuse 4? I'm having the same problem with a denied BRG request that I think is bs.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I decided to be a pain and keep resubmitting the same claim over and over. Prestigia.com was the competitor......
Prestigia.com is blacklisted according to wiki.@:-)
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Prestigia.com is blacklisted according to wiki.@:-)
Actually, Prestigia is on the Yes list. Of course, it's not worth updating the list anymore because all of the excuses are so BS that it's hardly worth the effort.

I suspect that only hotels.com (and the rest of Expedia's OTAs) and booking.com AREN'T blacklisted, but you still need to have a perfect match of T&Cs...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I just submitted a claim for a 2-night stay at the HR Belgrade. Hyatt.com's lowest rate is 100 Euros per night. Priceline and other OTAs have a rate of 80 Euros per night. The difference is that the Priceline rate is non-refundable, while the Hyatt.com rate is refundable. Looking at Hyatt.com, I see no non-refundable rate... which is kind of odd itself. I mean, I can't recall ever seeing a list of rates that didn't include at least one non-refundable rate.

Here's the reply I got (which was addressed to someone of a different gender ):

Thank you for your interest in our Best Rate Guarantee program. After researching, we were unable to validate your submission per the Best Rate Guarantee Terms and Conditions, as you must reserve the lowest comparable rate to the competing rate found on the internet, including guarantee and cancel policy.

Per the information you have provided, the rates shown are full prepayment at time of booking and are non-refundable once confirmed. Your current reservation is confirmed for the standard rate that is cancellable and non-prepaid. This makes your request invalid.
Here's the thing. I have gone through the BRG T&Cs at http://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/best-rate-guarantee.html, and I see nothing saying that I "must reserve the lowest comparable rate to the competing rate found on the internet, including guarantee and cancel policy." I have searched for the word "comparable." It's not there. I know this was discussed a couple of months ago in this post (which I have truncated in the interest of space):

Originally Posted by paul00
The Hyatt BRG T&Cs quoted in the wiki are from mid-March 2016:

However, in mid-April 2016, Hyatt made a slight change to the wording:
I have even looked at the BRG T&Cs on three different browsers and my iPhone. There is nothing stating this in the T&Cs, which are listed three times in the link I provided above. As far as rates are concerned, here's what the T&Cs state:
Terms & Conditions

Hyatt guarantees that it provides the lowest online bookable rate for room reservations at Hyatt hotels available to the general public on the Internet, subject to the following terms and conditions:

If you find a publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rate on the Internet for a Hyatt hotel ("Competing Rate") that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation on hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay), then prior to or within 24 hours of booking the reservation on hyatt.com, please submit your claim request online via our online claim form.
This is really frustrating, because I did do what the second paragraph above states.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
I just submitted a claim for a 2-night stay at the HR Belgrade. Hyatt.com's lowest rate is 100 Euros per night. Priceline and other OTAs have a rate of 80 Euros per night. The difference is that the Priceline rate is non-refundable, while the Hyatt.com rate is refundable. Looking at Hyatt.com, I see no non-refundable rate.......
This is where Starwood BRG shines. @:-) Hyatt requires competing rate to have the same payment condition while Starwood doesn't.

The quote you cited was from FAQ, not actual T&C for Hyatt BRG. From Hyatt BRG T&C:
If you find a publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rate on the Internet for a Hyatt hotel (“Competing Rate”) that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation and booked by you on Hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay, same length of stay, and same booking conditions), you can submit your claim request online via our online claim form in English......
https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/specials...Page=claimPage
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is really frustrating, because I did do what the second paragraph above states.
Consider yourself lucky. If you had found a non-refundable rate on hyatt.com and booked it, you might have found that Hyatt BRG made up some silly excuse to deny your BRG claim, and you'd be stuck with the overpriced reservation.

I tend to book refundable rates, and check back every once in awhile to see whether a slam-dunk BRG is available. (usually a flexible rate from hotels.com)

Even SPG has been unable to see the same Priceline rates as me lately, so something screwy is going on there and I wouldn't consider Priceline to be reliable for a non-refundable BRG claim from Hyatt...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

The quote you cited was from FAQ, not actual T&C for Hyatt BRG. From Hyatt BRG T&C:

https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/specials...Page=claimPage
If you Google "Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee Terms and Conditions," the first result is http://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/best-rate-guarantee.html. These may be the FAQ, but the FAQ state the "Terms & Conditions" three times. Those T&C say nothing about requiring the rates to have the same booking conditions.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I am now dealing with the Hyatt Concierge via Twitter, who referred to the T&C. I provided the link I did in the previous post and asked where the T&C as stated there excluded the refundable rate that I found on Priceline.com.

Here is the response I received:

On the link you provided, this is listed. "If you find a publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rate on the Internet for a Hyatt hotel ("Competing Rate") that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation on http://hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay), then prior to or within 24 hours of booking the reservation on http://hyatt.com , please submit your claim request online via our online claim form." This includes the guarantee policy.
Unbelievable.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Have two last reservations on Hyatt in august to use. After this it's good bye Hyatt thanks to their rubbish and disappointing BRG terms and CS. Would advice anyone to do the same.
Perhaps one day Hyatt will rise back to its glory days.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Wow. Hyatt's BRG really is awful.

They won't even consider using an app, it HAS to be on a website. More and more travel is being booked on phones / apps, so just another are where they're clearly behind the times here...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you Google "Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee Terms and Conditions," the first result is http://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/best-rate-guarantee.html. These may be the FAQ, but the FAQ state the "Terms & Conditions" three times. Those T&C say nothing about requiring the rates to have the same booking conditions.
That is the FAQ, not actual T&C. You should file a complaint against Google.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

That is the FAQ, not actual T&C. You should file a complaint against Google.
Cute, but if you actually click on the link and scroll down, you will see the full terms and conditions of Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee. If you scroll down a little more, you will see the full terms and conditions of Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee again. And if you keep scrolling, you will see the full terms and conditions of Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee a third time. Google didn't post those... Hyatt did.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we're all hoping that a tenacious lawyer or a government agency will take Hyatt to task.

But ultimately it's their rules (which they may or may not even be following) and they can change the T&Cs tomorrow or drop the whole BRG policy.

Our only recourse is to stay with other chains or book with the OTA. Of course we would prefer to stay at Hyatt on a directly booked rate, so we're our own worst enemy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.