Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Tumbleweeds rolling through this thread. Hyatt must have so truly gutted their BRG that nobody can be bothered to try any more (or complain).

A recent Prestigia rejection came because "we don't know what is meant by "Run of House" room." Fair enough, but naturally I don't care if it's the worst standard room broom closet if I get the match + 20%...
Similarly, I booked the CHEAPEST room on hyatt.com, and the claim was denied because the competing site used vague wording like "double room". Apparently, the competing rate is worse because I might get a better room category. Does that make sense to anyone outside of the BRG defense team?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:46 am

Hyatt Hotels & Resorts Best Rate Guarantee Failure

Weird responses from Hyatt BRG.

I found a cheaper rate on Priceline.com. I was going to check in on 1/2/2017, but I booked on 1/1/17 and thats when I found the better rate (for 1/2/17). I immediately filled out the BRG form on 1/1/17. I got the following response the next morning.

January 2, 2017 6:26am
"As your reservations was confirmed on 1/1/17 for arrival on 1/2/17, this would make your request invalid."

I was like
Anyhow, I accepted. As it was a new morning, I checked the rate again, now 1/2/17. It was still better on priceline!! I submitted a new form on 1/2/17. The new response a couple of hours later.

January 2, 2017 6:15pm
"After researching, I was unable to validate your submission based on reservation starting within 24 hours"

So now what?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cres911
.....I found a cheaper rate on Priceline.com. I was going to check in on 1/2/2017, but I booked on 1/1/17 and thats when I found the better rate (for 1/2/17)......
BRG doesn't apply within 24 hours of stay.@:-) You cannot BRG for a stay the day before nor same day.

The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to:
· Claims submitted within 24 hours of first available check-in time for the related reservation.
https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/specials...Page=claimPage
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:35 pm

Yeah, that one is pretty clearly spelled out in the terms. Have to side with Hyatt again here. As posted above, you can't BRG 24 hours out of your check in. It is amazing considering how terrible the BRG has become and how Hyatt goes out of their way to deny valid claims for BS reasons that we have actually had a couple of legit Hyatt denials...like the last one where the poster went hysterical because they were trying to claim a BRG based on a foreign currency conversion display difference of less than 1% between two websites that had the identical rate.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
any success claims recently?

this scam, along with the change to WOH drive me away from staying at Hyatt hotels anymore.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:15 pm

Last one I tried was in October and was successful with no issues.

The one before in August was successful but took some serious effort and was driving me insane, but at the end, I was assisted by a fabulous BRG rep who went out of her way to help me and not only adjust that reservation but fix an issue I had with another reservation that was supposed to be, but had not been fixed yet.

And my reservation before that, also in August, was successful but required the intervention of a supervisor to get it handled correctly.

My experience is that you get better luck if you are 100% within the rules and you spell out the stuff in the comments at the bottom. For example, I ALWAYS type out stuff like "this rate is the identical cancelation policy, for the same room type, and is also available on X, Y and Z website (if there are others) for the same price. The rate is also confirmed instantly" etc etc. It seems to improve my chances.

Last edited by antonius66; Jan 7, 2017 at 2:21 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
My previous attempts at a BRG with Hyatt have failed, but I am mostly a loyal SPG member and was testing Hyatt out this year. So far, BRG has been a big disappointment, not because of not getting them approved, but because of the shady tactics around rejections.

With the new-ish policy of requiring an existing reservation, is it like SPG where you can make a refundable reservation, and apply BRG using the lowest prepaid rate? Does the point on having to make the via the Hyatt website still allow Citi Prestige 4th night free? As I understand it, for the most part, the Citi concierge books it directly via the hotel sites if they can.

Or, is there some other way to know if a BRG will be approved or rejected without making a reservation, perhaps by calling and getting it confirmed?

Read the past 3-5 months of posts and didn't see detail on this, only a lot of examples of questionable if not completely out of line rejections.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Update to my previous post:

Submitted a BRG without a reservation, using Agoda as third party. Denied.

Booked a Hyatt in Japan using Citi Prestige 4th Night Free on a standard (refundable) rate. Submitted my BRG using Agoda. It was approved in about 7 hours, however, they approved it for the refundable rate, rather than the submitted pre-paid rate.

I canceled that one and rolled the dice.

Booked again, this time on an upgraded room category (lowest category not available), and submitted BRG w/ Agoda (the lower rates were still showing). BRG approved after about 6-8 hours. Received confirmation from Citi for the 4th night free, looks like they already had the BRG'd rate in their system and was confirmed.

One thing that kind of sucked was that less than an hour after I made my booking with Citi and submitted my BRG, the lowest category room became available on Hyatt again (it was always showing on Agoda, but I couldn't BRG that if it wasn't available on Hyatt). So missed out on about $50-75 in savings.

I feel very lucky to have this BRG approved. I think the process is more annoying and nerve wracking than it needs to be. SPG's system is so much better, where you don't feel like you have to roll the dice-- you can book a flexible rate and they will BRG to the lowest rate. This makes me much more inclined to stay with SPG given fewer hassles and less risk.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Just had another reminder about how bad Hyatt's BRG has become. Another Amoma.com denial for the stupid automatic membership and a second denial because the room type wasn't clear.

I think I might be willing to accept World of Hyatt if they brought back their old BRG system, which was one of the best. I can recall having several claims approved based on my screenshots even after the rate was no longer available. I can't really remember the last good Hyatt program change, not sure how much more I can take.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hotels.com is offering a non-refundable rate but Hyatt is not. They seem to be playing coy... will they not BRG the lowest rate on Hyatt.com and apply the non-refundable condition?

Otherwise that seems like a sneaky way out...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Hotels.com is offering a non-refundable rate but Hyatt is not. They seem to be playing coy... will they not BRG the lowest rate on Hyatt.com and apply the non-refundable condition?

Otherwise that seems like a sneaky way out...
The TC&s of the BRG are clear: cancellation policies must be the same.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:25 pm

Hyatt BRG gets a bad rap here. The goal is to incent hotel owners, via a stiff 25% rate penalty, to not offer the same room & conditions for a lower price outside of Hyatt booking channels. I usually do 2 to 3 BRGs a year and never really have any problem when using legit competitor websites (Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz).

People complain when these 2nd-tier booking sites offer lower rates when in reality they are probably just rebating a portion of the expected commission in order to advertise a lower rate. It is hard to blame Hyatt.com for what sketchy online booking sites might sometimes offer.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
Hyatt BRG gets a bad rap here. The goal is to incent hotel owners, via a stiff 25% rate penalty, to not offer the same room & conditions for a lower price outside of Hyatt booking channels. I usually do 2 to 3 BRGs a year and never really have any problem when using legit competitor websites (Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz).

People complain when these 2nd-tier booking sites offer lower rates when in reality they are probably just rebating a portion of the expected commission in order to advertise a lower rate. It is hard to blame Hyatt.com for what sketchy online booking sites might sometimes offer.
While I tend to agree with you, I'm also disappointed in the change in process that Hyatt implemented where you actually have to have a reservation booked in order to now apply for a BRG claim. My findings are that frequently, I can find a better deal but its almost always the non-refundable rate. So I have to take the risk of booking the fare just to try my luck at Hyatt accepting the BRG claim. That sounds like a gamble to me and not something I'm willing to do frequently.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by danger
The TC&s of the BRG are clear: cancellation policies must be the same.
One reason the Hyatt BRG is the weakest in the industry.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Also the fact you can only apply within 24 hours of your booking is not good.

I have a booking for later in the year and on Friday got an email with "special prices" from Hotels.com. Upon checking the prices it is Ł300 cheaper, same room etc and a cancellable rate. Needless to say I have cancelled the booking with Hyatt direct and booked with Hotels.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.