Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by thetaxman
Email from BRG team says I have to book the lowest rate on hyatt.com to be eligible.

"After researching, I was unable to validate your submission based on your reservation has not been booked for the lowest possible rate on Hyatt.com. Based on our newly updated terms and conditions, you must book the lowest rate on Hyatt.com in order for your claim to be considered.

Lydia Phillips
Global Contact Center - Omaha
9805 Q Street
Omaha, Nebraska"

The lowest rate on hyatt.com was for advanced purchase and totally non-refundable - as confirmed with a rep by phone.

So is it now the case that we have to complete a non-refundable reservation to obtain any BRG benefit?
Oh my this could be a Catch-22 game-changer. We'd have to book a non-refundable hyatt.com reservation in order to gamble on whether we can get a BRG, and if the BRG does not go through we'd then be stuck with the hyatt.com reservation???
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Hyatt BRG is definitely dead !
No way I will risk booking a non refundable rate to have a claim denied for any silly reason...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Thumbs down

from Hyatt's BRG Terms & Conditions:
"When multiple publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rates for the same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay are available through a Hyatt website you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee. To be eligible, you must submit your claim request within 24 hours of both booking on Hyatt.com and finding the Competing Rate."
This is so so so so sooo bad!! BRG is virtually useless for 90% of the cases now.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by lautaro
"When multiple publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rates for the same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay are available through a Hyatt website you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee. To be eligible, you must submit your claim request within 24 hours of both booking on Hyatt.com and finding the Competing Rate."
This is so so so so sooo bad!! BRG is virtually useless for 90% of the cases now.
For what it is worth (not much) a Diamond rep told me that if i book a non-refundable rate and don't get the BRG, they will cancel the room and credit the charge back. This was after putting me on hold and talking to a supervisor. With that said, I don't believe it and i'm pretty sure i'd have to fight it but did call from my work phone so the call is recorded.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
For what it is worth (not much) a Diamond rep told me that if i book a non-refundable rate and don't get the BRG, they will cancel the room and credit the charge back. This was after putting me on hold and talking to a supervisor. With that said, I don't believe it and i'm pretty sure i'd have to fight it but did call from my work phone so the call is recorded.
Read this and immediately wrote to "Gold Passport Concierge", this is their answer:
"If the lowest rate available is a nonrefundable rate, then the nonrefundable cancellation policy remains in place regardless of whether or not a Best Rate Guarantee claim is approved or denied. I will be sure to share your feedback with our Corporate office as well.
"
This are really terrible news. Hyatt's BRG is now officially a joke.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Got to be an April Fool that has over run !!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:05 pm

Read this and immediately wrote to "Gold Passport Concierge", this is their answer:
"If the lowest rate available is a nonrefundable rate, then the nonrefundable cancellation policy remains in place regardless of whether or not a Best Rate Guarantee claim is approved or denied. I will be sure to share your feedback with our Corporate office as well.
"
This are really terrible news. Hyatt's BRG is now officially a joke.
I am disgusted at Hyatt over this, especially that the rep didn't even bother to come here to explain the new policy when Hyatt is well aware of exactly what we are writing here. This is the most restrictive, unfair and ridiculous BRG program there is. Thank goodness for that Hilton Diamond status I have in addition to Hyatt.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Okay

Hyatt's BRG is no longer exist!!!

Good bye.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My previous BRG was rejected due to the same reason. Wiki has been updated. Now Hyatt's BRG is probably the worst.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:27 am

Comical. For the past year it's been clear that they have been doing all they can to avoid granting BRGs. As I posted last year - why don't they just dump the program entirely? All that this does is create ill-will.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:39 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Gunner14
Comical. For the past year it's been clear that they have been doing all they can to avoid granting BRGs. As I posted last year - why don't they just dump the program entirely? All that this does is create ill-will.
I agree totally. It's apparent that Hyatt doesn't really want to do the BRG program, so they should just discontinue it rather than come up with more and more stringent (in many people's opinion ridiculous) T&Cs.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
I agree totally. It's apparent that Hyatt doesn't really want to do the BRG program, so they should just discontinue it rather than come up with more and more stringent (in many people's opinion ridiculous) T&Cs.
Is Hyatt's GP program really strong enough to handle the elimination of BRG? As I have been eyeing an alternative to SPG. I no longer think Hyatt is a good alternative, in fact I would rather take the lower rate of a 3rd party than the 'benefits' of Hyatt's GP (which seems to only really benefit Diamond members).

I think Hyatt should overhaul the whole program or just get bought out by IHG (at least that would slightly improve the BRG for stays <= 5 nights in addition to slightly relaxed T&Cs)

P.S. Does anyone know if I can call BRG for rooms that are booked out on Hyatt.com? I've found a hotel that is sold out on standard rooms on Hyatt, but not on 3rd party OTAs.

Last edited by sagi_; Apr 12, 2016 at 10:54 am
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
The room must also be available on Hyatt's website.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by duhe
The room must also be available on Hyatt's website.
This is ridiculous, no wonder everyone is pissed off here.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:06 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sagi_
This is ridiculous, no wonder everyone is pissed off here.
I will defend the Hyatt BRG here - often times major 3rd party sites (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and others) will contract with a property to buy rooms guaranteeing revenue to the property and taking the risk of reselling those rooms. Of course occupancy is an imperfect science so sometimes the property itself may be closer to selling out than expected so the less expensive rooms may no longer be available directly but still is on the 3rd party inventory site. I wouldn't expect the property to confirm an upgraded room (even suites) under the BRG terms of beating the 3rd party rate by 20%.

We're all kind of upset in this thread because of the claims by the BRG staff (under direction) of questionable reasons like creating a membership in the site, inability to open attachments (although that could be an IT issue) and now the requirement for having a reservation in place at the lowest rate on Hyatt.com which is often the prepaid rate.

Hyatt honors status perks on all stays no matter how booked (including 3rd parties). The main difference is whether the stay will earn points and stay credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.