Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by doodley
Oops, you're correct. I meant to say non-refundable rate (edited to reflect this). I thought it was a bad agent at first, but I called back to speak with 5 other agents, and each one told me the same exact thing. What matters is a price on a 3rd party website that's lower than the lowest price on Hyatt.com, regardless of cancellation policy.
From my experience, what the agents are saying is accurate. I actually like it. Since the non-refundable rates are usually the lowest available Hyatt rates, you can match it to ANY rate you find elsewhere (provided the details are the same, of course) and know you're getting a good deal. Plus, you can match a pre-paid rate and Hyatt will book you under a standard reservation with the hotel's normal cancellation policy.

I do not like the password policy though.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:49 pm

Rather discouraged this afternoon by the BRG......

I'm booking Hyatt Place Des Moines..... it says its sold out, then I plug my Diamond membership number in, guaranteed rate of $278ish..... Go to aircanada.com Hotels (I believe its operated by Expedia or Hotels.com) and I can get it for $165.........

BRG's response - this cannot apply to third party wholesale websites (ie. expedia and hotels.com; and the hotel is sold out but there are rooms available with others.....i suggest u book through them instead of checking to see if they can do anything on their end....

great way to send me elsewhere on a sailboat

i can confirm that the lowest booking rate (from a few days back) was $161 + taxes.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Another stupid one (first time I tried to use the BRG)

Grand Hyatt Berlin: Hyatt rate €190
Booked for 3 nights so I was able to use the FreeTime offer (3rd night free), so total of € 380 for 3 nights = € 127 / night.

• Hoteltravel: €101 + €17 tax = € 118 (denied as mentioned before due to tax and (free) account required when booking).
  • Agoda: €147 (denied with claim that my Hyatt rate would amount to € 127 due to the free night).

So I will now cancel my FreeTime reservation and book at the daily rate which is also €190/night and BRG the Agoda rate. My final rate will then be €118 and I will get credited 3 nights instead of 2.
Or book one night (with the BRG) so I can at least earn my stay credit and book the rest with Hoteltravel. The Hoteltravel rate even includes breakfast!

Again the BRG is useless and a pain to have to jump through hoops to get a rate that is offered on the 3rd party websites.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Originally Posted by RTW1

Booked for 3 nights so I was able to use the FreeTime offer (3rd night free), so total of € 380 for 3 nights = € 127 / night.

• Hoteltravel: €101 + €17 tax = € 118 (denied as mentioned before due to tax and (free) account required when booking).
  • Agoda: €147 (denied with claim that my Hyatt rate would amount to € 127 due to the free night).

So I will now cancel my FreeTime reservation and book at the daily rate which is also €190/night and BRG the Agoda rate. My final rate will then be €118 and I will get credited 3 nights instead of 2.
Or book one night (with the BRG) so I can at least earn my stay credit and book the rest with Hoteltravel. The Hoteltravel rate even includes breakfast!

Again the BRG is useless and a pain to have to jump through hoops to get a rate that is offered on the 3rd party websites.
I'm trying to stay at Hyatt Berlin for July 1-5 but see much higher rates.

1) did you end up going with hoteltravel.com?

2) Does hyatt allow stay credit for third-party booking sites?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's probably due to the fact that you are booking on short notice, now the rates are indeed quite high. Even on 3rd party websites the savings are minimal.
The period I'm looking at is at the end of August. Still some time to go and in the summer holiday period.

I've never booked through 3rd party website so I'm not sure about what happens with the stay credit. I think I've read here that most bookings through other websites won't earn anything. The T&C states: In order for a Hyatt Gold Passport member to receive Hyatt Gold Passport points, the bill for charges must be in that member's name and member must personally pay for all charges. And you would normally pay the 3rd party and not Hyatt.

For my booking I haven't decided yet what to do. My reservation can be cancelled so I'm flexible. Probably one night through Hyatt with a BRG and the rest through Hoteltravel.
But I think I will first contact the hotel directly to see if they will match the Hoteltravel offer for free breakfast. I could have breakfast in the lounge but prefer a full breakfast.
If they are willing to do that I'm fine with paying €127 a night with the FreeTime offer.

Although I feel that the Hyatt website should at least be somewhat competitive with the 3rd party offers, now the differences are way too high and the BRG doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 15, 2012 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:49 am

deleted

Last edited by ThomasBne; Jun 28, 2019 at 5:28 am Reason: deleted
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:25 am

Basically the BRG is at the mercy of Hyatt or its employee, they can always come back and say "this is not valid" to anything.......
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And that's probably also why they only offer it by phone.... doesn't really any "evidence" what they are deciding.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

I'm booking Hyatt Place Des Moines..... it says its sold out, then I plug my Diamond membership number in, guaranteed rate of $278ish..... Go to aircanada.com Hotels (I believe its operated by Expedia or Hotels.com) and I can get it for $165.........

BRG's response - this cannot apply to third party wholesale websites (ie. expedia and hotels.com; and the hotel is sold out but there are rooms available with others.....i suggest u book through them instead of checking to see if they can do anything on their end....

i can confirm that the lowest booking rate (from a few days back) was $161 + taxes.

Oh, wow! That's not good! They should honor your lower rates!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Actually not in this case... the Diamond guaranteed is applied when the hotel is fully booked and they will have to walk someone else with a valid booking. That justifies the higher price.
Apparently the hotel has some (wholesale) customers that they have sold a number of rooms to. And those rooms are still available on the 3rd party websites.

Since Hyatt has no control over this capacity they are still fully booked even if there are rooms available elsewhere. Therefore the advice to book with the 3rd party website seems valid (or pay the inflated guaranteed rate).

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 15, 2012 at 9:31 am
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by RTW1

On the 3rd night free (deducted at check out) You should always get credited for 3 nights and not 2. It is not considered an award.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

When a Hyatt is Sold Out and you are offered a Price Guarantee as a Diamond Member,such as the $278 you were offered, NO BRG will be approved.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by suite2suite
On the 3rd night free (deducted at check out) You should always get credited for 3 nights and not 2. It is not considered an award.
They apparently made some changes, at least for the FreeTime rate.... I just completed a stay in Aruba on the same rate and for a five night stay only four nights were credited. The free night didn't count.

A lame way to handle it (I also don't consider it an award but rather a reduced rate, and apparently even Hyatt applies this logic with the BRG). But more people have experienced it....

Makes it even more difficult to qualify for Diamond.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:26 pm

Grand Hyatt San Francisco:

Priceline: $215 for double bed room.

Hyatt.com: Only respire room available.

Since the double bed room isn't available on Hyatt's inventory, they can't book it.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
For a one week stay at GH Berlin in August. I gave them three websites that are between 10% and 20% lower than Hyatt. All 3 were declined due to the aforementioned ridiculous reasons (free account required, etc.). If they are not committed to this then they should not offer it. This is counterproductive as now I am really unhappy.

Probably it's a good deal for them as now it turns out I gave them 3 free website references they can follow up on with their research. Maybe that's what it's all about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.