Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
5 stays here this year = 0 upgrades as a Diamond

12 stays across the street at Grand Hyatt = 12 upgrades

I no longer stay here unless I need to hop.
+1. I don't like this hotel for many of the reasons made above (well not the safe thing. . .). The Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Bellevue are amazing imo! Not worth the aggravation of the Olive 8.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
How's the water pressure? I booked a suite upgrade for next weekend with a Diamond coupon.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
How's the water pressure? I booked a suite upgrade for next weekend with a Diamond coupon.
It was pretty low.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
O8 started giving breakfast coupons so you won't be charge the gratuity any longer. It states you are entitled to coffee, juice and one entree for breakfast. The FD are all great and very friendly and recently got upgraded to the prez suite. Best chances for upgades at O8 is 1- u are Dia, 2- you visit often, 3- one night stay, 4-the hotel is sold out.

My stays betwen O8 and GH has been great. GH always give Diamonds the floor where the lounge is located and above. I was told all those rooms are suites @ the GH. The only time I did not get upgraded was when the Yankees came to town and took all the rooms on those floors (the NY fans were willing to pony up big $$$s for those rooms).

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Jul 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Stayed here during conference in late Feb. Got some kind of marginally upgraded room it was HUGE and cheaper than the conf rate. Yes water pressure in the room was low. I also don't like the Hyatt soaps and shampoos they smell too much. But the spa has their own products that I was able to take back to the room. Pool is fabulous. Wifi did not work well for me. They said it might be my mac - they were on tmobile. I ended up using wired which was fine really. My conf was at the grand hyatt around the corner both seem like nice hotels. I do not stay in hyatts enough to have any tiered status. The gym at hyatt olive 8 was good too. You can read my review on tripadvisor under the same moniker.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Stayed here on a FFN stay in June because the GH wouldn't guarantee a two-bedded room even for a Diamond. Kind of out of the way location, rooms were pleasant but nothing overly special. Service was great except in the restaurant, where it was very pokey. But the free breakfast was very good (I had the corned beef hash, and it was big thick strips of corned beef, not canned nonsense), and it was nice not to have the standard HR buffet breakfast.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Stayed here on a FFN stay in June because the GH wouldn't guarantee a two-bedded room even for a Diamond.
Come to think of it this was roughly why I stayed at HO8 myself. Conf at GH should have had both 2 bed and 1 bed rooms with guarantee but would not give the 2bed room so I got a cheaper price for larger 2 bed room at HO8.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Memorable things from my May stay:
- Great pool and fitness facility.
- The restaurant was running a dual happy hour -- the usual, around 6PM, and another around 10PM. Interesting beer selection; the food's well executed but not imaginative.
- As far as being green, it's LEED Silver, which is good but considered baseline around Seattle (all city buildings must be Silver or better). Many of the green features are hidden, like low-toxin materials, and I only noticed a few in the rooms, like dual-flush toilets. (This property aside, you shouldn't confuse low-flow and low-pressure shower heads.)
- Very friendly staff.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
O8 started giving breakfast coupons so you won't be charge the gratuity any longer.
Despite the coupon my CC was still charged for tax and tip (<$5) on a recent stay.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Excellent first stay

Stayed here for the first time on a one night AAA rate. Was upgraded to a very nice Luxury King suite (without asking or using an upgrade cert) with a full bedroom, bathroom with separate bath and shower, and a full size living room/work area. Flat screens and iPod docks in both rooms. Towels were a bit worn, but not excessively. Valet parking is expensive ($38, I think) but it's downtown Seattle...

Breakfast coupon was valid for one of the best breakfasts I've enjoyed as a Hyatt Diamond, food was on par with the offerings at Park Hyatts. I enjoyed a very well made Dungeness Crab Benedict ($17 a la carte), coffee and OJ, and ordered a "Big Old Pecan Roll' ($7) because I wanted to try it (no, I didn't eat everything, honest) fully expecting to pay for the extra food - but was not charged at checkout even though I called it out to the front desk person; they said that the entire breakfast was free.

All in all, a fine stay - friendly and accommodating staff, good room, excellent unprompted upgrade, great breakfast. This hotel will get my business again, it's a much nicer hotel than any of the SPG properties I've been using in Seattle.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:34 am
Suspended

Had a one night stay here for the first time a couple of days ago and I would also highly recommend this hotel. i was not upgraded to a suite like i always am at the Grand Hyatt, but the room was large enough and very nicely decorated. Service was very friendly and helpful throughout and had an excellent dinner and breakfast in Urbane. Service was slightly slow in the restaurant, but the food more than made up for the wait. Highly recommend the scallops/risotto for dinner - not a huge portion (4 scallops) but excellent flavor. As others mentioned, breakfast for diamonds was whatever we wanted off the menu including tax/tip. I noticed they bumped up the price for all entrees to $18.50 on the receipt they had us sign (although they were closer to $12), so i wonder if that's how much Hyatt reimburses them? Free internet was either wired or wireless.

Overall an excellent stay and would definitely return and possibly use a suite upgrade cert next time (and definitely want to try the salt water pool next time). Won't stop me from returning to the Grand sometimes which I also love, but a great alternative with a smaller, modern/hip vibe. I think it would easily be converted to an Andaz in the future if they wanted (unless the rooms need a certain minimum size or something).
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed at both the GH and O8 back in Sept. The O8 room wasn't as nice as the upgraded suite we received at the GH but the saltwater pool was good and breakfast was excellent. The wife booked a massage at the spa and said it hit the spot. They were also auctioning off some condos in the same building. The condos have a separate entrance but could use the gym and pool. Took a tour of some of the condos and the floor plans and views were good. The condos look like they eventually sold for > 20% below the original retail selling price listed by the developer.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:51 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Stayed last night at the Hyatt Olive 8 using a Diamond Suite upgrade certificate. Was allocated a corner suite on a high floor with views towards the Grand Hyatt.

The suite was quite nice but seemed to have some wasted space. Sofa bed was very comfortable as was the King in the master. Had some issues with lighting and shower (the temp lever did not work so the shower was either too hot or scalding hot!!)

Valte parking was quite efficient and breakfast at Urbane was wonderful. The waffles and the Crab benedict were highlights. Service was a little goofy but I am starting to think this is a Seattle thing.

Still, a very good hotel. Now I need to return to the Grand Hyatt as it has been awhile since I have been there.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by luxury
Stayed last night at the Hyatt Olive 8 using a Diamond Suite upgrade certificate. Was allocated a corner suite on a high floor with views towards the Grand Hyatt.

The suite was quite nice but seemed to have some wasted space. Sofa bed was very comfortable as was the King in the master. Had some issues with lighting and shower (the temp lever did not work so the shower was either too hot or scalding hot!!)

Valte parking was quite efficient and breakfast at Urbane was wonderful. The waffles and the Crab benedict were highlights. Service was a little goofy but I am starting to think this is a Seattle thing.

Still, a very good hotel. Now I need to return to the Grand Hyatt as it has been awhile since I have been there.

Sounds like my room last night. Had a real problem getting the shower temperature to drop below scalding! Also had a corner suite on the 17th floor, same view to the southeast! And the same crab benedict breakfast! And the drapes in the living room kept getting sucked into the A/C unit! No cable for the internet connection, no wifi. But good stay nonetheless.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:44 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Wow - a whole bunch of FTers here - both Hyatt mods were here too (including me). Sounds like many of us had the same breakfast also!!! There is a consistent problem that should be corrected with the shower temperature control - ours was kind of falling off - my partner could not adjust the temperature to less than scalding - I was able to by pushing the control in while turning it (not how its supposed to work though). Also, agreed that the suite (corner) while very large has a lot of really wasted space - and why am I on the lowest floor compared to everyone else (11) . Wifi is tmobile. Decent stay - while I prefer the rooms at the GH, I really prefer the restaurant breakfast - so my future choice will come down to rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.