Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz West Hollywood - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz West Hollywood - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:09 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by peteropny
Yes, breakfast is a Diamond perk since this property doesn't have a Club lounge. Hyatt's T&Cs call for either a Club lounge with breakfast offering or "continental" breakfast in the restaurant for Diamonds.
Thanks ^. I had thought I had read somewhere that this benefit wasn't extended to the Andaz brand (maybe in the Liverpool thread) but glad to hear this isn't the case . The breakfast here is indeed a continental breakfast which includes juice ($6 a la carte), a fruit plate (9 different kinds of fruit), and a muffin or bread. It also includes the gratuity (which is nice) and comes to $27 if you were paying for it .
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:27 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Finishing up night number five of what started as a one night reservation (and may be extending for a sixth tomorrow) and I am still overall impressed with this hotel. In the spirit of not knowing whether or not I'll be extending or checking out, the staff has graciously given me a 3PM late checkout each day ^. Also, all of the staff seem to have super-powered memories, as they remember me each day even though I've only had one or two interactions with a few of them. Most impressive is the valet staff who remember my room number each and every time I come and go, despite my never having seen a few of them . They seem to keep housekeeping staff on very late as I've slept in [quite late] a few days and still been able to get my room fully serviced even after 6PM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
There was a story on a recent issue of Advocate about Andaz WeHo.

http://www.advocate.com/issue_story_ektid73712.asp

Rooms facing Sunset run 352 square feet (rooms directed toward the Hollywood Hills are a bit smaller), with a mirror behind the bed, a tasteful desk, a 42-inch flat-screen TV, and a sunroom -- giving new life to those former balconies. Within the sunroom, two plush black chairs are angled diagonally toward the cityscape, and there’s an additional 20-inch flat-screen TV. The hotel’s 257 rooms include 19 corner suites and a colossal presidential suite on the top floor. And then, like a cherry on top, there’s the hotel’s heated rooftop pool. Surrounded by lush cabanas, a stocked bar, and a sweeping vista that stretches from the Hollywood Hills to downtown Los Angeles, the Andaz’s pool scene has easily overtaken that of the nearby Standard hotel (tiny pool, weak view, crabby service). Cloistered in the Andaz, the annoyances of Sunset and the lures of Santa Monica will be inconsequential. You’re already in your element.

Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My experience matches some of those reported above.

- Check-in wanted $500 cash deposit as I wanted to check out with a gift card. Came to check-out and the night cashier only has $200! (This is an on-going issue!)

- Hotel carries noise - door bangs wake up through the night.

- Came down to reception at 0430 and there was no one there - not one person for 10-15 minutes!

- Room was 1014 - City view but nice.

- Noisy refrigerator

- Rooms are dingy (dark not dirty)

- Could not use the ANDAZ5 $50 credit as room service was taking over 1 hour

- No breakfast offered and no Diamond amenity

- Arrived to some sort of Celeb launch party - reception was a zoo and very noisy

All things be equal it was OK as a stay, but I would not make the effort to go back. Oh goodness I am there for two night tomorrow for the Hyatt Do!

Last edited by Markie; Apr 30, 2009 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Markie
- Arrived to some sort of Celeb launch party - reception was a zoo and very noisy!
The celebrity event was something called "LG Rumorous Night", which, judging from the photos, was some kind of gathering of aging Disney Channel starlet-wannabees:

Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just to say:

- Billing problem now resolved
- Have spoken at length with a member of the hotels management and passed on my comments - they seem to really want to hear feedback and I have to say have been very active in making me a happy customer. ^
- Contintental breakfast offered as Diamond perk - $25 credit in the restaurant
- Amenity is bag of dried fruits as mentioned which were already in my room when I arrived with a note welcoming me.

Last edited by Markie; May 1, 2009 at 10:38 am
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok - my little review

Which isn't really positive.

The renovation itself is certainly a step up from the "old" property. However, several things are still rather annoying - door banging loudly and soundproofing are the major complaints.

Service issues are rather numerous (not serious but nonetheless annoying).

1. I'm booked on one confirmation number for 2 nights - 1st using my last FFN and 2nd using the FT rate - they thought I was staying 1 night - showed them the confirmation - yet today they had expired my key. We'll see what kind of rate shows up on the bill tomorrow.

2. Small upgrade to a "middle" room on Sunset (not the larger corner rooms - although one FTer did get one of those). So no Peter from FT didn't get a terrific upgrade

3. Diamond amenity are 3 small pears and a note from the GM.

4. Minibar (non alcoholic portion) and snacks are complimentary - but not replaced at the time room is serviced.

In summary, decent renovation but quite numerous service issues and definitely not justified by the very high room rates that they have been trying to get. For current Hyatt properties, I probably prefer the HR Century Plaza (endangered) and sorely miss the PH LA.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:23 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given how nice Hyatt was to arrange the Andaz do here tonight, I really was inclined to like this hotel. I really was.

Until I went to my room. Was upgraded to a corner king (the hotel supposedly has one suite that is allegedly not finished). Lighting is incredibly gloomy. Crypts at a mortuary are better lit. There are no glasses in the bathroom, which did not have a bathtub, just a shower. Much of the staff is friendly, some not so, but all except the managers are relatively unknowledgable.

We got some additional lamps but it took over an hour and repeated calls before they arrived. Room is outfitted with exactly two towel sets, just like a Motel 6. It took about 20 minutes for additional ones to arrive.

There appears to be a motion sensor for the HVAC. It is on a wall that is located away from the main part of this room, I'd have to be in the entranceway of the bathroom for it to detect me. The HVAC vent is there too which means the main part of this room gets relatively little airflow.

I think I'll stop here. The GM was not in attendance tonight, people said he was in Belgium. I concur with the GM's decision, 5,000 miles is a good distance to be from this hotel.

I would not stay here again.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Given how nice Hyatt was to arrange the Andaz do here tonight, I really was inclined to like this hotel. I really was.
Same here. It was a spectacular event.
Until I went to my room. Was upgraded to a corner king (the hotel supposedly has one suite that is allegedly not finished). Lighting is incredibly gloomy. Crypts at a mortuary are better lit.
This is the main problem with the rooms, in my opinion. It may be very stylish, but the room was very gloomy even with all the lights on.
There are no glasses in the bathroom, which did not have a bathtub, just a shower.
The whole idea seems to be minimalism, but in some ways it's a little too minimal. The only glasses were two big stylish ones. There were no coffee cups, either (nor coffeemaker), so it was a challenge to mix up Metamucil in the deep, narrow-mouthed glass with no spoon or swizzle stick (and the mouth was too narrow to get my hand in to use my finger ). There was no laundry bag, either, and although I rarely use a hotel laundry I almost always use the laundry bag to take dirty laundry home in.

On the other hand, the no-nickel-and-diming policies (complimentary minibar but for alcohol, free wifi, etc.) are really nice.
Old May 1, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM

Was upgraded to a corner king (the hotel supposedly has one suite that is allegedly not finished).
I would not stay here again.
They only have one suite in total as in the Pres. Suite, which is not finished? Or, the hotel has traditional suites, but one isn't finished?

I never liked the old version of this hotel, so stopped staying there. But, I am going to be in town in 2 weeks and trying to decide if I stay here or at the LAX Hilton. The Hilton certainly isn't anything special, but a lot easier when catching an 8am flight.

They are basically the same price, and the thought of trying the new Andaz is apealling, but based on the comments above, I'm not sure its worth it.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:31 pm

It appears to me that a lot of hotel design has gone to trendy club styling. Exactly the type of people I like to avoid, especially the young starlet wannabes as evidenced by the photos.

I also think that this type of clientele doesn't have any real money so I don't understand why you would want to attract them. I'm staying at a W when working at one of my client's office and every time I walk in there, I think it's too dark and trying too hard. I can't see the labels on the elevator buttons, or my room number on my key packet. And I'm only 30 years old so my eyes aren't that bad.

From what I've read and photos, this brand looks more like a W and less like a Park Hyatt. I don't get the appeal probably because I'm not cool enough.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:32 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok some updates:

1. They still haven't figured out where my rate for the 2nd night went - they had better not try to take out 18k GP points from my account.

2. At checkout, I got into an "argument" with the "desk" clerk about breakfast on Thurs morning since the entire charge of $60ish was still on the folio - the restaurant people had told me that there was a credit of $23 per person. The desk clerk & her manager tried to only take off the juice & tea since breakfast was only "continental" for Diamonds. I told them about Hyatt's new policy as well as what the restaurant had said and they said that Andaz isn't part of Hyatt!!! (... - why did we just have an event there the previous night!!!!). Property obviously has serious issues - and I"m so sorry to have to report this since the event the night before was very very well done.

Ironies - I'm now at the Sheraton Gateway LAX - and got a suite as a gold on $89 AAA rate (never did inquire about any upgrades since that's really not my style). Compared to my "slight" upgrade at the Andaz as a Diamond and one of the people very much invovled with the corporate event.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by peteropny
2. At checkout, I got into an "argument" with the "desk" clerk about breakfast on Thurs morning since the entire charge of $60ish was still on the folio - the restaurant people had told me that there was a credit of $23 per person.
Under the WeHo Hyatt I could always choose between the breakfast buffet or ordering off the menu. So the breakfast is now downgraded for Diamonds? frankly doesn't sound too promising.
Old May 2, 2009, 2:13 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holtju2
Under the WeHo Hyatt I could always choose between the breakfast buffet or ordering off the menu. So the breakfast is now downgraded for Diamonds? frankly doesn't sound too promising.
No, they sort of gave us this choice. There no longer is a breakfast buffet (or at least there wasn't on Saturday), so the choice was between the $23 credit and the continental breakfast. They did add a 15% service charge, however, which we ended up paying.

Like Peter, it took me about 15 mins to check out -- apparently those snazzy little tiny computers can display charges and check you out but not adjust the bill, and they had to make adjustments.

My understanding is that the hotel only will have one suite, and that isn't done yet.

Ironically, I am at the HR Irvine now and at half the rate of the Andaz, was upgraded to the presidential suite!
Old May 2, 2009, 7:12 pm

Not much hope for Andaz NYC?

Urgh...given these reviews about LA and the rather dismal reviews about London Andaz, I am not optimistic about the NYC ones at all!

I was hoping there'd be good Hyatt alternatives to GHNY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.