Hyatt Maui or Kauai

Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Hyatt Maui or Kauai

I've tried to search for any recent reviews about Hyatt Maui -- wasn't very successful. We're hoping to book family Hawaii Xmas vacation as soon as American loads ff tickets in system. We had a great 2 night stay at Hyatt in Kauai using FFN certificates -- after a rocky one night stay in beginning of trip finished off w/last 2 nights in an upgrade full ocean view. Don't expect that kind of upgrade in future so will book a RC award to make sure of view (they're presently available now).
How does Hyatt in Maui compare to Kauai? We've been to Kauai 3 years in a row... each year's stay getting longer... 1st 5 nights, second time 8 nights, this year 10 nights. Will be traveling w/17 yo and 13 yo. The only "down side" of this year's vacation had been the rain... of course we expected it on a daily basis in Princeville but also every day in Poipu (including 2 very long downpours).
Thanks for any advice.
Carolyn
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...highlight=maui

Probably way more there than you want to know. Summary expect better snorkeling and a less chance of a view or club access. (In flat water going around the ocean end of Black Rock will take your breath away. In rough water don't do it). Tall narrower building, usually with tight occupancy. Then again, it might be a down year and a good time to try. More of a dense high-rise resort strip.

Last edited by jayer; Jan 15, 2009 at 5:58 pm
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Jayer for the link and reply.
DD is in love with Maui Gold pineapple and wants to go there (that's her reasoning lol). Last year we "had to" have a stay in HNL because of flights (ok... could have gone back home to CT 5 days earlier from LIH so hopped over to Oahu) and realized that we just like the laid back feel of Kaui better. Maybe we'll try Maui in the summer when we have a bit more time to hop around.
We were very pleased w/Kauai Hyatt and since I was able to secure a regency room on points will stick with that plan. Hopefully American will be an easy booking (fingers crossed).
Carolyn
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
DD is in love with Maui Gold pineapple and wants to go there (that's her reasoning lol).
Don't know about Maui Gold but we had difficulty finding cheap and fresh roadside fruit. The one stand along the road to the Hyatt just does not cut it. Lots on Oahu. They implied the standard if living on Maui is too high for selling cheap roadside fruit.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; UA Golod; SPG; Hyatt Diamond; AA PLAT; MR gold
Kauai (GH) is incredible - views are great, rooms were good - highly recommend - extensive reviews available
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:26 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Kaui is better.

Maui always tries not to give you longe access, last time they only gave it to us, after we showed them, that several club room categories were bookable. Had the problem each time we stayed there!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Looking forward to staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai next month. With occupancy rates in Hawaii I would expect a chance for a good upgrade. Will report after our trip.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
While others seem to rave about the RC in Maui, I found absolutely nothing great about the 2 average sized rooms joined together--- especially when you compare it with the food/beverage/layout of Kauai. As a Diamond at both, I found my stays at Kauai to be much better (oceanfront at Kauai, side view of ocean/mountains/other hotels at Maui). But then again, IMO-- nothing compares to the island of Kauai

Last edited by mauld; Jan 19, 2009 at 5:37 pm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:17 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Based upon my last stays (Jan 08 in GH K and Feb 08 in HR Maui)

Room and RC: Kauai the best. Great selection of appetizers and drinks. And UPG no hassle, as at Maui I had to make a call to GP (the CS agent said he called the front desk manager,) to even get RC access as DIA, and even then the front desk said they didn't have to "UPG" me to RC access unless I was on their RC floor. Plus the Maui property appeared very run down. Can't beat the look of the GH K. Great pools, though I do like the waterfalls at the HR Maui pool, gives a decent water massage. And the prices at HR Maui seem out of line with the facility quality.

Spa and fitness rooms: Kauai no question.

Nightlife: Maui no question. Probably need a car at either anyway. Or you can walk to Whaler's Village up from the HR Maui, but not much but restaurants and a few bars. Though it is hard to find a bar open on Kauai after 10PM, though I didn't look very hard.

Beaches: While the beach infront of the HR Maui is better than the rocky Poipu beach, especially Shipwreack, I prefer to bodysurf and the best there is Kauai, at Secret Beach south of Princeville. Maui has great bodysurfing at Hamoa, but it is quite a drive on the road to Hana. For snorkeling, the end of the road on Kauai is best.

Last edited by rbAA; Jan 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by rbAA
For snorkeling, the end of the road on Kauai is best.
Meaning looping all the around the east side of the island past Princeville to the north side of the island to Ke'e beach (aka the trailhead for the Napali Coast trail)? The one time I was there the fish were pretty good but I had to fight a bit of a riptide. Or meaning Tunnels, when you can get in? My one complaint about Kauai has been inconsitent snorkeling.

Last edited by jayer; Jan 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:45 pm

On Kauai, the snorkling at Beach House is generally pretty good.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Have definitely "locked in" 2 nights at GH K for a Regency Club room for this December after reviewing this thread and also from what I've found on FT regarding GH Maui. We know that Kauai is "laid back" and finding a bar open after 10PM is difficult (other than hotel lounge)... that's OK with us. We're more interested in daytime activity and GH K more than delivered with great pool etc. Just wished mother nature was a bit more cooperative this trip... heavy afternoon downpours on 2 occasions that lasted a bit longer than expected with a bit of thunder added in (so couldn't use pools). After trying to "wait it out" decided to just "head west" though it seemed to be raining all around. Had already experienced alot of "wet" up North in Princeville and H Bay the full week earlier but also was expecting it and came prepared with umbrellas and beach umbrellas. Just got used to getting a bit wet or just jumping in ocean when it started. Just put a bit of a damper on the hike from Ke'e Beach...
Can't wait for fourth straight December in Kauai... just wished it wasn't such a haul from CT 'cause we can't stay longer than 10 days. GH Kauai will be a bit of heaven before heading back to the cold NE.
Carolyn
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by jayer
Meaning looping all the around the east side of the island past Princeville to the north side of the island to Ke'e beach (aka the trailhead for the Napai Coast trail)? The one time I was there the fish were pretty good but I had to fight a bit of a riptide. Or meaning Tunnels, when you can get in? My one complaint about Kauai has been inconsitent snorkeling.
I'd like to know this too - Had no idea snorkeling was good at end of the road, but the sunsets there are amazing.

Edit - Found answer in other forum - as you mentioned Ke'e not advisable with riptides and only ok at best -

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Jan 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm Reason: Found answer in Hawaii forum
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:59 am

If you love Maui Gold pineapples, then take the pineapple field tour offered by the Maui Pineapple Company (ask the Hyatt Concierge to book you). You can look up the MPC's web site, too, for tour info. Nothing fresher than picking a pineapple off the plant, slicing it open and devouring it right there! Plus you can take one (sometimes more) home. If you want to get it to the mainland US, be sure to rinse it thoroughly, and have it pre-inspected by the USDA at the Kapalua (West Maui) airport, first. Takes only a few mins. The pineapple will only be "fresh" for a couple days, so don't try this if it'll be a week before you get home. The RC staff can lend you plates and a knife to cut up your take-home, or they can do it for you.

Hyatt Maui is an older hotel, compared to Kauai -- showing some signs of aging, but they're renovating in some areas. The entire Kaanapali resort area was one of the first master-planned resort/destination communities decades ago. Many of the former hotels have gone condo now. So far, not the Hyatt.

Suggestion, if you don't mind small prop. planes...fly into the West Maui (Kapalua, airport code JHM) airport. We always try for that whenever possible. Taxi from the West Maui airport (which is in the middle of pineapple fields!) is about $20 inc. tip, and takes about 10-15 mins. to the Hyatt. If you are lucky to share the taxi with some other couple, you can sometimes split the cost, too. Last year, we made it from the Honolulu airport to poolside at the Hyatt Maui -- complete with swimsuits and drinks -- in exactly an hour and 25 mins. by going via West Maui airport. Room wasn't ready, but we checked in, stored our bags and changed to swimsuits in the RC restroom. If we'd gone via the main Kahului airport we'd probably still be in baggage claim or stuck in traffic on the other side of the island.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
While others seem to rave about the RC in Maui, I found absolutely nothing great about the 2 average sized rooms joined together--- especially when you compare it with the food/beverage/layout of Kauai. As a Diamond at both, I found my stays at Kauai to be much better (oceanfront at Kauai, side view of ocean/mountains/other hotels at Maui). But then again, IMO-- nothing compares to the island of Kauai
The HR Maui RC is actually 4 average sized rooms joined together. I know cuz I had the Regency Suite right underneath it last time I was there so I looked at the room layout maps and compared to my Suite. The Regency is the size of 3 rooms and the actually RC one floor above it has an extra lockoff (one of the ones on each side of the main RC room) for a total of 4 rooms.

But I agree with you, the RC (and the hotel itself) doesn't compare to GH Kauai.......................^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.