Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are my Hyatt expectations too high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are my Hyatt expectations too high?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HHonors, Priority Club
Thumbs down Are my Hyatt expectations too high?

Was recently status matched by Hyatt at Diamond level and am giving them 4 nights this week. I just need to take the temp of the FT expertise to see if I am just expecting too much compared to my other hotels.

I had a confirmed reserved king at a negotiated conference rate. On check-in was told my room had been "given away" and they were not sure why. Was offered one night on a lock-off fold out (yes, for real) or a two room king suite. I was told that either way, I'd have to check back in the morning to get a "permanent" room assignment. Also at check-in I filled out an amenity form and was told to expect those items in the next hour (they never came). Under my door within an hour after check-in was slipped breakfast buffet comps, which may be a "make up for our error" kind of product.

On visiting the front desk the next morning I asked if I could wait for their inventory to free up and hope for a decent room. I was told their inventory would not free up and that I would be assigned a room immediately to ensure I got something for the next 3 nights. Again I filled out my amenities request and I was assigned a small low floor king with no view and construction noise from below. No amenities ever showed up (again). So, that's where I am.

I guess my question here is this as good as it gets for a Hyatt Diamond? A fine reading of the Diamond program says they've done all they are obligated to do since I got a "best available room" and my breakfast comps. Is that it? Compared to my Starwood and Hilton experiences, I am just shaking my head wondering if maybe my expectations are too high? TIA
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:02 pm

Hello, you got screwed over. I wouldn't accept this kind of treatment at any hotel, let alone think this is Diamond treatment. What location was this?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

Totally unacceptable - and very much at odds with my experience as a Diamond.

First off, your bedding is guaranteed. They owe you points for not having the type that you booked available for you.

Second, you get breakfast as a diamond. So those coupons were due you, and were not a replacement for your diamond amenity.

Third, it's unacceptable for them to not get you your diamond amenity.

Ask for a meeting with the duty manager and discuss these things. If he fails to give you points for the bedding mix up, take it up with Customer Service.

By any chance, is the hotel a conference hotel? My worst Hyatt stay was at a hotel that is a conference hotel. They are going to get their business whether they have elites stay or not. But that doesn't excuse them. They are obliged to deliver the program benefits.

It's a shame that your first stay as a diamond has been so unimpressive. Hyatt has been blowing me away the last several months with exceptional service on my stays.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Did the conference caused the hotel to be filled (as best as you could tell)?

If so, this may have limited the hotel's ability to upgrade you.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Not good. Not to defend what happened but perhaps your reservation was made before you became a Diamond - so the hotel didn't "know" that you were a Diamond. Hyatt's computers is not programmed to rerun guest status after the reservation was made. My biggest coup was for my partner's conference in SF in 5/03 - I Pricelined the (then) Park Hyatt for $75 - became a Diamond - called to update my status - got a Suite & breakfast all for that rate when the whole city was sold out.

The breakfast certificates were due you as a Diamond unless its a property with a Club lounge (to which you're entitled access in the US as a Diamond).

If you don't get the welcome amenity - call CS and have them give you 1,000 points (for the welcome amenity) - and while you're at it invoke the bed type guarantee (5,000 points).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
hey op, if you think your expectations are too high now; just come over to Marriott where they (MR) will beat you into submission over and over again.. then Hyatt will look pretty darn good
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I'm only a Platinum with Hyatt (but it is my primary hotel allegiance) and wouldn't have put up with the "musical rooms" bit; would have invoked the room guarantee for 5,000 points immediately.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

OK, I did a better job of googling, and found this about the bedding guarantee:

Gold Passport Ts & Cs

Platinum and Diamond Bed Type Guarantee

Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum and Diamond members will be guaranteed the bed type (i.e., king, queen, double, etc.) for the room type selected at the time of reservation. The bed type guarantee is only available at participating Hyatt Hotels & Resorts worldwide except Century Hyatt Tokyo. If the hotel is unable to honor the bed type at check-in, members will receive 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points, and their room will be changed the next day for the requested bed type. The bed type guarantee does not apply to room upgrades. In order to qualify for the guarantee, the member’s Hyatt Gold Passport number and bed type preference must be included on the reservation. Reservations made through Meeting Planners, travel agents and wholesalers must include this information in order to be included in the guarantee. The guarantee is not valid on reservations booked through third-party websites such as, but not limited to, Expedia, Priceline and Hotels.com. Platinum and Diamond members who make a reservation on the same day he/she plans to arrive at the hotel or who walks into a hotel without a reservation is not eligible to receive the guarantee. The maximum benefit is 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points per room, per stay, regardless of the number of people in the room. Guarantee only applies to the member’s room regardless of the number of rooms for which the member pays. If a member believes that compensation is due with respect to the bed type guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to checkout will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation. Limited bed types may be available during certain high-demand periods or special events. Bed type guarantees do not apply to AmeriSuites, Hyatt Place or Hyatt Summerfield Suites. Bed type guarantees do not apply to Hyatt Grand Bed™ availability. Hyatt Grand Bed availability may vary by property.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:58 pm
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
OK, I did a better job of googling, and found this about the bedding guarantee:

Gold Passport Ts & Cs

Platinum and Diamond Bed Type Guarantee

Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum and Diamond members will be guaranteed the bed type (i.e., king, queen, double, etc.) for the room type selected at the time of reservation. The bed type guarantee is only available at participating Hyatt Hotels & Resorts worldwide except Century Hyatt Tokyo. If the hotel is unable to honor the bed type at check-in, members will receive 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points, and their room will be changed the next day for the requested bed type. The bed type guarantee does not apply to room upgrades. In order to qualify for the guarantee, the member’s Hyatt Gold Passport number and bed type preference must be included on the reservation. Reservations made through Meeting Planners, travel agents and wholesalers must include this information in order to be included in the guarantee. The guarantee is not valid on reservations booked through third-party websites such as, but not limited to, Expedia, Priceline and Hotels.com. Platinum and Diamond members who make a reservation on the same day he/she plans to arrive at the hotel or who walks into a hotel without a reservation is not eligible to receive the guarantee. The maximum benefit is 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points per room, per stay, regardless of the number of people in the room. Guarantee only applies to the member’s room regardless of the number of rooms for which the member pays. If a member believes that compensation is due with respect to the bed type guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to checkout will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation. Limited bed types may be available during certain high-demand periods or special events. Bed type guarantees do not apply to AmeriSuites, Hyatt Place or Hyatt Summerfield Suites. Bed type guarantees do not apply to Hyatt Grand Bed™ availability. Hyatt Grand Bed availability may vary by property.
A bit off topic, but just curious - if my bed type cannot be honoured and the hotel wants to upgrade me to a suite, can I refuse the upgrade and still take the 5K points?

Back to the topic, my Hyatt experience has been above par so far since I got comped to Diamond last year. What the OP experienced was totally unacceptable. I would definitely bring it up to the customer relations (or whatever it is called).

Do you mind telling us what hotel was that?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

First, a few Q&As.

Tummy: This is the Tampa Hyatt Regency downtown. I checked in the Sat eve at 9pm of the waning Gasparilla Pirate Fest, but I've checking to places in college bowl weeks, NCAA tourneys and other nutso weekends...never had an issue and a pre-call to the hotel indicated they were ready and able.

San Diego 1K - I've got a hole in my schedule tomorrow and will give a short discussion with the duty mgr. At least now I know what to argue for (5K pts at the least). If no luck, it is off to the CS line for a discussion there.

Peteropny: The res and confirmation were under my diamond number and reservations just gushed about all the steps they'd trip over themselves to do good things and welcome welcome welcome...it was genuine and I was excited. I'll go for the 1K pts on that amenity failure. Just a real CF all the way around.

TrojanHorse: No desire to status match to Mariott, lol, for ummm, obvious reasons.

Thanks ^^ to all posters. The hotel isn't a primary conference facility but is a nice downtown hotel among many others. I just wasn't sure and there aren't a whole ton of Hyatt Diamonds I know that I can call but this board seemed the best spot. We'll see if they make this right and if not, either way I'll post it here after my Wed am checkout. Right now I am just focused on other business and this is a low priority distraction. Thanks again to all posters and I'll follow up.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:17 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Assuming the OP took the suite with a King Bed for the first night and not the fold out, he always had at a minimum his reserved room type, at worst he got an upgrade the first night then a downgrade to his reserved room type.

I'm kind of curious what Hyatt matched to get him to Diamond based on his profile, I hope his profile is out of date and Hyatt doesn't match SPG Gold and/or Hilton Gold to Hyatt Diamond.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Beckles said---I'm kind of curious what Hyatt matched to get him to Diamond based on his profile, I hope his profile is out of date and Hyatt doesn't match SPG Gold and/or Hilton Gold to Hyatt Diamond.----

Profile is up to date. I requested a match at HHhonors gold, sent in my Hilton stay record for 2008, and Hyatt gave me Diamond until 2/10 with a 25 stay challenge to keep it. I consider this a great thing, which is why I am so bummed.

Beckles said---Assuming the OP took the suite with a King Bed for the first night and not the fold out, he always had at a minimum his reserved room type, at worst he got an upgrade the first night then a downgrade to his reserved room type.---

I did take the two room King (but still, offering a fold out?). I suppose Hyatt can argue exactly your point at a literal reading of the rules. I'm just supposing if that is the way Hyatt chooses to take care of business, it's back to my consistent and flawless service for *wood and HHonors and no matter the status, it just isn't worth the time. Thanks for your thoughts, though.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by shakennotstirred
Profile is up to date. I requested a match at HHhonors gold, sent in my Hilton stay record for 2008, and Hyatt gave me Diamond until 2/10 with a 25 stay challenge to keep it. I consider this a great thing, which is why I am so bummed.
The status match is nice, but the "challenge" doesn't sound like much -- it takes 25 stays per year to get to Diamond, anyway.

As for your original question, I have had some mediocre experiences lately, but then again, I am staying at some of the bottom-of-the-barrel properties (e.g., Crystal City and Fair Lakes, VA). I've experienced inconsistent benefits, non-functioning guest room features, and inept front desk staff.

I have also been disappointed in the Hyatt Place integration. A couple of recent stays at Hyatt Place BWI still haven't posted to my account, and when I checked in, the front desk agent told me that they had no mechanism to enter the G1 offer code into the reservation.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
My first two disparate hypotheses were that this was the Hyatt O'Hare (not "Rosemont") and/or that you were run over by a convention tsunami. I've had this treatment at the Hyatt O'Hare (the Murphy bed - twice!). And I've been at both ends of the "tsunami" in which a convention host with a big spend bargains to get their senior executives and kissin' clients all the suites and Regency Club rooms -- and then completes the coup on site. That's a nasty "fact of life" if you're on the short end, and never-quite-deserved by those on the good end -- and never fair. The other thing that can screw things up is a very late arrival, though that hasn't resulted in the ol' Murph in a long time...

All that's really left is the points compensation. Run that one all the way to Hyatt customer care, if necessary, especially with the leverage that they just wooed you. They have the means to take care of you.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:36 pm

I haven't read many good things about the Tampa Regency, but have stayed at the Tampa Grand many times and it has always been great. It also use to appear on PL pretty often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.