Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by ainternational
Agreed, but that said, I think the current DOR tries hard. It's the mid level and lower staff that really make the difference here to me. From Sean to the concierge team. The front desk folks and operator need major upgrades though.

Indeed, I had a little run in with the sneaky lift this past time around. Not exactly my proudest moment very early (or should I say _very_ late) in the morning hours lol.
Sean is old school.

He is really nice. The DOR came from PH Seoul. I was there the first week he was in office. He was stubborn and made sure everyone followed his lead, including hiring new FOM that had no association with the former ones.

He was very dismissive about all the flaws the hotel has. Maybe he has learnt the hard way that this isn't the way to go.

That being said, I am not particularly keen on giving them another go.....
Old May 1, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by GRUflyer

That being said, I am not particularly keen on giving them another go.....
Fair enough. Do you prefer another Hyatt over the PH? Would be curious for you to compare and contrast. Would love to hear it. I stayed at the GH years ago - not my style, also the same crappy location. HOTB too. Andaz not yet.

Thoughts and experiences?
Old May 1, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by SMK77
I would disagree with your statement. This is an absolute top notch hotel with very spacious rooms thanks to the very high ceilings and the interior is very nicely done. The view is a very nice additional perk but even without the view I would recommend the PH over the GH.
And I disagree with yours. The rooms are amazing but the view is essentially what some will book there for. Its like being in a coffin with the windows fogged day and night with less than 5 metres visibility. Much rather be lower down and be able to look out my window at the GH in a club room.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Will the property allow 2 adults and 1 child in the 2 bed rooms? Child is 8 yo. I can't imagine they make the guest pay for another room.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:24 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Will the property allow 2 adults and 1 child in the 2 bed rooms? Child is 8 yo. I can't imagine they make the guest pay for another room.
I've had clients do this without any issues..you should be fine
Old May 3, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by ainternational
Fair enough. Do you prefer another Hyatt over the PH? Would be curious for you to compare and contrast. Would love to hear it. I stayed at the GH years ago - not my style, also the same crappy location. HOTB too. Andaz not yet.

Thoughts and experiences?
There is life outside of HYATT..........

I usually stay in the Old French Concession Area now (business moved to this area) and I quite like the "Twelve at Hengshan" Luxury Collection Hotel by Starwood.

Big rooms, modern, service is OK and the area is just much better if you want to mingle with the expat community.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
And I disagree with yours. The rooms are amazing but the view is essentially what some will book there for. Its like being in a coffin with the windows fogged day and night with less than 5 metres visibility. Much rather be lower down and be able to look out my window at the GH in a club room.
The room from what I remember was really nice. I did have visibility issues due to weather though. On a clear night the view is spectacular. The biggest downside for this property is the location. Not really near much unless you are there on business. For tourism it might be better to stay in a different area. Still its easier to get in and out of there than the Park Hyatt in Beijing was.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:26 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Booked the PH over NYE for a few days at a refundable rate, not sure if I'm wasting time there vs. somewhere else...not sure anything is going on, we're there to visit some friends.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Used a TSU here on a P+C stay and received the Diplomat Suite on the 88th floor. Amazing suite and stay overall with some minor hiccups, one being that all lights suddenly came on in the middle of the night on my last night which made me lose a bit of sleep. The other being that I still haven't received any points/nights for the stay - will log a claim today.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The property apparently has now opened up the Bund View Suite for Diamond Suite Upgrades as well.

Made a reservation and called in to apply a DSU but was surprised to be given two choices: Park Suite and Bund View Suite.

A welcome change from all the upgrade games in the past. Talking about games, no Standard Rooms available yet all of the OTA's are selling them.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Booked the PH over NYE for a few days at a refundable rate, not sure if I'm wasting time there vs. somewhere else...not sure anything is going on, we're there to visit some friends.
I wrote you a PM. You'll be happy at the PH Shanghai IMHO. As far as the breakfast goes, on New Years Day (Jan 1) the restaurant is usually unavailable because there is a NYE Party at Century 100 the night before. I strongly recommend getting tickets for that party as it's excellent!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We visited and checked out this property and the RC while staying at the Peninsula Shanghai several years ago. The suites here were undergoing renovation at the time. We still were very impressed with this hotel and it’s service...and that’s saying something,I think, considering I list the Peninsula Shanghai as one of my favorite 13 stays of all time.

So this review describing lackluster and disappointing service here at the PH Shanghai is concerning:

Review: Park Hyatt Shanghai (Suite) - Live and Let's Fly

I have to confess having similarly lackluster experience while checking out the PH Vienna in Oct...but not at all when staying at the PH Sydney in May. I’m hoping this review and my Vienna experiences are blips and not reflective of a downward trend with PH service.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
The room from what I remember was really nice. I did have visibility issues due to weather though. On a clear night the view is spectacular. The biggest downside for this property is the location. Not really near much unless you are there on business. For tourism it might be better to stay in a different area. Still its easier to get in and out of there than the Park Hyatt in Beijing was.
Its a pleasant 10-minute walk to the Bund ferry, which leaves very 30 minutes on the hour and half hour and takes 10 minutes and costs a mere CNY 2!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:24 pm

Would you burn 2 free night (from the prior CC offering) for PH Shanghai? Is it worth it?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:30 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by ponickka
Would you burn 2 free night (from the prior CC offering) for PH Shanghai? Is it worth it?
I'd say no, given how affordable PH PVG can be had for. try burning it in Paris or NYC.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.