Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:47 am

Yeah, they are playing games lately... owner loathes DSU.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:35 am

I was able to apply a DSU for my upcoming stay next week. There were no Park Suites available, but I emailed the hotel and asked if I could use a DSU for the Bund View Suite, and they said yes.

I was originally booked in a Bund View King through Amex FHR.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ap1731
I was able to apply a DSU for my upcoming stay next week. There were no Park Suites available, but I emailed the hotel and asked if I could use a DSU for the Bund View Suite, and they said yes.

I was originally booked in a Bund View King through Amex FHR.
We stayed in this type suite...!the more accurate term for our stay was Smog View Suite. Still it's quite spacious and nice.

Fdw
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by myko85
Thanks Colin. I tried calling Hyatt and the agent told me tough luck. Property can do whatever it wants
You should write to Hyatt corporate and complain about the property. I certainly did.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I wrote to them asking to apply a DSU because the inventory appeared to be blocked. They agreed but said it would be for a non-bund view suite. We'll see what happens in December...
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:16 pm

I have stayed here... in the Chairman Suite.

FREAKING UNBELIEVABLE.

2000+ sf - the suite is so huge that it has 3 entrances.
2 toilets with Japanese-style automatic flush, plus sensor activated and heated toilet seats.
Fully equipped kitchen with Baccarat crystal glassware.
Study.
Nespresso machine.
Humongous sofa that seats 12.
Dining table for 6.
Rain shower that fits 3.
Japanese style bath that fits 2 comfortably.
Walk in wardrobe.
6 meter high ceilings with full view of The Bund.
Large (god knows how many inches!) flat screen TV.

I ALMOST GOT LOST IN THERE!

This hotel does have some deficiencies though, which they are aware and rectifying, amongst others:
- Lack of signages (apparently the designer's contract forbids any visual changes to the property until the initial period is over).
- Overly dim lighting (same designer challenge mentioned above)
- Brown panels throughout the hotel became sticky since opening due to humidity (which results in massive rectification at equally massive cost)
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:11 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
IMHO the Peninsula is the best in town...

However, if you can apply a DSU at PH then it's absolutely the best value by far...for those who have issues finding Park Suites available for DSU. Feel free to PM or email me and I can connect with my contact/friend there to see if the Bund View Suite can be used for DSU instead for my bookings/clients.

Note I can only do this for you if you're booking under Pre-paid or Standard Daily Rates, not for Cash and Points.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
IMHO the Peninsula is the best in town...

However, if you can apply a DSU at PH then it's absolutely the best value by far...for those who have issues finding Park Suites available for DSU. Feel free to PM or email me and I can connect with my contact/friend there to see if the Bund View Suite can be used for DSU instead for my bookings/clients.

Note I can only do this for you if you're booking under Pre-paid or Standard Daily Rates, not for Cash and Points.
Wish I had seen this earlier! I am currently at PHS - half of my stay in a Deluxe King, half in a DSU-upgraded Park Suite King that I'm moving into today. Couldn't get them to budge on the Bund View Suite when I called/emailed prior to the trip
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I made my reservation on Thursday for Sunday to Tuesday night when the prepaid rate dropped to a reasonable level. However, I couldn't apply my DSU. I am in a Bund view King, which is nice enough. Foggy tonight, cannot even see the buildings next door.

The walls, built-in furniture dark surfaces are sticky to the touch, definitely a problem. I am not aware that there are such lousy finishes that get sticky in high humidity environment. If this is the work of the architect, then he/she knows nothing of materials.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:32 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by CIT85
I made my reservation on Thursday for Sunday to Tuesday night when the prepaid rate dropped to a reasonable level. However, I couldn't apply my DSU. I am in a Bund view King, which is nice enough. Foggy tonight, cannot even see the buildings next door.

The walls, built-in furniture dark surfaces are sticky to the touch, definitely a problem. I am not aware that there are such lousy finishes that get sticky in high humidity environment. If this is the work of the architect, then he/she knows nothing of materials.
Agreed that the view is a complete toss up, dependent on the weather.

The sticky feel of the furniture is an application that was intentionally applied due to protect it due to the altitude. I can't remember the exact science behind it but I did discuss it with management when I was there last. During original opening, they did not have the sticky finish and it caused some issues/decaying.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Agreed that the view is a complete toss up, dependent on the weather.

The sticky feel of the furniture is an application that was intentionally applied due to protect it due to the altitude. I can't remember the exact science behind it but I did discuss it with management when I was there last. During original opening, they did not have the sticky finish and it caused some issues/decaying.
480 meters does not equal "high altitude".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rage_elevation
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:34 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by moondog

I think they meant the building being at 90+ floors (clouds are literally passing through outside your window at times) not necessarily the city of Shanghai itself...either way, I'm simply stating that is what they said, nothing more.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog

My guess would be they sourced the furniture locally. Anyone that's sourced in China will easily understand.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmglobal
My guess would be they sourced the furniture locally. Anyone that's sourced in China will easily understand.
Thanks for the Monday morning chuckle. I had to grin at that one.

The sticky paneling everywhere was off-putting during my stay, but the views were spectacular.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:42 pm

I freaking love FT, as I have lamented the sticky furniture at PHS many times.

Answer: it's by design. The furniture has been sticky since day 1!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.