Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My recommendation for those who want to stay at a Hyatt in this area is, for now, to stick with the club level on the Grand Hyatt.
I was in Shanghai the day of the "grand opening" celebration but stayed at the Hyatt on the Bund. I wanted to try out the PH but my concern was that all of the available rates appeared to be the rack rate during the soft opening period. If I'm going to pay NYC rates, I'm going to be disappointed with soft opening options.

Maybe next year.

For the money (and location), my favorite PRC Hyatt is still GZ.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Has anyone experienced what benefits are given to Diamonds? Does the hotel give free breakfast or a room upgrade?
When I asked, they told me that I could eat breakfast in the restaurant and it would be credited. I didn't try it because so much else was going wrong with my stay that I wanted to avoid an argument at checkout. There is a Mister Donut, a Lawson convenience store, and a Starbucks on the ground floor of the building, and a food court in the basement. These are all possible options.

The GM told me I was upgraded but at the time I was there, it couldn't be to a suite since no suites were finished.

Followup: since my stay, I have written to the GM. After resending my email, he finally replied. The response was mildly but not hugely encouraging. They are indeed charging rack, NYC rates, for a soft opening experience, as the above poster indicated. For now, I stand by my original recommendation: wait a while before considering this hotel.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:44 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
When I asked, they told me that I could eat breakfast in the restaurant and it would be credited. I didn't try it because so much else was going wrong with my stay that I wanted to avoid an argument at checkout. There is a Mister Donut, a Lawson convenience store, and a Starbucks on the ground floor of the building, and a food court in the basement. These are all possible options.

The GM told me I was upgraded but at the time I was there, it couldn't be to a suite since no suites were finished.

Followup: since my stay, I have written to the GM. After resending my email, he finally replied. The response was mildly but not hugely encouraging. They are indeed charging rack, NYC rates, for a soft opening experience, as the above poster indicated. For now, I stand by my original recommendation: wait a while before considering this hotel.
I think I see it as a worthwhile place to use my FFNs, even with a soft opening. Or should I just go next door?

-Brian
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briantoronto
I think I see it as a worthwhile place to use my FFNs, even with a soft opening. Or should I just go next door?

-Brian
Fine for FFN's, especially given they are evidentally still forcing rack rate down us suckers who pay for a room. Just don't expect service to be anywhere near the level at other Park Hyatts. For an FFN, you wouldn't likely get club level at the GH, that's another factor.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:42 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Fine for FFN's, especially given they are evidentally still forcing rack rate down us suckers who pay for a room. Just don't expect service to be anywhere near the level at other Park Hyatts. For an FFN, you wouldn't likely get club level at the GH, that's another factor.
Thanks. Given I am not a Diamond, I never expect such luxuries such as club floors
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Uploaded some pictures of Park Hyatt Shanghai, enjoy!

Park Breakfast offered in the Living Room, located @ lobby, costs RMB$240.00 plus 15% tax/surcharge, waived for Diamond members. Served by all-you-can eat style, you can order all items at the same price if you want! - almost the same items as Park Hyatt Beijing as well.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
Have you set the page as "private"? Can't access it.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:31 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Have you set the page as "private"? Can't access it.
Now it should be "Public" and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:08 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Great photos! You should also write a trip report.

Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:28 am
Community Director Emerita

What wonderful photography.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Very nice, thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Transport from PVG and getting to from GH PVG.

Thanks for the excellent reports. I will be coming into PVG. Can someone comment on transport to/from? Anyone have experience with airline Lounges there? I flew out of PVG on ANA and remember a Lounge. Also I will be changing to the GH PVG for a try. Any comment. Should I take a cab? Any comments on current treatment of Diamonds appreciated? It did take us a while to get the GH Tokyo flying right. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thanks for the excellent reports. I will be coming into PVG. Can someone comment on transport to/from? Anyone have experience with airline Lounges there? I flew out of PVG on ANA and remember a Lounge. Also I will be changing to the GH PVG for a try. Any comment. Should I take a cab? Any comments on current treatment of Diamonds appreciated? It did take us a while to get the GH Tokyo flying right. Thanks.
The STAR lounge at PVG T2 is the Shanghai Airlines lounge which is a mezzanine open space design. I found both the food and drink offering rather limited though, so don't expect much. I was flying NH about two months ago.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Park Breakfast offered in the Living Room, located @ lobby, costs RMB$240.00 plus 15% tax/surcharge, waived for Diamond members. Served by all-you-can eat style, you can order all items at the same price if you want! - almost the same items as Park Hyatt Beijing as well.
Wow...Looking out that window is quite something! Thanks for the photo tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.