Required to show Diamond card???

Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Required to show Diamond card???

I just checked into the Hyatt Vineyard Creek Resort/Spa in Santa Rosa CA. This is NOT my first stay at the property. At check in, the desk clerk told me he needed to see my Diamond card (I said nothing...)

me: "I don't have it with me."

him: "hmmmm"

me: "Does this pose a problem?"

him: "Well it could. You are supposed to carry it with you."

me: "Really? Did the information not transfer over with my reservation."

him: "Yeah, well it did but its like your AAA card... you are supposed to show it to get the benefits."

me: "That's highly bizarre. I can understand the AAA because I could say I'm a member when I'm not to take a discount... but if Hyatt transmits my Diamond number, I can't exactly fake that."

him: "Well, you are supposed to have it with you."

me: (grumble, grumble) "I don't have it. Is it a problem? Do you want to see my photo id to show that it is me? Should I call reservations?"

him: "No, but next time have your card." (he then - somewhat reluctantly in my opinion - handed over my breakfast certificate and amenity choice slip)

I'm new as a Diamond this year... and this was so different than anything I've experienced my years with other programs (including multiple top-tier years with several programs).

Is this normal? Do I need to make room in my wallet to always have my card? I will if this is different than other programs... but I'm just not the card flashing type and I almost felt like I was being accused of trying to take advantage of something I'm not supposed to have.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:02 pm

I have been diamond for 12 yrs and have never needed my card for upgrades or breakky coupons.
though I do carry it.
when travelling for checkin
I think this person must have been new and trying to exert their authority
- or jealous of your upgrade and perks
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:16 pm

LOL, I've never heard of anything like this either in my years with Hyatt. Sounds like the front desk agent needs some re-training.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:38 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've never heard of this either - I do have it in my "travel wallet" though.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:45 pm

This agent needs some training. You are entitled to Diamond benefits by virtue of the business you have bestowed on Hyatt, not because you are carrying a card.

If there's any doubt about that, then next time you can ask him whether he would bestow Diamond benefits on someone else to whom you loan your card to.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

techgirl, how very strange. Believe me, that is an aberration.

Hope you are enjoying being Hyatt diamond - I find it a great program.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:05 am

Been to Hyatt Vineyard Creek before (and, in fact, heading there this weekend), and
never had to show my Diamond card at this or any other property. Although my usual
routine at all properties is to hand them my Diamond card anyway, as soon as I walk up and
they ask my name (which is not spelled how it's pronounced, so it's just easier/faster
to "show" how it's spelled). Plus, I hope that seeing the diamond status reminds any
trainee clerk to give me my benefits without my having to ask or "remind" them.
I hate having to pull rank and make a scene to get benefits...that's happened a
few times in the past at some properties. Since I've been showing the card, it's not
been a problem.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Very strange indeed... Every time I showed my Card, I was told that the information was already in the reservation, and no need for the card!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I can't see what's wrong with asking for the card. Same as airlines when using FF elite benefits. When I travel, I carry the card of each program I will be dealing with, as well as one or two for contingency if I have to book a different hotel chain or fly a different airline. It's a basic travel kit that includes passport, NEXUS card and appropriate currencies.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: ICHG Platinum RoyalAmb, HiltonHonors Gold, AClub Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Spg Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I can't see what's wrong with asking for the card. Same as airlines when using FF elite benefits. When I travel, I carry the card of each program I will be dealing with, as well as one or two for contingency if I have to book a different hotel chain or fly a different airline. It's a basic travel kit that includes passport, NEXUS card and appropriate currencies.
So do I !
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
I suspect this was an isolated case more indicative of the horrible customer service typically offered up by the Hyatt Vineyard Creek. They seem to have a difficult time hiring competent staff at this hotel.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
You only need to show the card if Gold Passport says you need to show it to get the benefits ,which is not the case.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Thanks for all the replies. I've stayed that property several times as a Platinum with no problems in the past.

My thought was that he might have thought I didn't "look" like a Diamond... I was tired from a day of travel, hair in ponytail, jeans, flip flops, very casual bag with me, and staying on a very low AAA rate. I thought maybe he suspected I was staying on someone else's status or something.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by techgirl
I'm new as a Diamond this year... and this was so different than anything I've experienced my years with other programs (including multiple top-tier years with several programs).

Is this normal? Do I need to make room in my wallet to always have my card? I will if this is different than other programs... but I'm just not the card flashing type and I almost felt like I was being accused of trying to take advantage of something I'm not supposed to have.
It's far from usual in my experience for normal bookings but I carry the card around always because I use it on PCLN stays for when I haven't cared to call in to get the Diamond number added to the reservation before showing up at the hotel.

I have had check-in staff at Hilton and Starwood branded hotels do the same kind of thing as this Hyatt front desk did to you, but at none of these brands is it usual to have someone demand the status card for bookings made directly with the hotel/hotel brand either over the phone or online.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 4:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Agreed on the card: In my 10th year as a Diamond and have never been asked for my card to prove my status.

As important as reporting this on FT is to report it to the Front Office Supervisor or manager on duty. I've had enough hotel managers tell me, "we can't fix it if you don't tell us it's broken". It's true. Most managers are really grateful to get information on experiences like yours, so that they can speak to the agent. You escalated the issue to Flyertalk, which doesn't really pose a problem to the hotel. Someone else might not speak to the hotel and escalate it to Consumer Affairs as a complaint letter. That's not something that any hotel, even one with an excellent record, wants to get. A polite conversation with a manager at a hotel where one stays frequently can also build great relationships which can be a benefit on future stays.

Also - sad but true, there are agents who will treat guests differently based on their style of dress. It's not 1950, and people don't dress up for planes and hotels anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.