Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Will be at Melbourne in January. Debating whether to stay here or the GH. Rate is about the same but for $20 more I get a $100 dining credit at PH. I'm not a Diamond so will probably use it on breakfast. Any thoughts?
You could consider booking the Hyatt Privé rate, which usually matches the Standard rate and includes complimentary full daily breakfast for two, a $100 property credit per stay, and a possible confirmed upgrade within 24 hours of booking. Both the GH and PH Melbourne participate in the Privé program.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Just want to add to this thread. If you are a light sleeper at all, make sure you have a room at the end of the hall. You can hear everything in the hallway and the doors slam loudly.

Last night at 1230am I heard a large commotion and walked out to see hotel staff setting up a banquet room a few meters way for an event the following day. I basically told them to shut it down. And they did.

The next day at 5:00pm until 8:00pm, a massive conference is going on right near my room. I can’t comprehend how they can do this. Impossible to have some peace and quiet in the room or even take a nap.

Anyway, lovely rooms, good spa, the best hotel dog, crap hallways. Cheers.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:21 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jerkstore
Just want to add to this thread. If you are a light sleeper at all, make sure you have a room at the end of the hall. You can hear everything in the hallway and the doors slam loudly.

Last night at 1230am I heard a large commotion and walked out to see hotel staff setting up a banquet room a few meters way for an event the following day. I basically told them to shut it down. And they did.

The next day at 5:00pm until 8:00pm, a massive conference is going on right near my room. I can’t comprehend how they can do this. Impossible to have some peace and quiet in the room or even take a nap.

Anyway, lovely rooms, good spa, the best hotel dog, crap hallways. Cheers.
Never has this issue. Were you on the 18th floor so next to The Treasury?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Never has this issue. Were you on the 18th floor so next to The Treasury?
bingo. I made them comp one of my massages.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:38 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Still a Solid Property

Park Hyatt Melbourne

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Park Hyatt Melbourne

1 Parliament Square East Melbourne, VC AU 3002

Still a Solid Property (8 Photos)

Park Hyatt Melbourne

I returned to the PH after a hiatus and for the first time since the refurbishment. I was excited to see how much the property had changed and to meet Canine Ambassador Mr Walker.

I booked the Privé rate as I never prepay and with the inclusions is a no brainer.

I requested the hotel block one of my usual rooms in advance.

Upon entering the lobby I immediately smelt the familiar fragrance and was reminded on how understated and elegant the property is with the marble floors and over $1 million worth of art throughout. Unlike other hotels the PH never feels busy.

Check In

We checked in at 2PM and the process was swift. We were given my favourite room.

The hotel has finally updated the keycards and locks to contactless rather than swipe. Previously, the elevator would require several card inserts which would just get more and more frustrating.

Noticed that the elevator will only go to the floor coded on the key. Other guests were unable to rely on my card to get to their floors.

55882352_10156283090283543_1527497615514

img_3025.jpg

Room

The hotel has over 37 different configurations and I requested one of the Club Deluxe Rooms that has 4 seats of windoes, 2 of which open. There's something about large windows that open in a hotel that just feels special. We had a stunning view over Parliament and the VIC CBD. I have always preferred this side than the Bay behind the hotel.

I noticed the carpets have changed, they updated the furniture including adding two armchairs (but removing the leather work chair), new tables and new soft furnishings.

They finally added USB ports by the bed and powerpoints on both sides.

The bathrooms remain unchanged but they are still stunning with floor to ceiling marble. Our room also had a spa bath.

While on the Hyatt app I saw that Keyless entry was offered so I tested it and it worked. Strangely, the hotel or Hyatt doesn't publicise this functionality.
img_8430.jpg

img_3587.jpg

img_6776.jpg

img_4443.jpg

img_1963.jpg

55803464_10100376782553731_1239017426885

Service

While I have always loved the PH we had two service issues.

The hotel didn't deliver a welcome letter or amenity and my TA had to contact them. A jar of boiled lollies and a bottle of Sparkling water was delivered within minutes. Amenities in the past used to be a bottle of wine, nuts and chocolates, but the hotel appears to be cost cutting.

Dining

The second failure happened at the lobby lounge. After check in we wanted cocktails and a snack and I ordered a Grey Goose Caprioska, and my partner a cocktail off the menu. The Caprisoka was not on the menu but I don't expect this to be an issue at a PH.

30 mins passed and I had to ask again for our order. The waiter delivered our drinks, and spilt mine over my wallet, card and it splashed my iPhone. It's splash proof but he didn't apologise at all. In addition, my drink was clearly not a Caprioska. When I asked what it was he said "Well, what's in a Caprioska?" I was shocked that he would question me in such a manner. He then said "Caprisoka isn't on the menu and the bar is closed." Again, I was shocked that he wouldn't apologise and attempt to fix the issue but instead speak to a guest in such a manner. I asked him to order a Vodka, Lime and Soda instead. He said "With Belvedere" and I said "No, I asked for a Grey Goose."

I've always had great service and this incident wasn't what I've come to expect. I did email the GM who apologise and comped the drinks. He also offered to meet me but I didn't have time.

Breakfast in Radii has always been great with the chef's also cooking items on request. We had Eggs Benedict on both days which didn't disappoint.

We used our credit for dinner in Radii and the Burrata and Hopkins River Beef Scotch Fillet was exceptional. The waiters also deliver a tray of 9 condiments and sauces.

The Park Lounge staff Everyln and Mirna have always been the stars of this property and know their repeat guests well. There used to be two hot offerings in additional to the cold buffet, but this has been reduced to one, however the Salmon and Kingfish were delicious. Strangely, they only stock Irish Whiskley.

Across from Parliament and surrounded by St Patrick's Cathedral and Gardens I have always loved the location of the PH. Collins St is no more than 3 mins away.

Overall

Overall, I had a great stay except for two service issues. The rooms are much better after the refurbishment and the hotel just feels luxurious. I had an event at the GH and was reminded just how contrasting the hotels are with the lobby of the GH feeling like a train station it's so busy.

Mr Walker seems to be a cute gimmick to attract guests who want him on their Insta, but he is adorable.

I would certainly return.

Still a Solid Property

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Melbourne?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: SK Gold
I just made a Privé booking for this hotel and am very much looking forward to my stay. The automated Hyatt response stated a 100 USD hotel credit as benefit. A later follow-up email by the hotel stated 130 AUD. At the current exchange rate that is really more like 87.5 USD and not 100 USD. Is this normal?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Travel4Love
I just made a Privé booking for this hotel and am very much looking forward to my stay. The automated Hyatt response stated a 100 USD hotel credit as benefit. A later follow-up email by the hotel stated 130 AUD. At the current exchange rate that is really more like 87.5 USD and not 100 USD. Is this normal?
Perhaps 10% GST?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Perhaps 10% GST?
I would think more likely that the value is set according to the terms of the program or the hotel's (unfavorable) determination of the interest rate on a periodic basis and not updated frequently to match fluctuations in the exchange rate. Although this reflects an exchange rate that hasn't been seen in 18 months or so, I don't think this is unusual. It's also consistent with my experience with other programs.
bgriff likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:15 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Not that it is really anything but a very trivial issue but the thing I find consumer unfriendly about the $100US credit conversion is not just the fact that despite the $A falling a lot over the last 18 months or so it remains the same, but the fact that they use a different (more accurate) rate reflecting the lower value of the local currency when converting for points etc. They are also pretty hit and miss with the prive amenity which I only seem to get around every second stay.

Checking in today I noticed that Mr. Walker is now featured on the key cards - hope he is getting royalties (at a suitable exchange rate)!
steveholt likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by chad75
Not that it is really anything but a very trivial issue but the thing I find consumer unfriendly about the $100US credit conversion is not just the fact that despite the $A falling a lot over the last 18 months or so it remains the same, but the fact that they use a different (more accurate) rate reflecting the lower value of the local currency when converting for points etc. They are also pretty hit and miss with the prive amenity which I only seem to get around every second stay.
They do remove the Tax which is included in the advertised price.

This means that a room at AUD300 has 9.091% removed giving $273 - this figure is then converted to USD to calculate points.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by chad75

Checking in today I noticed that Mr. Walker is now featured on the key cards - hope he is getting royalties (at a suitable exchange rate)!
I noticed the dog when I stayed recently after a considerable absence.

What is the deal with that???
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by shillard
I noticed the dog when I stayed recently after a considerable absence.

What is the deal with that???
Things are ruff all around?

David
chad75 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:34 pm

It's now the Bark Hyatt

Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by DELee
Things are ruff all around?

David

See yourself out!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by shillard
See yourself out!
Unfortunately, I shall and with my tail between my legs...

David
shillard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.