Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I wish had not chosen this hotel. It's really not personal, it just didn't live up to my expectations of a Park Hyatt. Should others be making a similar choice, it's A data point they deserve to have.
That's why it's important to post reviews. I like knowing peoples experiences, good or bad.

And I guess we all know that it's inevitable that sometimes a stay will disappoint, even when for others it would not be. We all know that people value things differently or that sometimes things go wrong that can set the mood for a whole stay. I know I had those stays at perfectly reasonable properties that I wasn't happy with.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:50 am

I had a disappointing stay last month. Used a DSU and was very pleased with the room,(round bedroom suite on the Cathedral wing).
Very poor wifi, told front desk who sent up young bellman who was very nice but said yes, we were right and someone would call back, (no call back). No newspaper was delivered during the 5 days, even though requested upon check-in. Asked if I wanted points or "the amenity of the day", I asked what it was and FD said "I don't know"; took the points.
Told FD of these issues upon check-out and received nice apologizing email from GM.
In sum, hard product fine, but service issues echo other posts, not terrible, but not up to PH standards.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:17 pm

What's everyone's experience with P&C availability at this hotel? I've been looking for availability for a few weeks and haven't had any luck. Are they very sporadic with availability? I'm looking for February 2016 so I'm thinking it is their summer so the hotel is in high demand.

Any recent data points? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:27 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Chances are they haven't loaded 2016 yet.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Chances are they haven't loaded 2016 yet.
I was able to get half my stay on P&C, but need 2 more nights. I hope you're right and maybe they haven't been loaded in its entirety yet.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:12 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ang2383
I was able to get half my stay on P&C, but need 2 more nights. I hope you're right and maybe they haven't been loaded in its entirety yet.
In that case contact them is the email on the property's webpage and ask.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I'm currently at the Park Hyatt Melbourne, after a stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney.

We got an upgrade to the Terrace Suite. For some reason, the storage in this suite is terrible. There's almost no drawer space, but there is a gap where drawers used to be in the very narrow hallway. We're living out of our suitcases, which feels wrong for a 4 night stay here. Sydney had great storage in a smaller space.

The hot water pressure is low, so you either get Hot and slow, or Warm and fast in the shower.

One day, our house keeping person didn't leave any toilet paper at all, and the roll holder was on the floor under the sink!

One of the doors to the Terrace had no lock at all, and it blew open when we weren't in the room. They fixed this pretty fast, but the lock mechanism isn't the same as the other door.

One side of the bed has no available power, so I'm running cables across the floor to charge my phone at night.

The Park Lounge is fantastic. They are providing great service for my gluten free choices on demand. Although the Satay on Thursday is still my favorite!

The menu in the lobby lounge just changed, but everything we've had there has been great. Better than Sydney.

Our Wi-fi has been good all over the hotel.

In all, I have to keep reminding myself I'm paying a bit over half of Sydney PH to stay here in a bigger room. It's hard not to compare the two, and Melbourne has it's high points, but generally isn't as good.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
I'm currently at the Park Hyatt Melbourne, after a stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney.

We got an upgrade to the Terrace Suite. For some reason, the storage in this suite is terrible. There's almost no drawer space, but there is a gap where drawers used to be in the very narrow hallway. We're living out of our suitcases, which feels wrong for a 4 night stay here. Sydney had great storage in a smaller space.

The hot water pressure is low, so you either get Hot and slow, or Warm and fast in the shower.

One day, our house keeping person didn't leave any toilet paper at all, and the roll holder was on the floor under the sink!

One of the doors to the Terrace had no lock at all, and it blew open when we weren't in the room. They fixed this pretty fast, but the lock mechanism isn't the same as the other door.

One side of the bed has no available power, so I'm running cables across the floor to charge my phone at night.

The Park Lounge is fantastic. They are providing great service for my gluten free choices on demand. Although the Satay on Thursday is still my favorite!

The menu in the lobby lounge just changed, but everything we've had there has been great. Better than Sydney.

Our Wi-fi has been good all over the hotel.

In all, I have to keep reminding myself I'm paying a bit over half of Sydney PH to stay here in a bigger room. It's hard not to compare the two, and Melbourne has it's high points, but generally isn't as good.
I adore the Terrace Suite with views of the cathedral.

My understanding is that the rooms are having a soft refresh, including adding powerpoint to both sides of the bed.

Very odd housekeeping, sounds like they didn't finish the room.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by CRAZ8

I had the exact same experience as you, going from the PH SYD to the PH MEL. The PH SYD is a tough act to beat, but still it was difficult making that adjustment. I had to constantly remind myself I was paying a third at the PH MEL compared to the PH SYD. Anyway, I left after two nights and switched to the GH, which I personally found to be the better hotel because of its bigger gym and friendlier staff.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by carmy
and friendlier staff.
I never found the PH Melbourne staff to be unfriendly, quite the opposite for many people we interacted with. Nathaniel of the lobby lounge went out of his way to write out a number of bars and restaurants both in the city and a short distance away in Fitzroy that was very useful

We also had access to the Club lounge with our room, and Evelyn was friendly (some may find her over-friendly), but the quality of the service suffered a lot when she and the other lady took Sunday night off.

The last part they got wrong was my Fine Hotels and Resorts free night at checkout. The reception person had never heard of what I was talking about, but the manager wasn't far away and it was resolved quickly.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:40 am

Evelyn and Mirna are the stars of the PH MEL.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Evelyn and Mirna are the stars of the PH MEL.
Agree - They are amazing up in the lounge.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
I am at this hotel right now. Just had breakfast and the hostess confirmed that the hot buffet is now included in the diamond breakfast (used to cost $8 AUD). We were upgraded to executive suite...has a fireplace, very nice room. However, no electrical outlets by the bed...which is a negative. Overall, we really like this hotel.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:43 pm

There is no room type called Executive Suite... A Park Suite, perhaps?

I was made to pay the upcharge last month.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
There is no room type called Executive Suite... A Park Suite, perhaps?

I was made to pay the upcharge last month.
I just checked out, I meant to ask exactly what suite I was in but I forgot. I was in room 2051, the first room on the corner when you get off the elevator. The living room and work space were separate from the bedroom. There was a working fireplace in the living room. Sounds like you know this hotel a lot better, but it didn't seem like I was in their entry-level suite? Don't know. I had room service for breakfast this morning and whoever cooked my bacon deserves an international award. I asked for my bacon crispy and the edges were cinged (blackened). Tasty. Lovely hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.