Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Reply

Old Jan 6, 16, 6:06 pm
  #526  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
Programs: First Time Flyer
Posts: 808
Win - The full buffet is now included for Diamonds (no up-charge).

Loss - Since this change it has been appearing on my bill and I have had to ask for it to be manually removed.
penegal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 16, 9:27 am
  #527  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: RDU
Posts: 673
Anyone have a contact at this hotel? I have my parents staying here next month on a guest of honor points booking and want to make sure that they are taken care of (i.e. receive the diamonds benefits without fuss).
Gunner14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:19 pm
  #528  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 682
Does anyone know if we are charged a fee for using our US credit card when paying while checking out? I know some places in Australia charge this fee. Thank you.
cruisingmickey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:51 pm
  #529  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
Programs: First Time Flyer
Posts: 808
Originally Posted by ang2383 View Post
Does anyone know if we are charged a fee for using our US credit card when paying while checking out? I know some places in Australia charge this fee. Thank you.
Duplicate post?

The hotel should disclose the fees at booking AND check-in.

I think it is actually dependent on your rate (and/or hotel policy at each property). If you check your confirmation you should see something like this for the PH Melbourne. This applies to any credit card, American or otherwise.

An additional 3% service fee will apply to the total stay account when paying by Amex and Diners credit cards upon departure.
All other credit cards will incur an additional 1.5% fee which will apply to the total stay upon departure. Fee does not apply to prepaid or advanced purchase rates.
Additional Tax, Fees & Service Charges
CREDIT CARD FEE: 1.50%
AMEX/DINERS FEE: 3.00%

NB - This seems to be applied manually, so occasionally the forget to charge you the surcharge.
penegal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:00 pm
  #530  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by penegal View Post
Duplicate post?
.
Thanks penegal for the reply. I guess I'll see next month when I'm there. I'll check my confirmation as well.

Not a duplicate post, sort of. PH Syd might have different policies from Melbourne so thought I'd ask. I encountered another Syd hotel that wanted to charge 1.5% for using my cc to settle the bill in the past.
cruisingmickey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:05 pm
  #531  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,524
Originally Posted by ang2383 View Post
Thanks penegal for the reply. I guess I'll see next month when I'm there. I'll check my confirmation as well.

Not a duplicate post, sort of. PH Syd might have different policies from Melbourne so thought I'd ask. I encountered another Syd hotel that wanted to charge 1.5% for using my cc to settle the bill in the past.
Every hotel pretty much charges this fee now. It's such a joke.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:10 pm
  #532  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
It's simply the fee they pay to process the transaction... so you will pay it anyway, or you could use cash.
RTW1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:17 pm
  #533  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,524
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
It's simply the fee they pay to process the transaction... so you will pay it anyway, or you could use cash.
The actual cost to them is more like

0.86%: MasterCard and Visa
1.93%: American Express
2.11% Diners Club

So don't think they're not making a profit.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/bi...rges_part1.pdf
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:44 pm
  #534  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Sure they do... that's their business. But the quoted Merchant Service Fees are not the only costs they have, although they sometimes also pay less.

But what's important here is that you are given a choice. Pay with some other instrument and avoid the fees, which in most countries are always included in the price.
RTW1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:59 pm
  #535  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: ORD
Posts: 321
Stayed at this property just this past year. Booked under virtuoso rate, upgraded with DSU, and further upgraded to the terrace suites. Excellent stay.

Regarding the CC merchant fees, although there is no virtuoso benefit saying no CC merchant fees, we booked the virtuoso rate from the (only) online virtuoso TA. Their rate details specifically say no credit card merchant fees. So I pointed to this at checkout, and had no trouble having those fees removed at checkout. A few percent is trivial, but for a bill in excess of $1kUSD, it is not trivial, especially when its paying a fee to pay the hotel.
incognitoMD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 16, 3:47 pm
  #536  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Egham, Surrey, UK
Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Posts: 3,397
First world problems

So stayed here some years ago and vowed to never do so again. Found ourselves in Melbourne for a few days most of which were at the GH (Excellent). Thought 1 night at the PH couldn't be that bad.

At check in the young lady was deep in conversation with a colleague and took some time to acknowledge us. Very perfunctory check in with no welcome or explanations.

Cathedral suite (DSU) OK. Wife phoned down for curling tongs - 1. iron was delivered, 2. hair straighteners delivered 3. went to desk and asked again for curling tongs which were delivered but didn't work!

TV in bathroom didn't work.

Went to lounge for breakfast - hadn't been told that wasn't served in lounge. Back down to the restaurant. Coffee was pale and tasted of nothing - quick trip across the road for a coffee. Omelette was OK but bacon, beans, etc were stone cold.

Definitely our last stay here - ever!
BAGoldBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 16, 8:56 pm
  #537  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,524
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy View Post
So stayed here some years ago and vowed to never do so again. Found ourselves in Melbourne for a few days most of which were at the GH (Excellent). Thought 1 night at the PH couldn't be that bad.

At check in the young lady was deep in conversation with a colleague and took some time to acknowledge us. Very perfunctory check in with no welcome or explanations.

Cathedral suite (DSU) OK. Wife phoned down for curling tongs - 1. iron was delivered, 2. hair straighteners delivered 3. went to desk and asked again for curling tongs which were delivered but didn't work!

TV in bathroom didn't work.

Went to lounge for breakfast - hadn't been told that wasn't served in lounge. Back down to the restaurant. Coffee was pale and tasted of nothing - quick trip across the road for a coffee. Omelette was OK but bacon, beans, etc were stone cold.

Definitely our last stay here - ever!
Complain to Hyatt. Management here has let the hotel get worse and worse.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 16, 1:25 am
  #538  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Complain to Hyatt. Management here has let the hotel get worse and worse.
When I checked in at the PH SYD immediately after a (distinctly sub-par) stay at the PH MEL; I was told not to worry, "you're at a real Park Hyatt now".

Very telling... and also very true.
Jermyn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 16, 11:28 am
  #539  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Egham, Surrey, UK
Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Posts: 3,397
I received a mail asking for feedback on our stay which I will complete. Last time I completed a survey the GM mailed me and admitted their mistakes but doesn't seem to make a difference.
BAGoldBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 16, 7:28 pm
  #540  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 42
I stayed at the PH Melbourne last year and it was my worst stay for years. Then stayed at the GH Melbourne and was very pleased indeed.
I have absolutely no clue, how PH Melbourne qualifies being a PH.
Bellroy001 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread