Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Reply

Old Mar 17, 15, 6:46 am
  #496  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec and Ontario, Canada
Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,688
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Based on the previous reviews, your experience seems to be exceptional and not the norm.
Based on the whole post, m0hamed is one of the best guest of this hotel, so they probably take care of him the best they can... And it looks like many diamond members don't get the same treatment, unfortunately.
Yul_voyager is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 6:52 am
  #497  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,317
Anecdotal, but still true: clients I consistently sent to PH SYD and MEL (this time last year) unequivocally prefer the Langham now, despite not earning points/qualifying for elite bennies.....

What happened to these PHs?
pricesquire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 6:29 pm
  #498  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,488
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager View Post
Based on the whole post, m0hamed is one of the best guest of this hotel, so they probably take care of him the best they can... And it looks like many diamond members don't get the same treatment, unfortunately.
I'm not so sure. Remember, FTers are a tiny sample.

I recommend many friends to stay at the PH. I'm not the type to email a GM for favours. I recommend they book a club room and they have always had positive reviews as non status guests.

Their negative feedback is always that the hotel is not very modern.

I should add that the hotel has had a soft refresh. Apparently the Park Lounge was closed for 2 weeks in January and has new carpet, new furniture, wood panelling, lighting and throughout the other common areas they have added a significant amount of stunning modern art.
m0hamed is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 7:23 pm
  #499  
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Prospero
Programs: QF WP SPG PLAT
Posts: 1,421
My recent 5 night stay was certainly marred by one staff member. I had my car with me and for the bulk of my stay my car was left in the driveway, not parked away underground. So a minor annoyance, but nothing worth raising with the hotel.

However late one overcast morning I asked for my car which again was sitting out in the open, except this time the sunroof had been left open. (Note I did point out the open sunroof when I originally dropped off the car) I may have been overly fussy but I don't think it is acceptable to leave a car parked outside in the driveway for 20+ hours with the sunroof not closed. Of course there is the risk of rain, but also bird crap etc.

I've been raised with the (somewhat 60's value) that showing emotion in public is a sign of weakness, so when I raised the issue with the staff member in question - I was certainly not angry (nor friendly) just used a standard neutral/indifferent tone.

In turn I was treated in a rude, angry and dismissive manner - the leaving statement from the guy in question was "I don't think it rained last night - so what's the issue".

After talking to a few friends about it after lunch - decided to raise the issue with management . Mentioned to the Front Officer Manager that I wasn't overly happy with the action (not looking after my car) but no damage occurred so no big deal but I was very disappointed by the attitude given to me. After talking to the manager for a few minutes the staff member in question actually came storming over and interrupted what should have been a private conversation. Maybe I'm a delicate flower - but I was actually taken aback but the abrasive tone he took with the Manager.

Upon checking out the next day was met by the front office manager who said he had talked to the staff member about it.

Also filled in the post stay survey and gave a service rating of 4 or 5 (I did want to give a 1 or 0, but that seemed childish and petulant) and got a message from the GM assuring me that they have spoken to the staff member about maintaining the "Hyatt Touch".


So I'm sure future interactions with the staff member in question won't be uncomfortable .
chad75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 10:40 pm
  #500  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,488
The survey is one way to ensure comments and complaints are raised to the highest levels of management. Every score matters and the hotel has to action each complaint, and they are commended or penalised by Hyatt should the scores fall.

Every Mercedes Benz dealers have now resorted to politely requesting you give them 10s because they now that their commissions, bonuses and annual reviews include the scores from these surveys.
m0hamed is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 12:23 am
  #501  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
I'm not so sure. Remember, FTers are a tiny sample.

I recommend many friends to stay at the PH. I'm not the type to email a GM for favours. I recommend they book a club room and they have always had positive reviews as non status guests.

Their negative feedback is always that the hotel is not very modern.

I should add that the hotel has had a soft refresh. Apparently the Park Lounge was closed for 2 weeks in January and has new carpet, new furniture, wood panelling, lighting and throughout the other common areas they have added a significant amount of stunning modern art.
In regards to m0hamed's reviews and data points, I would also have to 100% agree and reiterate this is one of the better PH's out there in regards to looking after repeat clientele.

I have not stayed anywhere near the amount of times as others, but at least 6 stays per year and on each and every occasion, all my preferences have been met. And whenever something has come up, staff or management go above and beyond to ensure I get what was needed, or at least try and accommodate the request I have.

If you want all the mod cons and have the latest in gadgets, maybe the PH New York is more up your alley. Personally I feel the PH Melbourne has the right mix of old and new, and if you don't like something, or it isn't working out for you, say something then and there.
file51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:02 am
  #502  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,021
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
I'm not so sure. Remember, FTers are a tiny sample.
You're probably right. I'm sure most guests are treated as you are. Personal visit by the new GM, chicken soup, hot water with lemon, personal color printing in 5 minutes or less, offer of a balcony so you can have the fresh air you need. . .

My experience last week, and those of a pretty serious percentage of posters in this thread, must be the outliers.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:07 am
  #503  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,488
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
You're probably right. I'm sure most guests are treated as you are. Personal visit by the new GM, chicken soup, hot water with lemon, personal color printing in 5 minutes or less, offer of a balcony so you can have the fresh air you need. . .

My experience last week, and those of a pretty serious percentage of posters in this thread, must be the outliers.
What a delightful post from a FT moderator no less.

I assume the hotel would perform colour printing for any guest, and they would look after sick guests. I shall not apologise that I contribute far more to the property than you do, and that all Park Hyatts treat repeat Diamonds better than first timers.

Note that there are only 34 pages on FT with many posts by a small number of posters, but 1,066 unique reviews on Trip Advisor of which 87% are very good or excellent if you want to discuss statistics from a real sample.

Last edited by m0hamed; Mar 18, 15 at 1:19 am
m0hamed is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:16 am
  #504  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,021
Originally Posted by file51 View Post
If you want all the mod cons and have the latest in gadgets, maybe the PH New York is more up your alley. Personally I feel the PH Melbourne has the right mix of old and new, and if you don't like something, or it isn't working out for you, say something then and there.
Oh my.

A/C wouldn't cool the bedroom: "It's working fine, sir."

WiFi requiring sitting on the floor by the door to get a signal: "Yeah, I'm very sorry, we hear that a lot. It's a vendor that provides it and there is nothing we can do."

Sitting at breakfast with zero service in a mostly empty restaurant and having to say to the manager, "Excuse me, do we have a server?"

Just examples, but I promise, no shortage of making the point, "then and there."

The best Park Hyatt hotels in the world just don't react this way to a guest's issues. Whether a first-time guest or a regular. Really. They don't.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:21 am
  #505  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
I shall not apologise that I contribute far more to the property than you do, and that all Park Hyatts treat repeat Diamonds better than first timers.
But some people, including those that have voiced their opinions above expect heaven and earth to be moved for them.

It is a simple business relationship, you stay somewhere a lot, yes, you could probably expect a lot more than other Diamonds.

There are 2 Hyatt properties that are almost like second homes to me (1 x Hyatt Regency, the other a Grand Hyatt). The level of extras, and other amenities, and services that are most always charged to other Diamonds & CC holders, for which I get FOC ensure I keep going back. That said, that is after years and years of stays, with most stays being a week or longer, both on business and pleasure, many times per year.

Heck, just 2 weeks ago at one of these properties I simply needed to give a thumbs up to one of the chefs in the kitchen as I walked to my table and within 5 minutes the breakfast I really enjoy was delivered to my table... All the servers and attendants also greeted me by first name... Now this may only be a HR without a lounge, but to me that sort of thing is priceless...

Oh, when I had the flu in early January when there, they came to me with a lemon and honey tea, instead of my normal Latte... yes, I still had my coffee hit later, but to do that in my opinion is to go above and beyond
file51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:33 am
  #506  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
Oh my.

A/C wouldn't cool the bedroom: "It's working fine, sir."

WiFi requiring sitting on the floor by the door to get a signal: "Yeah, I'm very sorry, we hear that a lot. It's a vendor that provides it and there is nothing we can do."

Sitting at breakfast with zero service in a mostly empty restaurant and having to say to the manager, "Excuse me, do we have a server?"

Just examples, but I promise, no shortage of making the point, "then and there."

The best Park Hyatt hotels in the world just don't react this way to a guest's issues. Whether a first-time guest or a regular. Really. They don't.
Firstly, I, along with several family members and friends who have stayed in separate rooms, with no Hyatt status on many occasions have never had an issue with the WiFi. Maybe there was an issue on a specific day, I don't know. If they didn't fix it then, which I would find surprising, have you followed up with Hyatt Corporate or the hotel directly to ensure this is not repeated.

What temperature were you trying to get the room to, and what was the room temperature reading? Some systems are only equipped to go down to 18-19c yet some guests prefer lower.

I just travelled with 2 colleagues and we were in 2BR suites for most of last week. On most occasions each room had its own temperature controller, however at the HR OC it was 1 controller for the entire suite... they wanted 74f I wanted 66f... to me 74f is too warm, yet for them it is bordering on cold... What I am trying to say is everyone has different preferences, maybe yours was outside what the actual AC could provide (if however you simply wanted 70f, and it would not get to that temp, then there is an issue)

The breakfast issue I personally find out of character for this hotel, and should not be tolerated at all... I agree the hotel dropped the ball on this one.

Whilst airing grievances here, I would hope you have contacted someone to ensure firstly you receive and apology, which I doubt you will have any issues receiving, and if required, adequate compensation (points, refund etc etc).

If all you seem to be getting is a brick wall in regards to the above, contact Dana Mowrey at Omaha, I have found her, and all the customer care staff more than willing and able to help if required
file51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:40 am
  #507  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,021
Originally Posted by file51 View Post
But some people, including those that have voiced their opinions above expect heaven and earth to be moved for them.
"Heaven and earth." Okay.

Air conditioning, working WiFi, fresh towels, replenished coffee, a server at breakfast . . . It seems my expectations as a first time guest of this Park Hyatt were unreasonable. Duly noted.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:43 am
  #508  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Just to give a different perspective.... My (first) stay last year was pretty good. Nice Diamond recognition and great service overall. No problems with any of the staff and I did like the property a lot. So much more than the stay that followed at the GH....

Could have that things have gone down in a year, but everything was great for me last year.
RTW1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:44 am
  #509  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
"Heaven and earth." Okay.

Air conditioning, working WiFi, fresh towels, replenished coffee, a server at breakfast . . . It seems my expectations as a first time guest of this Park Hyatt were unreasonable. Duly noted.
And as mentioned above, FT is a very very small target audience, yet over 1,000 reviews on a popular review website state the opposite to what you say?

87%...

Duly noted...
file51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:58 am
  #510  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,021
Originally Posted by file51 View Post
Firstly, I, along with several family members and friends who have stayed in separate rooms, with no Hyatt status on many occasions have never . . .
Folks, here's the thing. I don't doubt for a minute that several of you and your friends and family have stayed at this hotel countless times and have never had the experience that I had. You are regulars. You should be treated exceptionally. I'm a regular at a small number of properties I frequent, where they treat me as you describe your treatment. As it should be.

AND, I came to Australia and Melbourne for the first time. Based upon my experience at Park Hyatt hotels all around the world, I chose the Park Hyatt Melbourne. I've described my experience. It was THE most disappointing Park Hyatt experience I've ever had. I'm sorry. Really, I am. It was a REALLY big trip. But it was what it was.

Now, you can challenge whether I'm being truthful, but I'll let my FT history speak for itself. My experience was my experience. And no number of your great experiences will make mine any less real -- or any less disappointing.

I raised my issues at the time and reported how that went. I got no sense that feedback mattered. So I'm moving on -- and letting my fellow FTers know of my experience.

I wish had not chosen this hotel. It's really not personal, it just didn't live up to my expectations of a Park Hyatt. Should others be making a similar choice, it's A data point they deserve to have.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread