Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Reply

Old Nov 2, 14, 11:55 pm
  #451  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Now that the 1,000 point bonus can be selected outside the US, some properties chose to only provide the amenity if selected at check in. I would have though the PH MEL, like other PHs, was above this.
I don't really see the complaint here..... all it means is that it's now your choice if you value the points over an amenity, or otherwise. Why would you expect a property to offer both?
RTW1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 14, 12:03 am
  #452  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,024
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
I don't really see the complaint here..... all it means is that it's now your choice if you value the points over an amenity, or otherwise. Why would you expect a property to offer both?
In my experience, most Park Hyatt properties I've been to seem to do both. I don't expect it, and I wouldn't complain about it -- even here. But it's definitely something in my experience that tends to set them apart.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 14, 1:41 am
  #453  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,525
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
I don't really see the complaint here..... all it means is that it's now your choice if you value the points over an amenity, or otherwise. Why would you expect a property to offer both?
Read the posts up thread. Diamond recognition, collectively, used to be stellar. It has declined with the 2 recent GMs.

Most properties that have a guest with over 200 nights differentiate then over other Diamonds. The daily Hyatt staff briefings including a total number of night at Hyatt worldwide, as well as that single property for recognition.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 14, 11:01 am
  #454  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
I don't need to read up.... even though things might have changed I find your expectation of getting both the points and then the also amenity (which was compensated with points) to be somewhat ludicrous. Simply state you want the amenity and be done with it, that's what a choice between two things actually means.

Last edited by RTW1; Nov 3, 14 at 11:09 am
RTW1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 14, 11:34 am
  #455  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 302
Is it common for suites to have less maximum guests per room than non-suites? I have a stay coming up at the end of December and was hoping to use a DSU. The entry suite is available but no dice due to maximum guests per room = 2. Will have to hope for a Club Deluxe at check-in as I'm on a P&C rate.
Nehawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 14, 1:31 pm
  #456  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,525
Originally Posted by Nehawk View Post
Is it common for suites to have less maximum guests per room than non-suites? I have a stay coming up at the end of December and was hoping to use a DSU. The entry suite is available but no dice due to maximum guests per room = 2. Will have to hope for a Club Deluxe at check-in as I'm on a P&C rate.
DSUs are wasted at this property. You don't need to hope for a Club Deluxe, as a Diamond you are unofficially guaranteed one.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 14, 2:14 pm
  #457  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 302
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
DSUs are wasted at this property. You don't need to hope for a Club Deluxe, as a Diamond you are unofficially guaranteed one.
Thanks!
Nehawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 14, 8:08 am
  #458  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 3
So, have a forthcoming stay over Christmas at the PHMelbourne. Didn't apply my DSU & this is my 2nd award stay at this property. I take it for those that have stayed recently diamond upgrade to Club deluxe has pretty much been implicitly guaranteed? Tx in advance,
davidliu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 14, 4:21 pm
  #459  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,525
Originally Posted by davidliu View Post
So, have a forthcoming stay over Christmas at the PHMelbourne. Didn't apply my DSU & this is my 2nd award stay at this property. I take it for those that have stayed recently diamond upgrade to Club deluxe has pretty much been implicitly guaranteed? Tx in advance,
Look 2 posts higher
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 14, 4:44 am
  #460  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
Programs: First Time Flyer
Posts: 810
Let me put it this way, I have only ever stayed in "Club Deluxe King" or "Park Deluxe Spa" rooms (~60sqm) when booking the cheapest (base) room using my company's rate, or the recent flash sale rate.

I have never personally used a DSU here, but I know some FTers who have. It seems that you get the regular "Park Suite", sometimes known as the "Cathedral Suite" because they overlook St Patrick's Cathedral. Those rooms are ~55sqm, and have a long, thin layout.

The other (larger) suites in this hotel are amazing, but I have never stayed in one as a guest.

As such, I suggest your DSU might be better used elsewhere.
penegal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 14, 8:28 pm
  #461  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Represa CA
Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
Posts: 2,497
Originally Posted by penegal View Post
The other (larger) suites in this hotel are amazing, but I have never stayed in one as a guest.
Upgraded to Diplomat suite on a point stay. One of the top suites I've had with Hyatt.
hedoman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 14, 2:08 am
  #462  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CVG
Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Posts: 1,415
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Read the posts up thread. Diamond recognition, collectively, used to be stellar. It has declined with the 2 recent GMs.

Most properties that have a guest with over 200 nights differentiate then over other Diamonds. The daily Hyatt staff briefings including a total number of night at Hyatt worldwide, as well as that single property for recognition.
Do you happen to know how award nights either points or points + cash figure into the total world side nights, and is this by year or by lifetime?
sam_goh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 14, 3:16 am
  #463  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,525
Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
Do you happen to know how award nights either points or points + cash figure into the total world side nights, and is this by year or by lifetime?
It's a cumulative count of: a) Nights at this hotel b) Nights at Hyatt worldwide.

Both figures are a lifetime total.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 14, 4:11 pm
  #464  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CVG
Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Posts: 1,415
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
It's a cumulative count of: a) Nights at this hotel b) Nights at Hyatt worldwide.

Both figures are a lifetime total.
Interesting - so do award nights count too, or just paid nights?
sam_goh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 14, 1:48 pm
  #465  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 238
Hi, I'm looking to make a 2 night booking at this hotel using Chase UR points for the Gourmet Delight package with $100 food voucher.

Can see that I can make 2 separate 1 night bookings that shows the voucher. Does anyone know if do that, I can get the $100 credit twice, as in for each night? I'd be willing to also book one night in my name, and the other in my wife's then checkout/checkin between nights if this would work.

Also does anyone know if this package is good for room service or breakfast, besides dinner?

Last edited by njdealguy; Dec 9, 14 at 1:58 pm
njdealguy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread