Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:28 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
Advice from the experts: I'm in Melbourne from noon July 29 to my 9 AM flight the next day with my wife. We'd love to catch the flavor of the city. Should I stay at the Park Hyatt For 220 Australian (elite rate) or cash and points at the Grand Hyatt (their night rate is 335 so it's C & P or nothing)

IMHO hands down the Grand Hyatt

Slightly better Location, cheaper rate on C & P awesome evening spread and superior selection and variety and better breakfast prior to departure
The basic room is better at the Park Hyatt if that matters most
However you can always ask for a non club floor room at the GH which is a larger angled room which feels somewhat like a suite or oversized room
Though the front wall faces the elevators It has never been an issue for me and I am a light sleeper
Its actually one of their more quiet rooms without upgrading or paying for a jr suite
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

IMHO hands down the Grand Hyatt

Slightly better Location, cheaper rate on C & P awesome evening spread and superior selection and variety and better breakfast prior to departure
You must have been there a while ago. I stayed in both in January and the GH club offerings have gone downhill. Breakfast was especially lousy. The PH's restaurant breakfast was miles better... As was the property in general.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The Park. That is a very good rate.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:42 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Sorry 777, there is no way the GH Club breakfast offering is better. It's basically fruit and 1 or 2 pastries with no hot items. They charge a $22 upgrade to eat in the Collins Kitchen, which yes, is very good.

As such, the PH Breakfast in Radii is by far superior. Even if they apply an $8 up charge it's still great value.

The options are: 1) A corporate hotel which is modern and pretty in the main areas, small noisy rooms with a dated bathroom or 2) A junior suite, possibly with a fireplace, crafted as understated elegance and two phenomenal club lounge hosts.

Clearly the latter is the Park Hyatt.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sorry 777, there is no way the GH Club breakfast offering is better. It's basically fruit and 1 or 2 pastries with no hot items. They charge a $22 upgrade to eat in the Collins Kitchen, which yes, is very good.

As such, the PH Breakfast in Radii is by far superior. Even if they apply an $8 up charge it's still great value.

The options are: 1) A corporate hotel which is modern and pretty in the main areas, small noisy rooms with a dated bathroom or 2) A junior suite, possibly with a fireplace, crafted as understated elegance and two phenomenal club lounge hosts.

Clearly the latter is the Park Hyatt.
Sorry Mohamed its just my opinion and I respect yours as well and your personal likes
There is simply no correct answer for all guests and at some point simply objective.

Having said that they typically do an exceptional Continental club lounge breakfast I give the Grand Hyatt ^^^
I'd also add that the professional attitude, attention to detail and hospitable team at the Grand Hyatt ran rings around the inexperienced and amateur inattentive service at the Park Hyatt
on both mornings experienced.

As isolated as it may be at the Park Hyatt do I bring up the non replenished plates on the buffet for exceeding long periods two mornings in a row?
The number one reason I said hands down to ThreeA4Me as my recommendation is that they can be in and out in a timely manner
to explore the city without frustration at a great value on redemption 12k or cash and points

I know you are a huge fan of the Park Hyatt Melbourne I once was
Today I'm generally neutral on the property and aware one may do better at the PH if an above average room standard is the main objective.
Did the Park Hyatt stop their past practice of up charging Diamonds for breakfast hot foods? Just curious as their were past complaints. No one at the hotel advised either way
Cheers
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

So am I marooned if I check into Park Hyatt? Figured we would just uber it around to various fun places and foodie havens. 208 AUS seemed really good -- better than P & C for Grand Hyatt
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Melbourne is easy to get around with public transportation or by walking...And the tram stops almost in front of the hotel.

Book the PH and be done with it.

I normally haven't been disappointed with the advice here, but after staying at the PH the GH was a major disappointment for me. And I had just a standard room at the PH since I needed two beds. The only thing I rather liked about the GH was the view. That is not saying it's a bad hotel, but the general impression was that they had "recently" started the club offerings quite a bit. And offering the restaurant breakfast at something like $22 I felt was an insult.

Even without that I liked the PH a whole lot better.

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:19 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
So am I marooned if I check into Park Hyatt? Figured we would just uber it around to various fun places and foodie havens. 208 AUS seemed really good -- better than P & C for Grand Hyatt
Its about a half mile and still easy walking distance to the sights.
At 208 Australian you simply can't go wrong
Good value
If I was staying more nights and paying close to the same it would matter to me more which property I was staying in
Some prefer the Park and some prefer the Grand. It depends really what's important to you in the end

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 4, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:27 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
My NGO rate was $260. $208 is great value.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:12 pm
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
I had stayed at the PH Melbourne for 18 months and it is my favorite property in the city.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I've stayed at both properties numerous times over the last year or so. I like both -- each has its minor differences but I've been quite happy with both. If you want a big corporate hotel, go for the GH. If you want something more intimate, the PH is best.

I'm Diam and have always been given the same room at each property: an extra large room that overlooks the Cathedral at the PH and a corner room at the GH. Happy with both.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Is it worth it using an Suite upgrade cert. at this hotel? It seems as if the deluxe room is bigger than the suite as per the hotel website.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by bertuzzi
Is it worth it using an Suite upgrade cert. at this hotel? It seems as if the deluxe room is bigger than the suite as per the hotel website.
Try searching. This questions has been asked countless times.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Try searching. This questions has been asked countless times.
wouldn't it be just as easy to just answer his question?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by chavala
wouldn't it be just as easy to just answer his question?
I have. There are also threads comparing both hotels and their suites. There's no need to reiterate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.